• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Painting cast aluminum/predator platform.

dustinsitzes

Hello there,

I am wondering what process and products everyone is using to prepare the surface of aluminum predator platform before priming. I know from experience that it needs to be a self etching or universal bonding primer of some sort or it will not properly adhere to the surface. I have used rustoleum self etching primer on some cast aluminum in the past and it did not work very well. Any thoughts?

I have no desire to paint mine. I tumbled it to remove the sharp edges and corners. I drilled out the post to accept nylon bushings to keep it quiet. It's ready to rock and roll.

I did see a guy online who, after a coat or two of primer, was putting sand on and then painting over the sand. He specified (paraphrasing) that they do that for steps on heavy machinery and it helps w/traction/grip. First I'd seen that idea. Think it was on the fBook page and it was during a quick scan.

Just remember to use self etching primer for any bare aluminum or the paint is evntually going to come off

Better yet, why does a platform that cost $180 not come with a finish on it?
Haha true! I think the process of prepping the aluminum and properly priming would cost too much. I think line wolf stands are bare cast aluminum too. Not 100% sure though

Because if it came with a finish people would complain they wanted a different color! Lol. Just a time issue I’m sure. Ernie and crew have a hard enough time keeping up as it is. Be cool to offer some different finishes in the future tho

Tethrd-Ginger Ninja/Fire Crotch Fiddler

Haha true! I think the process of prepping the aluminum and properly priming would cost too much. I think line wolf stands are bare cast aluminum too. Not 100% sure though
This thread is a little too late for me. I just shot mine with some regular old flat paint which apparently isn't going to stick worth anything. Oh well, I only care about keeping reflections down from underneath.

Because there’s nothing wrong with the bare cast aluminum platform. None of my cast aluminum stands came with a paint job either.

Edit: I am glad it is bare, I am considering hydro dipping it.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

I hunted with mine most of the year last year right out of the box. Come on guys, camo on a dull grated platform is NOT a big game changer and is an easy DIY. would we really want the added cost to spray paint them?

Release your inner Van Gogh

I painted mine. Not so it would hide itself better from deer while up in the tree but mostly because I was bored and it kept me out of trouble for about an hour. I used the G2 Outdoors method followed by a touch of black after laying down some net like material on it

I’m happy with it but painting it is more for fun rather than for any type of hunting advantage

1e89fae9a85127d2b1de1ed5cf14fffb.jpg

bb80c0b4e2de775f66cee7de54f442b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back