• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pest control & Fun Practice

DroptineKrazy

SH Member
Check this out. 27 yard shot from the corner of the house. Little b#stard was eating my deer clover on the back lawn Notice the penetration I got with my heavy arrows haha!
14de0052a8d4726738284e786b0e9536.jpg

5498f54880aa53b9f0ff577cad608e36.jpg

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First critter I ever killed with a bow was a ground hog. Neck shot. Never twitched. In fact, he died with the piece of clover he was munching on still in his mouth.

Nice! I sort of wish we had those around here. I'm sure that would change if we actually got them, lol. I do have an armadillo making nightly raids on my yard but so far, he has eluded me. I would not sully an arrow on an armadillo, though, nasty little critters.

Check this out. 27 yard shot from the corner of the house. Little b#stard was eating my deer clover on the back lawn Notice the penetration I got with my heavy arrows haha!
14de0052a8d4726738284e786b0e9536.jpg

5498f54880aa53b9f0ff577cad608e36.jpg

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
use any of the fur?

Nice! I sort of wish we had those around here. I'm sure that would change if we actually got them, lol.
Trust me...you don't want them. They suck.
But if you do have them, then make the best of the targets they provide.
I killed 6 last year with judos from my recurve.
Killed another couple dozen with the .22 and a few with the 5.56. Longest shot was 185 yards from my porch. There has been years that I've shot over 50 without leaving my deck.
Miserable things.

Trust me...you don't want them. They suck.
But if you do have them, then make the best of the targets they provide.
I killed 6 last year with judos from my recurve.
Killed another couple dozen with the .22 and a few with the 5.56. Longest shot was 185 yards from my porch. There has been years that I've shot over 50 without leaving my deck.
Miserable things.
I bet. I have enough trouble with armadillos and moles.

Those are great eating. I absolutely love ground hog. Growing up my brother and I killed every one within walking distance of our house then any we could drive to. With everything from pellet gun to 12ga, bows included. Skin simmer then bake with some cream of mushroom soup with potatoes and carrots. I’d pass up a backstrap meal to have a mess of whistle pig.

Those are great eating. I absolutely love ground hog. Growing up my brother and I killed every one within walking distance of our house then any we could drive to. With everything from pellet gun to 12ga, bows included. Skin simmer then bake with some cream of mushroom soup with potatoes and carrots. I’d pass up a backstrap meal to have a mess of whistle pig.
Ive heard this multiple times now. ive got to just go get me one and try it I guess. we have plenty. you ever deep fry em?

Not sure I would pass up backstrap but I do love me some groundhog cooked in foil over the coals with a little spicy bbq sauce . We used to go all the time when I was younger, they actually make good practice for rifle shooting accuracy, head shots only.

Not sure I would pass up backstrap but I do love me some groundhog cooked in foil over the coals with a little spicy bbq sauce . We used to go all the time when I was younger, they actually make good practice for rifle shooting accuracy, head shots only.
Finally someone who knows good food. lol. They are just a vegetarian like any other rabbit or squirrel only better.

Ive heard this multiple times now. ive got to just go get me one and try it I guess. we have plenty. you ever deep fry em?
I guess one could deep fry them. We either did a roast type meal or breaded and pan fry. We ate hundreds of them and the roast style is the best to me

Any idea where the name whistle pig comes from? I bet they are good eating if cooked right, about the same idea as a squirrel or rabbit. We just don't have them around here.

When they alarm call they whistle. It is a very high pitched short bark. Everyone back home growing up called them that.

Back