• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Permethrin

ricky racer

Reading some earlier posts on ticks and the use of Permethrin on your clothing, I did a little checking to see if it is recommended for that use. I can't find anywhere that lists personal use one's self or your clothing. I'd like to verify that it is safe before I give it a try on myself or my family. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Yep. If your comfortable, cut it yourself. This applies to a lot of stuff in the farm department.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I bough the TSC brand and cut my own. Applied it with a 1/2 gallon pump sprayer. I hosed down everything I wear to hunt with 2 1/2 gallons and was able to spray liberally and coat well.

Martins is probably the one I use the most. After I wash my early season clothes I mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket, dip my clothes in the bucket, wring out the clothing best I can and hang it out to dry. I haven’t had a bug on me in a very long time when wearing the clothes. At least 10 years. I have wore non treated clothes and got covered with chiggers but that was my fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s for use on your clothes not your skin. So it’s obviously not good for you but it’s accepted as safe to use on your clothes. As someone who has had lymes disease I highly recommend using it. There are a ton of ticks where I live and you still gotta be careful but it seems to work really well and keep most of them off you.

It’s for use on your clothes not your skin. So it’s obviously not good for you but it’s accepted as safe to use on your clothes. As someone who has had lymes disease I highly recommend using it. There are a ton of ticks where I live and you still gotta be careful but it seems to work really well and keep most of them off you.

The reason it is safe after dried, but not safe for contact while wet is the permethrin has actually physically bound to the clothing when dried properly. The permethrin itself is unable to cross the skin membrane, but some of the solvents used to suspend it and ease application (in certain uses) are able to be absorbed by your skin, and the permethrin gets dragged along for the ride.

Be careful while applying, and obviously don’t drink the stuff. But once it is completely dried, have NO fear of skin contact.

Reading some earlier posts on ticks and the use of Permethrin on your clothing, I did a little checking to see if it is recommended for that use. I can't find anywhere that lists personal use one's self or your clothing. I'd like to verify that it is safe before I give it a try on myself or my family. Can someone point me in the right direction?

The packaging on the bottle in my link states how it should be used. My uses are not listed. That being said, after some research, I mix my own using the Permethrin in the link below. I do not put it on my body, I am not sure that is safe. The smell of it alone before it dries could make you sick. I spray my clothes, boots, hat, gloves and socks thoroughly, never underwear or face masks, but I do use it on base layers. I let things dry a day or more, then store airtight or use. It lasts several washes, or 6 weeks I think I read. It works extremely well. The only time I did not use treated clothes this year I found 5 ticks on my legs and hands. I have had zero ticks, and a large reduction in any insect issues when wearing treated garments.

I spray anything -trash cans, backpacks, tents, sleeping bags, outdoor blankets, camp chairs- and it seems to reduce most other insect presence as well, besides just ticks. I've tried soaking everything but my boots, but it is more of a hassle, and requires gloves. I got the idea when I bought a shirt that claimed its Permethrin soak would last through 50 washes.

At home, I have a potbelly pig and a dog who like to lay on chair cushions in the backyard. I spray both the cushions, and their bedding that goes inside the house and they haven't had a single tick since I have started treating their stuff. The pig doesn't seem to care whether she lays on treated or untreated bedding when she has a choice, I have tested it a few times with her.

https://www.amazon.com/36-8-Permethrin-Pest-Control-Insecticide/dp/B003IMO3I2

The Sawyers has .05% Permethrin as its active ingredient. I'm looking at a product by Hi Yeild and it has 10% as its active ingredient.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/hiyield-indooroutdoor-10-permethrin-insecticide-p-1551.html
Thoughts?
I bought a gallon of permethrin concentrate from Do My Own... not sure if what I got is what you are looking at.
There was a thread on another forum a few years ago and a poster seemed to really know a lot about the stuff. According to him, there is water based and oil based permethrin. I think the gallon I bought must be oil based and has an odor that doesn't go away, but a different concentrate that I got from Tractor Supply must be water based. After it dries, it becomes odorless.

Any concentrate can be mixed to the strength you need for a particular application. Oil based stuff never completely dries so its better for structure/building applications. Water based stuff is better for clothing and livestock but it doesn't last as long.

I also use it on my luggage...
I am a flight attendant and it’s always said there are only two types of flight attendants....
Those that have gotten bed bugs, and those that will.

I spray my crew luggage inside and out every couple of months and let it dry. That way, if I ever do come across bed bugs, they die inside the bag with no chance of escape :)

I am a flight attendant and it’s always said there are only two types of flight attendants....

I spray my crew luggage inside and out every couple of months and let it dry. That way, if I ever do come across bed bugs, they die inside the bag with no chance of escape :)

I never even gave second thought to the idea of picking up Critters when I fly via luggage. Now I'm going to have to start treating my crap before I fly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I like that idea. We always keep all our bags zipped closed and off the floor in motels. Never thought to use permethrin on luggage.

I've treated dead deer with it. I've had deer loaded with ticks or other nasties that I didn't want to transport home.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Brilliant idea on the luggage. No idea why I never thought about that?!

I send a lot of my outdoors clothes off to Insect Shield where they factory treat with permethrin. You get something like 70 washes out of their treatment vs something like 7 when treat yourself. I do spray my pack, hammock, and few other items I carry for backpacking.

Thanks, that's a great idea. I often travel for work and always dread the thought of bringing home a suitcase full of critters with me.

Another permethrin fan here!

I treat our pants, socks, sleeping bags, hammocks, bug nets, shemaghs, and anything else I can think of with it. Works perfectly all season long. I've even treated carpets with it (keep the animals out of the room until it dries). The smell goes away in a day or two.

I bought one bottle of 30% off Amazon three years ago and I'm still using it. Heck of a lot cheaper than buying the pre-diluted Sawyer stuff.

I have been using Permethrin in 10% concentration for a few years now. I will not go out into the woods with out using it. If I remember correctly, after it is applied and dried, it will last about 6 weeks or 6 washings. I mix 1 oz to 1 gallon in a pump sprayer. Once my clothes are washed and dried, I lay everything out in the yard to be sprayed thoroughly. Once one side is wetted down well, I turn every item over and repeat. Only when they are completely dry, do I put them on my body.
I apply to all my turkey apparel in the spring and it lasts the whole season. Pre-season scouting and prep work for deer season definitely gets treated as well. I made the mistake of waiting too long or putting on the wrong clothes for an outing once....ONCE. To say the least, it was a little unnerving seeing that many ticks and chiggers on me all at once!

I am a fan of premetherin too but have never mixed my own. I think I will head to tractor supply. The Sawyer spray i have been using gets expensive. Thanks for the idea.

If you do get some, get the Martin brand. It doesn't have the petroleum smell like others

Back