• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thread Closed: Perzel Grigri: Thread Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newhunter1

SH Member
Well I bought this for my son to use with the Sampson 5/16 ultra tech rope. The grigri range is 8.9-11 mm rope. The 5/16 rope(7.95mm) slides right through it when not loaded.
9636ae504116f383ae05579bd0822990.jpg

For sale TYD 80.00. This is new and I do not have the packaging. F/f or 3.5% for fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I bought this for my son to use with the Sampson 5/16 ultra tech rope. The grigri range is 8.9-11 mm rope. The 5/16 rope(7.95mm) slides right through it when not loaded.
9636ae504116f383ae05579bd0822990.jpg

For sale TYD 80.00. This is new and I do not have the packaging. F/f or 3.5% for fees.

It's supposed to slide right through when not loaded. Using it on rope outside the manufacturers range is up to the individual.

Well that’s why I’m selling it. I just went ahead and got the Grigri+. It has the mode for top top as is supposed to make it better for a smaller diameter rope. We shall see.

Well that’s why I’m selling it. I just went ahead and got the Grigri+. It has the mode for top top as is supposed to make it better for a smaller diameter rope. We shall see.

Top rope mode and rope size are not factors for how the device actuates. Those two specifics are not connected. Top Rope Mode reduces the spring tension on the cam, causing the belay device to brake with less effort. If you’re “leading the belay” you would want tension on the cam to keep it from braking as rope is fed trough by the belayer and pulled through by the climber. This is “Lead Mode”. In top rope mode there is less tension, which will brake the rope with the very slightest amount of tension. This is preferable if the climber has control of the device or if the device is above the climber, and in the case of the saddle hunter.

This thread leads me to believe there is a potential for the device to be rigged incorrectly. To make sure it’s being rigged correctly, I’ll do my best to explain: the portion of the rope that attaches to the tree (working end) should be fed through the Grigri closest to where the caribiner connects to the device, and should come out where the cam pivots to and against the rope. This portion of rope is the “tag end”.

There are two significant differences between the Grigri and Grigri+. The + accommodates a wider range of rope diameters, AND has a panic feature. The panic feature works when the brake release lever is pulled too hard and fast. It prevents a fall from occurring if the climber “panics” and pulls the gate wide open. It’s a very well made feature. When activated, to start your descent again just release the lever and then pull back again slowly and the descent will happen. It’s a great device. Petzl makes top quality gear.

Hopefully this was helpful. As I understand this is gear for your child. As parents, we never compromise our kids’ safety, so please don’t hesitate to seek advice or verification on how to most safely use this gear. There are some super smart and experienced people on this forum who will gladly share their experiences with you. This place has been invaluable for me, in learning about saddle hunting and how best to use some gear.

Semper Fi,
Mike

To make sure it’s being rigged correctly, I’ll do my best to explain: the portion of the rope that attaches to the tree (working end) should be fed through the Grigri closest to where the caribiner connects to the device, and should come out where the cam pivots to and against the rope. This portion of rope is the “tag end”.

Semper Fi,
Mike
I believe this is not stated correctly. Isn't the tag end the free end of the rope, the one NOT attached to the tree?

I believe this is not stated correctly. Isn't the tag end the free end of the rope, the one NOT attached to the tree?

That’s correct. The working end is attached to the tree (as stated), and tag end is the portion of the rope that comes out of the Grigri and does not bear the load of the climber.

My explanations, while they make sense to me, usually create confusion it’s my special talent.

Thanks for keeping me honest.

Semper Fi,
Mike

That’s correct. The working end is attached to the tree (as stated), and tag end is the portion of the rope that comes out of the Grigri and does not bear the load of the climber.

My explanations, while they make sense to me, usually create confusion it’s my special talent.

Thanks for keeping me honest.

Semper Fi,
Mike
I do the same. Language is difficult.

Thread closed...link to new thread and grigri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back