• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Patent Research - Tethrd

jhunter13

SH Member
With all the discussion in the forums today regarding cease and desist letters, frustrations with this company or that company I figured it may be worth reading the actual patent Tethrd filed to better understand if other companies were infringing on their patent or not.

I am not affiliated with tethrd or any other saddle company. Just simply sharing readily available information from the US Patent and Trademark Office website.

Link: https://uspto.report/patent/app/20200305412

Patent # 16/375378

Abstract: A tree stand platform assembly includes a platform for supporting a hunter and which has a perimeter edge. The perimeter edge includes a front edge, a rear edge, a first lateral edge and a second lateral edge. The platform has a top surface, a bottom surface and an outer surface positioned between the top and bottom surfaces. The first and second lateral edges each include a front section abutting the front edge and a rear section abutting the rear edge. The rear section includes toe receiver. The toe receiver is formed by an obtuse angle formed in the outer surface of the rear section, wherein the obtuse angle is less than 160.degree.. The toe receiver provides an engagement point for a hunter's foot as the hunter rotates laterally away from the platform.

I might be in the minority, but I don't really care about any of this. I do know this, if I had a patent on something I would fight with everything I had to protect it. That wouldn't make me a bad person, it makes me a good business person. Tethrd is getting a bad rap because they have openly discussed copying/improving things that did not have a patent, but that's the copied businesses fault. It doesn't take a law degree to see that a couple of the platform designs were born from the predator platform.
Looks like all saddles copy there safety harness assembly in some way or the other also.:eek:

What about this one:

Guess I better reply to this one lol. When I came out with the Transformer Ernie called to congratulate me and order one for his museum. He then told me that they filed a patent a couple years ago on a similar design that they decided not to pursue. I asked him what that meant for me and the Transformer and he told me not to worry about it at all and to keep making it. He knew I didn’t copy their design because the patent application wasn’t public at the time that he called me. He said that if the patent went through someday they would reach out to me and work out a licensing deal with me, meaning I would pay a very small fee to them for every saddle I build. I never felt bullied or threatened at all. I was really appreciative of how nice they were about the whole thing and left that conversation without a care in the world about the patent. We even joked about how similar our idea was. I don’t know if they will get the patent or not, but if they do I’m sure they will work with me to keep producing the Transformer because they’re good guys that have always been straight forward and honest with me, so I trust them at their word and just keep moving forward. If they are awarded a patent I don’t mind to pay a licensing fee to use the design since they thought of it before I did and put up the money to patent it. It’s their legal right to be rewarded for their hard work and due diligence.

Last edited:
It would be fun to see Tethrd get a cease and desist letter from some of the earlier patent filers.

Guess I better reply to this one lol. When I came out with the Transformer Ernie called to congratulate me and order one for his museum. He then told me that they filed a patent a couple years ago on a similar design that they decided not to pursue. I asked him what that meant for me and the Transformer and he told me not to worry about it at all and to keep making it. He said that if the patent went through someday they would reach out to me and work out a licensing deal with me, meaning I would pay a very small fee to them for every saddle I build. I never felt bullied or threatened at all. I was really appreciative of how nice they were about the whole thing and left that conversation without a care in the world about the patent. We even joked about how similar our idea was. I don’t know if they will get the patent or not, but if they do I’m sure they will work with me to keep producing the Transformer because they’re good guys that have always been straight forward and honest with me, so I trust them at their word and just keep moving forward. If they are awarded a patent I don’t mind to pay a licensing fee to use the design since they thought of it before I did and put up the money to patent it. It’s their legal right to be rewarded for their hard work and due diligence.
Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear people can still just have a discussion and work things out.

Id say like i said before. Let tethered and whomever else it is work it out. Just like the stand companies need to do the same.
alot of this is bull and without factual and legal stuff is all hearsay and really before the bashings begin. Lets stop the bull.
the the big boys fight it out.

Patents are nuts. Everyone that has seen an old Lone Wolf stand can see that all the features were present many years before the Tethrd company started. You should be able to patent NOVEL ideas, not ideas that existed many years before. A platform with a top and bottom surface and with a front and rear edge. LOL. :mask:

Patents are nuts. Everyone that has seen an old Lone Wolf stand can see that all the features were present many years before the Tethrd company started. You should be able to patent NOVEL ideas, not ideas that existed many years before. A platform with a top and bottom surface and with a front and rear edge. LOL. :mask:

The significant things in the tethrd platform patent look to be the wings and the traction around the outer edge of the platform. But who knows it’s so damn wordy. That’s all I got out of it.

Yes but you can't then re-patent the same idea. It becomes public domain.

I was just providing a timeline, didn't see that shared elsewhere.

For those who have an idea of when stuff came out, maybe it's helpful context.

Interesting to see DIY Sportsman on the Predator patent. Makes sense though since he has an engineering background.

Why are you chasing this? Your options are to purchase what is available on the market, DIY, or not spend your money/spend it elsewhere.

Why are you chasing this? Your options are to purchase what is available on the market, DIY, or not spend your money/spend it elsewhere.

Fodder for the ambulance chasers

And just generally interesting for those who are interested for no other reason than interest.

Pretty sure OP states his purpose.

Fodder for the ambulance chasers

And just generally interesting for those who are interested for no other reason than interest.

Pretty sure OP states his purpose.
Not chasing anything. I am an engineer and was just curious what the patent actually said. Nothing more to it than that.

Not chasing anything. I am an engineer and was just curious what the patent actually said. Nothing more to it than that.

Lol, if you go back and read your own post you'll discover your purpose for posting. That's all I was saying to the individual questioning your intent.

And, the information is fodder for ambulance chasers and just generally interesting for those who are interested for no other reason than interest. I fall in that camp, lol.

Back