• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Permethin dilution

Loopwing

SH Member
So this year instead of buying Sawyer's, I bought some concentrate from Tractor supply. I have a gallon pump sprayer. What are you guys using for a ratio for a gallon of water for your gear? I saw Sawyer's was . 05% but I think that works out to 6.4oz. that seems like a lot, but I could wrong. Thanks in advance guys/ladies.

So this year instead of buying Sawyer's, I bought some concentrate from Tractor supply. I have a gallon pump sprayer. What are you guys using for a ratio for a gallon of water for your gear? I saw Sawyer's was . 05% but I think that works out to 6.4oz. that seems like a lot, but I could wrong. Thanks in advance guys/ladies.
From the research I did you want .5% permethrin. And it suggested mixing 19oz of water with 1 oz of permethrin. What kind of permethrin did you get? The stuff I bought has a really strong smell I think I'm gonna try a different brand. Apparently some have an oil additive that makes them smell.

Sent from my SM-G889A using Tapatalk

From the research I did you want .5% permethrin. And it suggested mixing 19oz of water with 1 oz of permethrin. What kind of permethrin did you get? The stuff I bought has a really strong smell I think I'm gonna try a different brand. Apparently some have an oil additive that makes them smell.

Sent from my SM-G889A using Tapatalk
I mix 1 oz of 10% permethrin to 19 oz of water as well. If my math is right (a big if so double check if you go this route), that would give me 0.5%.

I use Martin's brand and it has a slight smell after it dries, but not bad and after I wash it once not much at all. The stuff with petroleum distillates stinks terribly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Did it still stink after it dried? Thanks for the ratio.
Yeah, the concentrated stuff that I get from Tractor Supply does stink after it dries. I consider that stuff "utility" permethrin. I only use it on non-hunting clothes. If I do need to treat deer hunting clothes, I'll use Sawyers. But better yet, send some clothing to the Insect Shield company and they will give it the "permanent" treatment that is odorless. They charge by the pound to treat your clothing.

I mix 1 oz of 10% permethrin to 19 oz of water as well. If my math is right (a big if so double check if you go this route), that would give me 0.5%.

I use Martin's brand and it has a slight smell after it dries, but not bad and after I wash it once not much at all. The stuff with petroleum distillates stinks terribly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I do the exact same. Smell isn’t that bad.

instructions...under label

ANSbkZn.jpg

Yeah, the concentrated stuff that I get from Tractor Supply does stink after it dries. I consider that stuff "utility" permethrin. I only use it on non-hunting clothes. If I do need to treat deer hunting clothes, I'll use Sawyers. But better yet, send some clothing to the Insect Shield company and they will give it the "permanent" treatment that is odorless. They charge by the pound to treat your clothing.
Thinking about sending my ScentLok early season coverall to Insect Shield. Do you all think it will alter the carbons ability to absord scent?
And does it really last more than 6 weeks?

Thinking about sending my ScentLok early season coverall to Insect Shield. Do you all think it will alter the carbons ability to absord scent?
And does it really last more than 6 weeks?
I have factory Insect Shield clothes and it definitely lasts much longer than 6 weeks...supposed to last 70 washings.
I do wonder how you know when you've reached ~70?? It would be great if there were some sort of sewn in tag that would change colors when the treatment got weak.
I have no idea if the treatment effects carbon clothes. For all I know maybe it somehow reactivates it??

Last edited:
I use the 10% concentrate. I agree with the math the others have provided - 19 oz. of water to 1 oz. of concentrate. That said, I use 18:2. I have a for of the alpha gal allergy. If I get a tick bite, it could be a year before I am able to have red meat again assuming my reaction isn't more severe than the last 2 times I've been bitten.

I use the 10% concentrate. I agree with the math the others have provided - 19 oz. of water to 1 oz. of concentrate. That said, I use 18:2. I have a for of the alpha gal allergy. If I get a tick bite, it could be a year before I am able to have red meat again assuming my reaction isn't more severe than the last 2 times I've been bitten.
Yep. Had the allergy when I was younger and have stuck to the mantra of “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” ever since. My clothes get a heavy dose of permethrin, and it works great for me. Recently discovered I’d guess around 500 super small seed ticks on my pants leg while checking trail cams, and between frantically brushing them off my pants and the permethrin, not a single one actually got to my skin. The stuff is a lifesaver!

I hate being a sawyers slave but everytime I run out I'll forget I ran out and then I'll need it right now and I break down and pay for the convenience of premix....glad I read this this morning...I go get some some concentrate and a sprayer today. I use permethrin year round so it's stupid of me not to use the concentrate

For my non hunting clothes I use the premix with Citronella from tractor supply. Comes in a white spray bottle. I also use this for turkey season. Heck I have even used it for deer season a few times. Deer don’t seem to react to the citronella.

Mostly for hunting clothes
I mix up 4 gallons at a time and wearing gloves I soak my clothes, wring them out and hang dry. I have watched ticks crawl across my legs and curl up and die

For my non hunting clothes I use the premix with Citronella from tractor supply. Comes in a white spray bottle. I also use this for turkey season. Heck I have even used it for deer season a few times. Deer don’t seem to react to the citronella.

Mostly for hunting clothes
I mix up 4 gallons at a time and wearing gloves I soak my clothes, wring them out and hang dry. I have watched ticks crawl across my legs and curl up and die
I always thought about getting one of those mop wringers that hang on a bucket for wringing out clothes after a soak. It would squeeze the excess solution back in the bucket. Dip the item, squeeze it out and hang it up.
Or maybe an old clothing wringer. The roller style that our grandmothers used in the laundry.
A wringer would reduce waste and reduce how much we have to handle the soggy, dripping clothes when we do a soak.

I always thought about getting one of those mop wringers that hang on a bucket for wringing out clothes after a soak. It would squeeze the excess solution back in the bucket. Dip the item, squeeze it out and hang it up.
Or maybe an old clothing wringer. The roller style that our grandmothers used in the laundry.
A wringer would reduce waste and reduce how much we have to handle the soggy, dripping clothes when we do a soak.

Never thought about it but it sure would work. I just twist them up and wring the water out best I can. But heck a mop bucket would work great for this process. Mix it up pour it in the mop bucket, dip clothes, wring clothes. Repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never thought about it but it sure would work. I just twist them up and wring the water out best I can. But heck a mop bucket would work great for this process. Mix it up pour it in the mop bucket, dip clothes, wring clothes. Repeat.

And any solution that's left when you're done can be used to treat your house, out buildings or yard. I spray concentrate on and around my foundation a couple times per year.really helps keep the pests out of the house.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

And any solution that's left when you're done can be used to treat your house, out buildings or yard. I spray concentrate on and around my foundation a couple times per year.really helps keep the pests out of the house.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I just put the lid on the bucket and re treat my clothes until winter! Lol. What a waste! I could be saving that ORKIN money for a elk hunt in Colorado!

Back