• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

People are nuts

dlist777

Over/Under on major injuries/deaths this season?
df25596e12c34cf59b1cdab8e570298c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There was another guy who posted about a saddle his girlfriend made out of paracord. I think that got taken down.

I was trying to convince him to wear an RC harness underneath.

He said there was no need...paracord was good enough for parachutes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Huh??? I thought this is what people are doing. I have read a hundred posts about people with their wooden platforms. I made one myself but did not like it. Maybe I can use it for a cutting board. :)

Well, from my recollection we had one person nearly fall because of what seemed to be an improperly tied prussik or using the wrong material. There was also someone who did actually fall from a decent height, but got out with I believe just a broken ankle. However, I may be conflating the two.

I'd say a fatality is going to happen sooner or later. It may already have for all we know as I doubt next of kin is going to post about it here. Realistically, unless there is a lawsuit or news article, we probably won't hear about it.

What do you all think contributes to this kind of thing? I'm just trying to think what we could do to encourage people to take fewer unnecessary risks.

Should we have a thread about accidents and equipment failures titled "It CAN happen to you:?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well, from my recollection we had one person nearly fall because of what seemed to be an improperly tied prussik or using the wrong material. There was also someone who did actually fall from a decent height, but got out with I believe just a broken ankle. However, I may be conflating the two.

I'd say a fatality is going to happen sooner or later. It may already have for all we know as I doubt next of kin is going to post about it here. Realistically, unless there is a lawsuit or news article, we probably won't hear about it.

What do you all think contributes to this kind of thing? I'm just trying to think what we could do to encourage people to take fewer unnecessary risks.

Should we have a thread about accidents and equipment failures titled "It CAN happen to you:?

It's hard. Many of us are using gear for purposes other than designed. Many use some pretty aggressive climbing methods. Where do you draw the line? I guess it's for everyone to decide for themselves. The wood platform wedged into a wild edge step seems way over the line to most.

The truth is the guy who has the paracord saddle and refuses to wear an RC harness will probably be fine. In fact, when nothing bad happens he'll think I'm the idiot and he's smart and he saved $40 on a cheap rc harness.

I guess there are people who close their mind to facts and advice. You cant help them. There are others who just don't know and seek opinions and advice. For them, this forum can be invaluable.

The answer to that question is easy...ignorance, plain and simple. You can add laziness because the two complement each other nicely. We have a saying at work similar to the old adage "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it" but we dumbed it down for the mentally challenged to understand "you can't fix stupid" and as harsh as it seems it is unfortunately true. In this day and age of virtually unlimited resources to conduct research and have your answers in minutes there is absolutely not one valid explanation why people do the stupid things they do other than ignorance and laziness. These traits are a genetic deficiency and nature has it's way of taking care of it via natural selection.

The best we can do is offer our advice to those that seek us out and continue as a group to further our knowledge and share new information so we all can enjoy our common pastime safely.

First of all - plenty of people here have used or tried the 3/4 in ply in a primal step platform. If you're tied in and keep out slack that's fine. The bigger issue is people using inadequate cordage and tying inadequate knots. I searched through the facebook groups for falls plus may remember a couple of others

From searching
A guy tied off his webbing bridge with an overhand knot and fell over the summer. Got concussed.
A guy screwed up hooking up his stock old trophyline tether a couple of weeks ago, took off his lineman and fell breaking his ankle.
A guy fell last year From 8 ft while climbing. fell on a stepp. impaled himself. Broke his pelvis. Almost hit his spine.
Lots of slips and close calls climbing - imo you should assume your climbing method will fail and consider what happens when it does. My grandfather fell out of literally the easiest treestand to climb we ever made - with nothing breaking. Just slipped.

The issue is gonna be ropes, knots, diy saddles with no backup, guys missing that important detail on youtube, slack in a tether, or trying something mentioned in passing on facebook (rather than linked to a detailed discussion here). Or climbing without a safe backup plan to deal with fails or slips.

Most of us have probably tried stupid things, and were lucky enough to learn from them. With facebook and youtube you get people copying other people's stupid ideas, and not circling back to them. Or people copying other people's good ideas, but missing the critical piece (@Nutterbuster 's tubular webbing with water knots, long tails, and a barrel backup, checked every use? Good. "Hey that webbing looks good and this overhand knot that I didn't set preperly and left with no tail looks close enough" bad.)

And then people start cluttering up their workflow, adding unsafe backup to unsafe main systems and just giving themselves more to confuse...

With facebook and youtube you get people copying other people's stupid ideas, and not circling back to them.
@mattsteg hit the nail here.

Proliferation of stupidity (of any kind) has made VAST leaps with the advent of social media. Used to be that one buddy would show another buddy some trick, shortcut, or workaround that he "invented". A conversation would ensue, and they could talk about implementation specifics. Now that same guy has the power to fire his idea off to hundreds of thousands without a real relational attachment to those giving feedback. Those who offer advise like "go get training from a professional" are chalked up to internal responses like "you're just some inexperienced naysayer on the internet trying to critically judge me".

With all the injuries/fatalities while using tree stands, it is safe to assume there will be injuries/fatalities in saddlehunting as well. In both cases, the primary reasons for injury is misuse or negligence. Rarely is it an issue with the actual device (so long as it is kept in good condition)
Saddle hunting moving from hardcore diy guys to the masses is ripe for an incident.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

In both cases, the primary reasons for injury is misuse or negligence. Rarely is it an issue with the actual device (so long as it is kept in good condition)
Saddle hunting moving from hardcore diy guys to the masses is ripe for an incident.
Certainly makes me reluctant to post photos or mention some gear that I use on e.g. the facebook groups (where the discussion is almost always people listing what they use and saying it's an awesome game changer). Whether an item looks like another item that's unsafe (e.g. plume twin gate looks like a wiregate biner), requires extra careful setting and regular inspection (water knots!), or requires a careful touch and solid backup (carbon bolts) - too many people won't look beyond "it's an awesome gamechanger bro!"

I certainly understand your disclaimer.

Certainly makes me reluctant to post photos or mention some gear that I use on e.g. the facebook groups (where the discussion is almost always people listing what they use and saying it's an awesome game changer). Whether an item looks like another item that's unsafe (e.g. plume twin gate looks like a wiregate biner), requires extra careful setting and regular inspection (water knots!), or requires a careful touch and solid backup (carbon bolts) - too many people won't look beyond "it's an awesome gamechanger bro!"

I certainly understand your disclaimer.

I have noticed myself self-censoring on more than one occasion.

Back