• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Permethrin on your saddle?

DelaWhere_Arrow

SH Member
I looked for a similar thread, but I only found the generic permethrin threads with very few saddle-specific thoughts on Permethrin.
I’m sure 99% of us bathe in it and drown our clothes and backpacks in it, but does it have any ill effects on the saddle material itself? Is it even necessary when the aforementioned precautions are already taken? I’m not sure I really want to spray my Kestrel down if it’s going to deteriorate the fabric or webbing, and I never really used it on my treestand harnesses, but I’m not into those devilish ticks and chiggers.
Okay, sound off!

Last edited:
Everything I use for hunting gets permethrin. Everything.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

They use it on camping equipment like sleeping bags and such. Also, I have never noticed any degradation on my hunting clothes fabric which is made of a combo of gortex, cotton, polyester,nylon, etc. for years.

I looked for a similar thread, but I only found the generic permethrin threads with very few saddle-specific thoughts on Permethrin.
I’m sure 99% of us bathe in it and drown our clothes and backpacks in it, but does it have any ill effects on the saddle material itself? Is it even necessary when the aforementioned precautions are already taken? I’m not sure I really want to spray my Kestrel down if it’s going to deteriorate the fabric or webbing, and I never really used it on my treestand harnesses, but I’m not into those devilish ticks and chiggers.
Okay, sound off!
Just make sure you're not using a petroleum based permethrin and it shouldn't effect anything negatively

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

All good input, fellas. I think I will give the outer caboose a little anti-Lyme love. Thanks to all! First day in the real saddle is also the first hunting day under 75 degrees...feeling good!

It’s safe for fabrics and the material in your saddle isn’t much different than most clothing (synthetic fabrics). As said, not sure you need to spray it necessarily if you spray your clothes but it won’t hurt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mix one ounce of the concentrate from tractor supply in a 32 ounce spray bottle and then I add a cap full of muscadine oil used for candle making. When it gets about half empty I just refill with water again for a second run since the first is a little strong anyway. You can get the oil in many different scents including fresh earth from eBay or amazon. Makes everything smell good. I just spray down several outfits let them dry and put them in the storage container. No mosquitos or ticks ever. Don’t even need a thermacell and I live in the south. I spray it on everything including pack and saddle. I just don’t like to put it on my shirt while wearing it because if you sweat it can make you feel a little funny. Once dried it’s no problem. You can put on boots and pants bottoms just before you go out but I wouldn’t put it on my shirt and use without letting it dry.

I mix one ounce of the concentrate from tractor supply in a 32 ounce spray bottle and then I add a cap full of muscadine oil used for candle making. When it gets about half empty I just refill with water again for a second run since the first is a little strong anyway. You can get the oil in many different scents including fresh earth from eBay or amazon. Makes everything smell good. I just spray down several outfits let them dry and put them in the storage container. No mosquitos or ticks ever. Don’t even need a thermacell and I live in the south. I spray it on everything including pack and saddle. I just don’t like to put it on my shirt while wearing it because if you sweat it can make you feel a little funny. Once dried it’s no problem. You can put on boots and pants bottoms just before you go out but I wouldn’t put it on my shirt and use without letting it dry.

I went to long sleeve base layers to get rid of the skeeters. They can’t stand the permethrin. They will try for about a minute to find a spot they can land without touching it, once they realize they can’t... they move on.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

I spray my clothes and that’s good enough. But I don’t think it would hurt a saddle one bit. The petroleum based spray is an interesting point... however I still don’t think it would degrade the material. It may be petroleum based, but it’s not a strong solvent like B12 chemtool or something along those lines, it is only a surfactant to make it stick to livestock fur or clothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I spray my clothes and that’s good enough. But I don’t think it would hurt a saddle one bit. The petroleum based spray is an interesting point... however I still don’t think it would degrade the material. It may be petroleum based, but it’s not a strong solvent like B12 chemtool or something along those lines, it is only a surfactant to make it stick to livestock fur or clothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It also has to do with your skin and the smell

I do not spray mine directly, but I have an old Tinks scent storage bag that I spray the heck out of on the inside....everything that I hunt with goes inside bag, Pack, hat, saddle.....it kills anything inside that bag overnight. and I dont have to worry about chemicals on my hunting gear.

I do not spray mine directly, but I have an old Tinks scent storage bag that I spray the heck out of on the inside....everything that I hunt with goes inside bag, Pack, hat, saddle.....it kills anything inside that bag overnight. and I dont have to worry about chemicals on my hunting gear.
That's good. Permethrin brakes down on contact with the skin anyways. That's why the treatment is always in the fabric as opposed to sprays like DEET (which is ineffective against ticks. Everything I've read on permethrin says to avoid the petroleum based mixture when using it with clothing. But if it works for you without any ill-effects that's good as the the petroleum based mixture lasts longer. One treatment should last you the whole hunting season, especially if you dont wash your gear every time. Even if you do it lasts a bunch of washes.

I spray down everything I take into the woods. Saddle, ropes, steps, clothing, packs. Anything a tick or insect could cling onto. I have yet to see any negative side effects like gear deteriorating from the spray.

I spray down everything I take into the woods. Saddle, ropes, steps, clothing, packs. Anything a tick or insect could cling onto. I have yet to see any negative side effects like gear deteriorating from the spray.
I even sponge my dogs coat with a very watered down solution. I was out Morel hunting a few yrs back and I'm not kidding when I say I pick 150 ticks off them (combined) within 30 mins. The regular treatment will kill them once latched on but doesn't keep them off. After I sponged them with the permethrin solution I had no issues with them even getti.g on their coats. The stuff works.

I have never used permethrin, but just got some in..

How do you guys typically apply it? Let it sit out?

I have never used permethrin, but just got some in..

How do you guys typically apply it? Let it sit out?
Did you buy the pre-mixed or the stuff from Tractor Supply? I did the the TS stuff, cut it with water in a gallon jug, poured the solution in a 5 gallon bucket and dunked my clothes (completely saturate) then air dried. Once its dried its locked into the fibers and good for quite a few washes.

Don’t buy the premix stuff. You’re basically buying 95% water at that point. This stuff is meant to be sprayed on livestock to keep the bugs off. I see no issues spraying down a dog with it. If I remember correctly it will last up to 4 weeks before needing to be reapplied.

Don’t buy the premix stuff. You’re basically buying 95% water at that point. This stuff is meant to be sprayed on livestock to keep the bugs off. I see no issues spraying down a dog with it. If I remember correctly it will last up to 4 weeks before needing to be reapplied.
That's about what I got from it. The premixed stuff is already at the .05%. You need to cut the TS supply (I believe its 10%) to the .05% so you get way more bang for your buck with the TS bottle.

As for my pups, I didnt spray them, i cut it to
.005 and used a sponge so as not to get it in their eyes and mouth. Even at .005 it worked wonders.

Back