• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pan seared dove breast - NO bacon required

Bama_Xander

I don’t think I have ever had dove breast without it being wrapped in bacon. I shot two doves yesterday while waiting on a friend to arrrive at his farm where we were going to work on a project. I have been recently trying to cook wild game in new ways (without Italian dressing, cream cheese, jalapeño, or wrapped in bacon). Meat Eater has been a big inspiration to me. So I decided to just simply pan sear these two doves to truly taste the meat.

I just salt and peppered then seared both sides in some hot grape seed oil (high smoking temp). Then I through in some butter , smashed garlic and rosemary. I basted for a couple min then pulled them off. They were cooked a little over Medium. After resting I sliced and enjoyed. It was delicious. I could truly taste the dove. It was quite nice.

So next time, free your doves from the bacon mummy wrap and let the dove shine on its own.

6F5556B2-597D-4A78-BD81-66C9508D2A5D.jpeg

Now that you’ve seen the light, do yourself a favor and pluck them next time. Doves are the easiest bird there is to pluck. Cook them whole on the grill. You will NOT be disappointed.

Now that you’ve seen the light, do yourself a favor and pluck them next time. Doves are the easiest bird there is to pluck. Cook them whole on the grill. You will NOT be disappointed.

I totally agree with that. I have wanted to do that but I shot them and didn’t have but a few minutes to clean them because my buddy was ready to get going on the project before the Alabama heat got too hot so I just quickly removed the breast whole and through in a ziplock my cooler.

But I plan on going back next Friday just to hunt and I will be plucking them.

Dove are one of my favorites We do a lot of bird hunting When frying them or grilling i like to debreast them but if i am gonna smother fry them and make some gravy over them which is my favorite i want him plucked MAAAAAN are they goood

I was able to go back today. While I was waiting on my buddy to show up to shoot bows, I was able to get 4 to bring home. Took your recommendation and plucked them. They are prepped and ready to cook tomorrow.

AFC30F1D-E974-4E61-B4C1-3E5B2BB64290.jpeg

743BE00C-DDAC-468A-81A2-9A455FB265E6.jpeg

Good job, I’m more & more inspired to try new techniques, especially after listening to the MeatEater podcast

I was able to go back today. While I was waiting on my buddy to show up to shoot bows, I was able to get 4 to bring home. Took your recommendation and plucked them. They are prepped and ready to cook tomorrow.

View attachment 17674

View attachment 17675

You won’t be disappointed, I can promise you that.

If you really want to make yourself wish you had more of the rub em with olive oil and put some salt and pepper on them. Then put on the grill breast down for a short period of time near the heat just to crisp up the skin a bit then pull them off and bast with some BBQ sauce and move them away from the fire to cook. And if you have some blueberries handy put some BBQ sauce in a pan and mash some blueberries up in and mix it up and bring up to heat then put that on the doves......ooooooo yeah.

Back