• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pennsylvania Folks: am I missing a license?

pesqimon

I’m heading to PA next week with some friends that want to hunt with flintlock. I plan to hunt with my bow. I got all the licenses I think I need but a little paragraph in the PA guide got me wondering: do I need a muzzleloader license in order to archery hunt next week?

I have an “archery privilege” tag and an “antlered or flintlock” tag.

I think you need a flintlock or muzzleloader stamp. Not 100% sure, I've been mostly Maryland for the past few years.

But it is a lot cheaper than the fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

It’s muzzleloader and late season archery. I do think you are legal to have an archery stamp if using a bow but a call to the game commission would be your best bet for the right answer

You only need an archery tag, there is no muzzleloader tag for late season as it is flintlock only and included with your general hunting license. If you plan on hunting doe you'll need a doe tag for whatever unit you're hunting....if there are even any available.

NR license and the archery tag and you can shoot bucks if they meet the antler restrictions for the WMU you are hunting. If you want to shoot does then you will also need to buy an antlerless tag. I believe a few WMUs still have tags available. 2B should have them. Not sure about other units. A doe tag costs a little over $6.

Can you still use a buck tag on a doe in the late season? I know you used to be able to use it in any wma on a legal buck or doe after Christmas

Can you still use a buck tag on a doe in the late season? I know you used to be able to use it in any wma on a legal buck or doe after Christmas
You can only use you buck tag for an antlerless deer only if you are flintlock hunting. This does require a muzzle loader license. However if you are archery hunting you do not need the muzzle loader tag to hunt the late season. You will need a WMU specific antlerless tag to take a doe with your bow

You can only use you buck tag for an antlerless deer only if you are flintlock hunting. This does require a muzzle loader license. However if you are archery hunting you do not need the muzzle loader tag to hunt the late season. You will need a WMU specific antlerless tag to take a doe with your bow
As well as an archery stamp.

You only need an archery tag, there is no muzzleloader tag for late season as it is flintlock only and included with your general hunting license. If you plan on hunting doe you'll need a doe tag for whatever unit you're hunting....if there are even any available.

That's not right, you need the muzzeloader stamp in flintlock season to hunt with a flintlock. If OP is just hunting with a bow he needs an archery stamp but not a muzzeloader stamp, but can't tag a doe with his buck tag. That is reserved for flintlocks.

That's not right, you need the muzzeloader stamp in flintlock season to hunt with a flintlock. If OP is just hunting with a bow he needs an archery stamp but not a muzzeloader stamp, but can't tag a doe with his buck tag. That is reserved for flintlocks.
Oops, yeah you're right.

I’m heading to PA next week with some friends that want to hunt with flintlock. I plan to hunt with my bow. I got all the licenses I think I need but a little paragraph in the PA guide got me wondering: do I need a muzzleloader license in order to archery hunt next week?

I have an “archery privilege” tag and an “antlered or flintlock” tag.
No you don't need a muzzleloader stamp to bowhunt but you need an archery stamp.

Buck only with a bow unless you have a antlerless tag for the unit your hunting in then you can shoot a doe with the antlerless tag.

Coming to Pennsylvania to hunt late season, buck only, with a bow...

... After the great deer cull of 2021 rifle season? May the force be with you... :p :D

Just curious...where in PA are you headed?

I wasn't trying to kill your enthusiasm, just making a joke...Well, sort of. :tearsofjoy:

I hunted public land on the first day of gun season this year and counted 115 shots...And I wasn't counting the way-far-off echoes either.

In certain areas, it was a legit massacre this year...

Screenshot_20211230-215605.png

Back