• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pant color in the field, which do you choose?

BackSpasm

SH Member
Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy some solid, higher $ hunting pants this season and upgrade a little from the ragtag bunch I currently have in the stable. Here is my dilemma: I much prefer to buy solid colors for bottoms but WHICH solid if you could only have ONE do it all pant?

From early season through late season, which color do you think is best for the hunter who uses a wide range of styles from ground hunting to saddle hunting to some occasional out west activities?

Grey: sure does look like all these tree trunks I am hunting and stalking in.... but sticks out more in fields and open areas. Possibly higher contrast in early season. I wear grey pants in the tree often currently

Coyote/Khaki: works awesome when the leaves are off and out west.... cons: possibly sticks out more in a tree or in early season, makes you look like a deer for some other dingus from saddlehunter.com to shoot at. I avoid coyote-colored packs because I don't want to look like a deer...

Foliage Green: may stick out more in the woods in late season depending on the understory, including up in the tree, seems to be the middle ground I am leaning toward, to me (thinking changes daily) this is the most versatile option

Thoughts?

You're over thinking it.

Buy whatever neutral color looks best to your wife.
Hahah listen man, if I am gonna spend some money on a pair of pants, I want to deliberate, hem and haw, change my mind 5 or 6 times, and then hungrily anticipate the arrival. Overthinking is half the fun especially when its a splurge purchase

What color will you feel the most normal walking around town or running an errand/grabbing ice after a hunt? If that factors in, pick the one that looks like rocks or dirt, or maybe the one that looks like plants. You're good to go.

I vote khaki

Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy some solid, higher $ hunting pants this season and upgrade a little from the ragtag bunch I currently have in the stable. Here is my dilemma: I much prefer to buy solid colors for bottoms but WHICH solid if you could only have ONE do it all pant?

From early season through late season, which color do you think is best for the hunter who uses a wide range of styles from ground hunting to saddle hunting to some occasional out west activities?

Grey: sure does look like all these tree trunks I am hunting and stalking in.... but sticks out more in fields and open areas. Possibly higher contrast in early season. I wear grey pants in the tree often currently

Coyote/Khaki: works awesome when the leaves are off and out west.... cons: possibly sticks out more in a tree or in early season, makes you look like a deer for some other dingus from saddlehunter.com to shoot at. I avoid coyote-colored packs because I don't want to look like a deer...

Foliage Green: may stick out more in the woods in late season depending on the understory, including up in the tree, seems to be the middle ground I am leaning toward, to me (thinking changes daily) this is the most versatile option

Thoughts?
Stone Glacier De Haveland Pants. Done.

They also make a light version for spring summer fall seasons.

Last edited:
What color will you feel the most normal walking around town or running an errand/grabbing ice after a hunt? If that factors in, pick the one that looks like rocks or dirt, or maybe the one that looks like plants. You're good to go.

I vote khaki

Truth. I avoid light color clothing like the plague....My go to is dark grey for pants. But take it from me, top colors does not matter. There is no palette or camo that can hide newborn's puke on your shoulder.

I honestly don't think it matters one iota. I could maybe see the logic of staying away from super light color or black, but I've hunted with my black rain pants enough to believe those have zero impact.

But. I've always had an eye for loden green and I'm admittedly an Outdoor Research fanboy, so that's my final answer. As far as what my wife likes, she loves my male yoga pants not sure the color matters.
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-ferrosi-pants-32-287641

Get the green. Hunters will think you are a game warden and avoid you.
True story.

I had a gamekeeper shirt that was olive green with chest pockets and some sort of shield crest type logo.

I had a pair of khaki pants.

I had an olive green hat.

I had sunglasses.

I was pulled over at a boat ramp glassing a bay for waterfowl to hunt that weekend. I ended up spending an inordinate amount of time talking to an older man and his teenage son about hunting. The conversation shifted from hunting, to some of the trickier regulations (no-motor bays, wording regarding permanent blinds, no-hunt zones, that kinda thing) to DCNR politics.

I answered some question he asked with, "Brother, you'd have to ask the warden on that one." He chuckled and asked me if I was the biologist instead.

I should rock that getup more often. Maybe go full throttle and open carry a G17

This is pretty darn close to what I am thinking. I am gonna try to snag some of the first lite corrugate foundry pants on sale if they put them back up for the end of the year and I have a little Christmas jingle in my pocket. I have some of their other stuff and have really loved it

I have honestly thought about a hunting truck kitted out to be as close to a game warden's truck as I can get away with. I would bet good money that nobody would park within a mile of me and go in and hunt if they saw it parked on the side of the road.

Truth. I avoid light color clothing like the plague....My go to is dark grey for pants. But take it from me, top colors does not matter. There is no palette or camo that can hide newborn's puke on your shoulder.
You may have found the secret behind how some of these odd new camo patterns were created. Man kids can splatter a variety of colors and consistencies. My youngest just turned 5 so the sources are different and are thankfully mostly external but the splatters remain.

This is pretty darn close to what I am thinking. I am gonna try to snag some of the first lite corrugate foundry pants on sale if they put them back up for the end of the year and I have a little Christmas jingle in my pocket. I have some of their other stuff and have really loved it
If you find them on sale let me know, I'll do the same they are towards the top of my want to try but not at full price list

I thought they only made women’s jean pants that expensive.

True story.

I had a gamekeeper shirt that was olive green with chest pockets and some sort of shield crest type logo.

I had a pair of khaki pants.

I had an olive green hat.

I had sunglasses.

I was pulled over at a boat ramp glassing a bay for waterfowl to hunt that weekend. I ended up spending an inordinate amount of time talking to an older man and his teenage son about hunting. The conversation shifted from hunting, to some of the trickier regulations (no-motor bays, wording regarding permanent blinds, no-hunt zones, that kinda thing) to DCNR politics.

I answered some question he asked with, "Brother, you'd have to ask the warden on that one." He chuckled and asked me if I was the biologist instead.

I should rock that getup more often. Maybe go full throttle and open carry a G17
STOLEN VALOR LOL

Get the green. Hunters will think you are a game warden and avoid you.

This is a great idea. I don't want to get in trouble for impersonating an officer, but looking vaguely like one while scouting and hunting might keep people out of your public land honey hole!

Back