• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Paint sealer

Nc-swamphntr

Hey guys, i am painting my platform, sticks and squirrel steps, was wondering if anyone had some advise on what kind of clear coat to use that will hold up to the abuse and cause the paimt to flake out on me after

Nothing that wouldn’t add a shine. I painted my platform using an aluminum primer followed by the color. So far, it’s held up well and the only wear will be on side the deer will never see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any two part epoxy coat would be your best bet, but even that would obviously tend to show wear with lots of use. You can knock any shine off with a top coat of a matte clear coat, or just hit it with some bowstring wax. Rust-Oleum sells a two-part epoxy finish in rattle can form, you just have to use it all the day you break the seal in the can.

Check out Testors Dullcote. I've used it on several rifle stock jobs now to protect the pattern and eliminate any reflectiveness. That being said, use multiple light coats vs. one heavy coat!

Back