• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Picking a used Mathews

HaunSolo

SH Member
All,

Last year I killed my first deer/buck with a bow - a hand me down Mission UX2 from my brother. The bow worked fine for me, but I've built my own set of heavier arrows and I'd like to purchase a used Mathews for myself this year. Based on what I could find, the UX2 is rated for 308 fps, has a 33.125" ata, 7" brace height and weighs around 3.9 lbs.

I'm looking to buy something used for $500 or less bare. Some bows I've seen in this price range are the Switchback, Drenalin, Heli-m, Monster, Reezen, Halon 6, Z3, and Z7 - to name a few.

What kind of things should I consider when looking at these used models? Are there models to avoid and ones I should look for? How important is brace height?

Ultimately I would like something a little faster and not too heavy.

Any help is appreciated.

The Mathews Creed XS is 3.8 lbs bare with around 326FPS. But I'm one of the few that like the GeoGrid design. The Halons series are good bows too. The HeliM is the lightest Mathew modern bow and its has good review. Personally I suggest you get anything that is solo cam, but if you want speed, the Halons and newer are faster.

I love the Heli-M bows. So much so that I just bought a second one off ebay at my draw length and I ordered 50 pound limbs to go on it. It came with 70 pounders, and although I can draw that from the ground, not even going to try that much weight from elevation. The limbs came in yesterday and I plan to take it over soon and get them switched out. My current Heli-m, which I have had for 10 years, or more is 60 to 50 so with this second bow, that will give me 50 to 40.

If you have a local bow shop try to go by and see as many models as you can.

The Mathews Z7 is my favorite bow that was ever produced. I sold it in 2013 and have kicked myself every hunting season since then. I picked up a new old stock Z3 (2018 remade Z7) a few weeks back and it is really nice too. I prefer the single cams but can’t deny the advances that Mathews has made in the past few years. The cam shape has an impact on the aggressiveness of the draw. The rounder perimeter weighted cams are real easy drawing bows. The Creed and the Reezen were about their most aggressive I believe.

All,

Last year I killed my first deer/buck with a bow - a hand me down Mission UX2 from my brother. The bow worked fine for me, but I've built my own set of heavier arrows and I'd like to purchase a used Mathews for myself this year. Based on what I could find, the UX2 is rated for 308 fps, has a 33.125" ata, 7" brace height and weighs around 3.9 lbs.

I'm looking to buy something used for $500 or less bare. Some bows I've seen in this price range are the Switchback, Drenalin, Heli-m, Monster, Reezen, Halon 6, Z3, and Z7 - to name a few.

What kind of things should I consider when looking at these used models? Are there models to avoid and ones I should look for? How important is brace height?

Ultimately I would like something a little faster and not too heavy.

Any help is appreciated.
Been shooting Mathews for Long time had many models. Z7, Drenalin, Halon (shot all of these) are all great options. You may want to look at the NoCam is also another good option and can be found in that price range. Make sure you get the right draw length Changing Draw length and weight requires new cams and can add cost if you can find the proper Cam

Been shooting Mathews for Long time had many models. Z7, Drenalin, Halon (shot all of these) are all great options. You may want to look at the NoCam is also another good option and can be found in that price range. Make sure you get the right draw length Changing Draw length and weight requires new cams and can add cost if you can find the proper Cam
I would love to own a NoCam too, but for the OP wishlist of speed, its a no go at barely 300fps. But I would pick a No Cam after my Creed as a to go bow. I got to tried it at a range once, its the smoothest and quietest bow ever.

What features are most important when it comes to saddle hunting with a bow? Weight? ATA Length? Smooth draw cycle?

I would love to own a NoCam too, but for the OP wishlist of speed, its a no go at barely 300fps. But I would pick a No Cam after my Creed as a to go bow. I got to tried it at a range once, its the smoothest and quietest bow ever.

I thought I read that both the NoCam HTR and HTX were rated at over 320 fps(IBO)?

Is it difficult to find the cams for the older bows? How easy are the mods to get?

Well, he said he wanted something a little faster and not too heavy. That should not be too hard to get with any fairly recent model. Since we don't know the specs on what he was shooting last year, only the model, we really don't know what the definition of faster is at this point. I would not advise chasing speed. A bow that is well balanced in draw weight, proper fit, and decent speed with a good structurally sound hunting arrow will be all anyone needs for hunting.

What features are most important when it comes to saddle hunting with a bow? Weight? ATA Length? Smooth draw cycle?

I thought I read that both the NoCam HTR and HTX were rated at over 320 fps(IBO)?

Is it difficult to find the cams for the older bows? How easy are the mods to get?
If you are seriously looking at a particular bow, call Mathews directly and see about parts and availability. That is what I did when I was thinking about getting a second heli-m and setting it up for lower draw weight. They will tell you about parts and availability, but not cost. They will only sell parts through authorized dealers.

Well, he said he wanted something a little faster and not too heavy. That should not be too hard to get with any fairly recent model. Since we don't know the specs on what he was shooting last year, only the model, we really don't know what the definition of faster is at this point. I would not advise chasing speed. A bow that is well balanced in draw weight, proper fit, and decent speed with a good structurally sound hunting arrow will be all anyone needs for hunting.

I was shooting 60 lbs and 29 inch draw on the UX2, which is rated for 308 fps IBO. My TAW was 381 and I've built new arrows that will range from 480-550 grains depending on the broadhead I select.

That should not be too hard to find in a used bow. IBO, in my opinion, is more of a marketing term than anything. I think they set that with a 250 grain arrow to max out the numbers. It is an OK number to look at comparing apples to apples but the arrow is more important than the bow since it is the only thing that actually contacts the deer. A 480 to 550 grain arrow should do very well.

Hmm... you're right, I stand corrected. The HTX/HTR speed does claim 330ish. but I read a lot of reviews on the bows and no one ever got near that speed. But then most bows don't get their IOB speed anyway.

Ok, I might get some hate for this, but I think ATA is somewhat important. Not saying you need 28 ATA, but anything over 36ATA get a little unsteady unless you practice with it a lot. But tons of guys here and youtubers hunt with long ATA and it fine for them. Trad bow is different because with a cant and how your body is aligned in a saddle, longer bows works fine.

Light weight compactness, and steadiness is what I think are important, I don't even run a stabilizer on my saddle hunting bow.

But again, anything will work as long as you practice and get use to your equipment.

I tried the No-cam (6 months or so) and it was nice, but heavier arrows killed what little bit of speed it had. It’s kinda like DHL deliveries in the way that it will “get there” eventually. Run a 5 pin sight and only manage to get 44 yards out of it. But it is smooth, and will kill.

The reason I suggest calling Mathews directly is that they know what they have, and your dealer may not. I called 2 dealers and they both said that the lowest poundage limbs made for the Heli M are 60 pounds. Mathews said no, and emailed me a list with part numbers down to 40 pounds. Once I sent the list to the dealer, the story changed, lol.

The reason I suggest calling Mathews directly is that they know what they have, and your dealer may not. I called 2 dealers and they both said that the lowest poundage limbs made for the Heli M are 60 pounds. Mathews said no, and emailed me a list with part numbers down to 40 pounds. Once I sent the list to the dealer, the story changed, lol.

Its claimed by the bow community that Mathews still has the capability to produced any parts of every bow they made, you just have to pay for it and wait a little....

Its claimed by the bow community that Mathews still has the capability to produced any parts of every bow they made, you just have to pay for it and wait a little....
This is what I understand. Mathews told me they had limbs for the Heli M in stock and ready to ship to the dealer. Got mine in in about 2 weeks.

Back