• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Piebald deer- To shoot or not to shoot

DroptineKrazy

SH Member
My wife and son ride to work together and this morning they spotted a Piebald deer right in the same area where I shot my buck last year. This got me to thinking how many hunter's would shoot a piebald if given the chance? I think I would if it was a really nice buck but probably not if it was any other deer. My thinking is that if it was a really nice buck I would shoot no matter what color it was so why not? The only problem with that strategy is the taxidermist bill for the full mount and where to display it lol. What do you guys think and have anyone ever shot a Piebald? Pics too please. I'm hoping I get pics of this deer as I have a cell cam right in that general area. If I do I would be happy to post them.

If I was a deer I'd shoot if it was normal color, sure. If not, I probably wouldn't.

I find piebald and albino deer interesting, but it's not enough on its own for me to target one. That said I've never seen one personally so that's just theory at this point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm still at the stage of kill everything except fawns....beggars cant be chooser.
*Fist bump* they all look tasty to me!

Didn't get him but hunted him for a season. I'd shoot one for sure.
In what scenario is he not a shooter?

@DroptineKrazy , I hope you get some drop tines on him too. You'll figure something out to do with him after you bag him :)

I'm still haunted by a late season piebald doe on public land in Georgia 15 years ago. I shot over her back with my longbow at 25 yards. She was really cool looking... Had a white strip running along the top and more white than brown on the rest of her body. Just wasn't meant to be but I went back to compound because of that shot.
I've seen 2 my hunting career. Both on public land but only had an opportunity at that one doe.

My younger brother was chasing one for two years and finally killed it in last gun season.
They are beautiful animals, I would rather kill one and put it on the wall then let it die of natural causes and possum’s and coons eat it and the hide rot.
We have a Grey/Piebald doe we found this turkey season on public, I would love to kill her with a bow, but she is definitely beautiful. Unfortunately if my brothers or I don’t get her she will get kill by the Amish, and they don’t appreciate a 200” buck let alone a Piebald …they only care about the meat.

If it was legal I'd shoot, buck, spike, doe, yearling... If it had piebald on the face/neck I would do a shoulder mount. If the coloration was on the body I would have it tanned out and display it some how. But I've never seen one so never had the opportunity. I hope you get to take him and enter it in the comp for 100X

Back