• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

PayPal Sellers....The Tax Man cometh.....

bowhuntr09

SH Member
Just be aware that if you sell items and accept Paypal G&S for payment, you may be receiving a 1099 from Paypal. I'm not sure if its nationwide or state specific, but I'm in VA and received a 1099 from PP for the proceeds I received from selling items this year.

I’m no accountant. So I have to pay taxes on selling used gear if I get a 1099 from them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m no accountant. So I have to pay taxes on selling used gear if I get a 1099 from them?

I'm not an accountant either. I take whatever 1099 I get and turn it in with all the other tax papers to the accountant. Let her tell me if it needs to be included or not takes the guess work away from me. In the long run, it's much less head ache to report a 255$ (or what ever much) than having to explain anything later on. I'll let y'all know what she said after I had the conversation.

from what i can tell, you are only required to report it if you do over 20k and 200+ sales through the year, but im not an accountant. it seems to be more targeted towards people who conduct business on PP

edit: from the Intuit website
"People sending money back and forth for their share of dinner don't have to worry about reporting such payments on their tax returns. However, the moment you begin accepting business payments on a P2P platform, you're responsible for reporting those earnings. "

Last edited:

Technically you are required to pay taxes on yard/garage sales as well, but fat chance I’m doing that.

I'm no accountant either, usually use an online program to do my taxes. My PP transactions were just under $1200 for the year. Hopefully I can offset the "income" with the acquisition costs of the items i sold.

I'm no accountant either, usually use an online program to do my taxes. My PP transactions were just under $1200 for the year. Hopefully I can offset the "income" with the acquisition costs of the items i sold.

If breaking even results in no tax then that’s where my
math is headed.

Only if their is gain involved. No need or requirement to report items used for personal use and then sold for a loss, or break even...like a yardsale....

Only if their is gain involved. No need or requirement to report items used for personal use and then sold for a loss, or break even...like a yardsale....

with a 1099 reported, what do you have to show to offset it?

with a 1099 reported, what do you have to show to offset it?
according to my accountant, nothing. They are required by law to send you one. You are not required by law to report it if it was not originally purchased for resale to sell for profit...so essentially, you can ignore it...
Disclaimer, im not an accountant. But this is what my accountant told me.

Back