• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform Aider

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
I have been wanting to try this for a long time and apparently I’m late to the game. Seems like a few guys are single sticking and adding platforms to the top. Instead of the stick I took one of my klemz platforms and added a two step aider based off of one Red Beard posted. It is phenomenal!

I climbed up several trees and it worked beyond expectation. I was worried the platform was going to be a problem maneuvering around but it was actually helpful as a grab bar and easy to climb over. The way the aider is designed and mounted it holds open without issue and is more like climbing a ladder than a traditional alternating aider. Bonus you can use either foot first without having to swing the foot loops around.

Just based off a couple hours of messing around I am looking at this being my go to method for everything. If you haven’t tried this I highly suggest it. I’m mad I didn’t do it sooner.
3d181145f6bda50577845bc2ab2080c2.jpg

And I forgot to mention this drops nearly 6 lbs from my system!!!! Are you kidding me? I was already carrying a platform with my spurs. I have to be around 6lbs for my total pack.
196cfb2693d5aba80f773e687551f901.jpg

Great idea. I haven’t tried one sticking, I will soon. Still just not sold on it as it appears like a stumbling boob like myself will make to much noise or movement.
I hate carrying 4 sticks. Three gets me close to the height I wanna be in an area of mature hardwoods I hunt on public land.
The platform aider could provide me the additional height I would miss from fourth stick.

I had my first try at platform+aider climbing today. I never used sticks before and just got into this whole thing this spring.
My attempt was not too terribly smooth,but i wanted to leave room for improvement. At least i learned that my aiders are a good length,i tied those with 1" tubular webbing.
I dont have a dyna clip for my tehter,just a figure 8 knot. I think i will upgrade to a clip plus stopper knot.
I made it up about 20' because i had to to get to the first branch so i could rappel with my DRT setup. It took me a while and i worked up a sweat,but it is in the upper 70's and the skeeters were after me.
I am sure with practice this is a pretty sweet climbing technique and will be my method when i can't or don't want to use a throwball and DRT.
Shout out to @Redbeard for posting this,i am gonna rewatch his video.

I honestly don’t know if I’ll use my spurs at all This season. The only issue would be your mondo trunked trees (+3’ dia). I do like hunting from big trees for cover. I may have to sacrifice that option in the name of carrying less gear.

I honestly don’t know if I’ll use my spurs at all This season. The only issue would be your mondo trunked trees (+3’ dia). I do like hunting from big trees for cover. I may have to sacrifice that option in the name of carrying less gear.
How does it work being so far away from the tree trunk?

Really like that system. I never thought one sticking was easy enough to give up my sticks but this caught my interest. @Wirrex I realize you can hold onto the platform to stabilize upper body but curious how much swing you get below waist(side/side and in/out)since you can't plant your foot into tree. Seems like it would be more stable just because the two vertical lines on the aider are spread apart. Does it require a guy to beef up the abs to stabilize?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Really like that system. I never thought one sticking was easy enough to give up my sticks but this caught my interest. @Wirrex I realize you can hold onto the platform to stabilize upper body but curious how much swing you get below waist(side/side and in/out)since you can't plant your foot into tree. Seems like it would be more stable just because the two vertical lines on the aider are spread apart. Does it require a guy to beef up the abs to stabilize?

I find it fairly easy. The middle of my foot is in the aider and the tip against the tree.

I still use the tree but side to side movement is astoundingly less due to the wide mounting points. It’s great.

Any instructions on making that aider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I followed this method:

I think they are around 18” steps.

So you’re caming the platform on every move vs leaving it folded?

So you’re caming the platform on every move vs leaving it folded?

I just pull it down. I don’t crank the rope tight. Do it just like you’re hanging a stick, no added caming needed until your setting it to hunt.

Last edited:
Back