• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Packs.... for Saddle hunting

Buckhorn70

SH Member
What packs do you guys use or find best for Saddle hunting?

I've tried a Badlands Superday. Although it's a nice pack... I find it bulky in the tree and kinda heavy. It has nice capacity though.

I've been using a fleece pack by Kathy Kelly design for the last 3/4 years. It's a good pack that is light and quiet. I really don't like how Flimsy the pack is and the zippers unzip really easy.

Suggestions?

Tenzing TZ is tall, well organized, lightweight, has a frame, hydration, large enough for winter layers or turkey decoys

DayOne fleece is a better version of a floppy pack. Has elastic instead of zippers. Totally silent, stretches to hold quite a bit

I recently picked up a badlands silent reaper. I haven't hunted with it yet, but it seems to be able to organize me gear and carry it out nicely. Late season will require a bigger pack to deal with extra clothes, but so far I like it.
158a65b5afa07ce8422832ee16917cfa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a badlands 2200 that I can pack anything I need and it's easy to organize. I haven't used it from the tree this year but it's a great option when carrying sticks or if you have to pack something out. I have a couple small day packs that are light and will hold my stepps, with ease. That's mostly what I have been using so far. Then I have a fanny pack that I only use for short hunts at presets.

Kifaru Woodsman. Pretty good capacity, but it compresses pretty good for day hunting. The frame is designed to carry heavy loads, so hopefully it will be able to pack out a quartered out whitetail and gear in a single trip.

One thing with using a nicer pack is that even 15+ pounds of sticks/platform/gear doesn't really feel like anything at all, vs the same load on a smaller pack without a good weight transfer system.

I use the backpack from Field and Stream It Works real well with my Kestrel I also use a badlands monster fanny pack and I have another backpack which I cannot think of the name but it also carries my bow.

I use a 5.11 Rush 12

It fits my saddle, water, linesman belts, etc inside and I strap my spurs to the outside.

This is everything I take but my bow...
cd93412bf1042b65653a086fb36015db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckhorn,

Just to stress a point.....I completely understand what you don't like about your flimsy fleece pack. But anything else will be noisy in comparison. If you tend to get into your pack for things, it takes some getting used to.

Horn Hunter Mainbeam

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have the Field and Stream Outback...fits my evolution, Stepp platform and gear. Could probably use something lighter but it has done the job for several years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I plan on buying a molle II gen 4 pack frame to play around with hauling sticks and a platform and pending success on Ohio public land a quartered out deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a superday out west but it is way too big for saddle hunting. I tried it and didn't like it.

I picked up a like new badlands reactor for 20 lousy bucks and have been loving it in the tree! I am a minimalist though. I use the one stick method with my platform on the same stick so I don't have much.

I may need to rethink things if and when I get spurs.

D11AD025-C5EE-4F4E-863C-CC3CAA236563.jpeg I wish our weather let me go minimalist like Boudreaux.
When it’s hot out, I can just use a 5.11 Push or Maxpedition Fatboy

But this year I am going ahead and using my pack all the time just to get used to it

Tenzing TZ is tall, well organized, lightweight, has a frame, hydration, large enough for winter layers or turkey decoys

DayOne fleece is a better version of a floppy pack. Has elastic instead of zippers. Totally silent, stretches to hold quite a bit

I've seen the DAy One online..... What is the mail compartment size? How do you like it?

I've seen the DAy One online..... What is the mail compartment size? How do you like it?
You don’t want to carry a lot of weight because it is a formless fleece pack.

But it has well positioned elastic top pouches on the sides where I carry a thermos and a tube quiver. Elastic pouches on the top and side inside where I carry calls and gear haul rope. It can be stuffed pretty well.

But the big plus is no noise.

What about the main compartment for Saddle. Tie in rope and strap on platform for Ratchet Ameristeps?

Can you cinch an extra coat to the outside?

Back