• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pant's or bib in the saddle?

Yooper14

I'm new to this so bear with me. I'm about to spend a couple few hundred dollars and get some halfway decent camo. The only question I have regarding that is whether or not bibs are more or less comfortable in the saddle. The way I picture it bibs would actually work a little better than pants but seeing as I have no experience I'm hoping that someone could lend me some advice. I'm also leaning towards bibs because by the time I'm done hunting in late December it could be negative 20 degrees so they would help keep me warm. Not worried about overheating early in the season cause the jacket can come off easily enough. All that being said. Is there a downside to bibs in the saddle before I spend 180$ on them. Thanks for any and all help.

I like bibs. No reason they wouldn’t work well with a saddle. Most people want their pants pockets empty in a saddle so bibs would give you a chest pocket to put your wallet.

I would save up and get both. The pants are great for early season and walking in during late season. Then just put bibs on over top of pants as it gets colder in late season. What I do is carry my bibs in with me and put them on at the base of the tree before I climb.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bibs are great and I run them a lot, seeing as you are in UP. I would think bibs are highly appropriate. That being said I picked up a decent early season pant as well. The bibs that good at freezing temps or lower are too hot at early season temps. The bibs are also good because there's no chance of the jacket riding up too far and giving you a cold spot on your back.

As stated, bibs are warmer but I probably only wear them 15% of the time because the other 85% of the time it's not cold enough to need them. However, during that 15% of hunts, it's nice to have good bibs. That being said, if money is limited, I'd rather spend it on the 85% of hunts since thats the majority of the time in the woods. You can pick up cheap bibs for the extreme weather.

I love bibs. I have an uninsulated pair for early season that I got from Cabelas years ago. Would love to find another pair. Everything I see now just seem pretty cheaply made.

My bibs are usually too warm until about Nov 15, but I start wearing them around Halloween with an early-season shirt and they keep my whole everything toasty. The only downside to bibs in a saddle is that you have to make sure the fly on your bibs is accessible. I’m obsessed with accessible potty breaks. My bibs are pretty liberal in the zipper category, with a down-zip and an up-zip on the same line to ensure I can relieve myself (or just air my core out sometimes) in a mess-free manner. My parka actually has the same, but for access to my treestand harness loops lol.
Sorry if I derailed this with pee pee talk, but I drink so much water and coffee when I hunt, I now spend more time analyzing fly accessibility when I buy hunting clothes than I do analyzing the effectiveness of those clothes in every other category but warmth.

My bibs are usually too warm until about Nov 15, but I start wearing them around Halloween with an early-season shirt and they keep my whole everything toasty. The only downside to bibs in a saddle is that you have to make sure the fly on your bibs is accessible. I’m obsessed with accessible potty breaks. My bibs are pretty liberal in the zipper category, with a down-zip and an up-zip on the same line to ensure I can relieve myself (or just air my core out sometimes) in a mess-free manner. My parka actually has the same, but for access to my treestand harness loops lol.
Sorry if I derailed this with pee pee talk, but I drink so much water and coffee when I hunt, I now spend more time analyzing fly accessibility when I buy hunting clothes than I do analyzing the effectiveness of those clothes in every other category but warmth.
Nailed it.

I run an early season pant (FL corrugate). Then switch to a soft shell bib as soon as I can (FL Northbranch). I absolutely love the bibs. No belt or extra fabric making uncomfortable spots in the saddle. My favorite part is no cold drafts.

You can get any old early season pants. Get the good bibs and don’t look back.

I run an early season pant (FL corrugate). Then switch to a soft shell bib as soon as I can (FL Northbranch). I absolutely love the bibs. No belt or extra fabric making uncomfortable spots in the saddle. My favorite part is no cold drafts.

You can get any old early season pants. Get the good bibs and don’t look back.
100%. This is what I do also. Switched to a home-made Heater Body Suit thingy when I lived in NY if it got super cold. That thing was the cats. I could be warm enough to take a nap during pre-sunrise to post-sunset sits in 25 mph wind, 5 degrees F.

New game now that I'm n KY (as of spring 2017) and usind a saddle (maiden year). I still have yet to figure things out, but I'm confident that aQUALTY bib will do the trick.

I like bibs. I have a mid season pair and a late season pair. Two thing that are a must for me when picking a bib is full leg zippers that can be unzipped from the top down for ventilation while walking in and climbing and also a chest pocket and functional/secure cargo pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use bibs when it's cold. I recommend you get a pair with full-length leg zippers, both to simplify getting on/off over boots and especially for controlled ventilation.

I was going to grab a pair of overalls for early season that are uninsulated. Only thing I cant stand about using the saddle is my shirt creeps up my back

Back