• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pin method for ratchet strap ring of steps

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Hey guys, give me your opinion on this pin attachment for a ratchet strap ring of steps. I like how the ratchet strap is able to get the steps really tight to the tree, but I hate fooling with threading the strap through the buckle at ground level much less at over 20 feet. This way, I can have the strap threaded and just pass the loop through and put the pin in and clip over the keeper. I don't know what the weight rating on that clevis pin is. Thoughts?

I got the idea from the ratchet strap that comes with the Millennium trees stands strap bracket. It has a similar system.

Attachments

• Pin 1.jpg
    Pin 1.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 83
  • pin 2.jpg
    pin 2.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 83
No, I've been using the OCB strap from Eastern Woods Outdoors. It gets pretty dang tight, but you only get that cam over. With a heavy-duty ratchet strap, you can really lean on it and get those steps super tight. I've had these ratchet straps for a while, and this is my spare set of rings of steps, and I want to try something different.

Last edited:
I like it, may try that myself as I've been playing with a similar idea with the pin. If it's grade 8 or similar rating for the clevis I would think it's safe

Looks like a decent idea. Just don’t drop the pin!

I like it, may try that myself as I've been playing with a similar idea with the pin. If it's grade 8 or similar rating for the clevis I would think it's safe
I could not find any specifications on the harness of the pin, but it does seem to be an industrial fastener. It also has that gold plating look they put on grade 8 but I am not convinced. I ratcheted it down tight 3 or 4 times yesterday and then took it off. The pin showed no signs of wear or deformation or bending. The pin cost $2.50 so they would be easy to replace regularly if that becomes a concern.

I went with 3/16 but if I got another, I would get 1/4 now that I see the 3/16 hasn't bent. There is room for 1/4, I think. I should have put my caliper on the bolt before I went to the hardware store.

Hey guys, give me your opinion on this pin attachment for a ratchet strap ring of steps. I like how the ratchet strap is able to get the steps really tight to the tree, but I hate fooling with threading the strap through the buckle at ground level much less at over 20 feet. This way, I can have the strap threaded and just pass the loop through and put the pin in and clip over the keeper. I don't know what the weight rating on that clevis pin is. Thoughts?

I got the idea from the ratchet strap that comes with the Millennium trees stands strap bracket. It has a similar system.
You asked for an opinion........I would ditch the ratchet and go w/ EWO OCB. Mine stay really tight. Lt Wt and simple, but it's good that we don't all like the same things. Have you tried the strap on your ratchet w/ the hook so you don't need a pin??

Check out the OCB from Treehopper. I think you'll like it.

You asked for an opinion........I would ditch the ratchet and go w/ EWO OCB. Mine stay really tight. Lt Wt and simple, but it's good that we don't all like the same things. Have you tried the strap on your ratchet w/ the hook so you don't need a pin??
Yes, I have the Eastern Wood Outdoors OCB and used it all last season. It works great once you get the hang of camming it over. This is for my second set of ring of steps and I wanted to try something different.

Check out the OCB from Treehopper. I think you'll like it.
I've seen it mentioned on here and like that longer fulcrum arm for the cam over, but I wondered if it gets in the way of the step placement. I have noticed I have to be careful on smaller trees where the OCB I have now goes in relation to the steps so it isn't in the way.

I've seen it mentioned on here and like that longer fulcrum arm for the cam over, but I wondered if it gets in the way of the step placement. I have noticed I have to be careful on smaller trees where the OCB I have now goes in relation to the steps so it isn't in the way.
Yep/ Cannot get the Handle too close to a step. I set mine in pairs of two and have room for the buckle unless the tree gets too small.

Yep/ Cannot get the Handle too close to a step. I set mine in pairs of two and have room for the buckle unless the tree gets too small.
Interesting. I set mine in twos on small trees where I have plenty of steps to spare but I space them pretty evenly on larger trees so I can maneuver around the trunk.

My Climbing stand uses similar pins for the cable that goes around the tree. I beleive mine are 5/16".

Back