• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pickled Pickerel

Peterk1234

Been getting some ice fishing in the past few days. We caught a mess of crappie and perch and got to enjoy a huge fish fry with family and friends. But we also caught our share of pickerel. Few of them were 22 to 24 inches in length and fat. I decided to keep them and try pickling. I love pickled herring and heard good things about pickling pickerel.

Well, I was surprised how well they came out. They were finally ready to try today and I could not believe how tasty they were. As good, if not better than the store bought herring.

20191228_174941.jpg

Been getting some ice fishing in the past few days. We caught a mess of crappie and perch and got to enjoy a huge fish fry with family and friends. But we also caught our share of pickerel. Few of them were 22 to 24 inches in length and fat. I decided to keep them and try pickling. I love pickled herring and heard good things about pickling pickerel.

Well, I was surprised how well they came out. They were finally ready to try today and I could not believe how tasty they were. As good, if not better than the store bought herring.

View attachment 22686

I have been wanting to learn how to do this for years now! I love pike and I love pickled fish. Post the process and recipe please!

Water and pickling salt.. Enough salt to float an egg, cover fish, refrigerate 48 hours, rinse.

Cover fish with white vinegar refrigerate 24 hours.
Final brine
1.5cups vinegar
1.5cups white sugar
1t whole black pepper
2t pickling spice
5 Bay leaves
Heat to disolve sugar, add spices, cool
1 cup white reisling wine
Add fish in layers with onion. I also like jalapeños sometimes, garlic or lemon.

I used this last on river white suckers., they turned out just fine

Back