• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform and step ring

sdonx

SH Member
Does anyone use both? Now I am new and practicing early and often. I have been only using a stepp for a platform, but I love the way I can dance around the tree when I pair with a ring. I am thinking of using three bullmans/ Ameristep's with the predator. Does anyone use both?

Just today I was thinking... I could put a bolt off each side of my platform. I have not done it but GREAT MINDS must think alike! ;)

Just today I was thinking... I could put a bolt off each side of my platform. I have not done it but GREAT MINDS must think alike! ;)

It works great. I’ve also put in a bolt ring and it works good also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do cheat with screw in pack and bow holder on Public. I was also thinking a few screw in steps. I am setting up a couple 3 step OCB's for this.

Does anyone use both? Now I am new and practicing early and often. I have been only using a stepp for a platform, but I love the way I can dance around the tree when I pair with a ring. I am thinking of using three bullmans/ Ameristep's with the predator. Does anyone use both?

I use a variety of setups but the one thing in common is that I always give myself the ability to walk around the tree. Always give yourself this option and don’t learn the hard way like I did.

I plan to, but I'm making my own steps.
Finished cutting blanks the other day.
fbd43a45702088f6734fee2ebb50e0a3.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I use a variety of setups but the one thing in common is that I always give myself the ability to walk around the tree. Always give yourself this option and don’t learn the hard way like I did.

Sounds like hard learned words of wisdom. Thanks @Swampfox

I am really leaning towards using the WE’s in conjunction with the Predator. Predator being the main platform thentwo WE Stepps on either side

Did a buck spot ya?

Yes, using an xop platform. A nice 10pt came in on my week side and I had no option to walk around the tree when the shot opportunity presented itself. He ended up walking behind me so I tried to rotate my strong side out from the tree and he picked me off. Tuff lesson but one I’m determined to not let happen again, I’m still bitter about it. Almost gave up on the saddle early on however I’ve come to love my saddles.

@redsquirrel Curious your opinion on this topic? I'm assuming you were able to spend some time with a predator. I'm planning to purchase one to try out. I feel like I need to try the other approach...and support Tethrd. Plus having a platform, even if it ends up not being my preferred approach, will be a plus for getting my friends to try a saddle. I only have 1 season under my belt and really felt comfortable on the ring of steps.

Just curious if you will be working a platform into your system or if you still prefer the ring of steps? I recall you were selling off the XOP style platforms "for lack of use".

@redsquirrel Curious your opinion on this topic? I'm assuming you were able to spend some time with a predator. I'm planning to purchase one to try out. I feel like I need to try the other approach...and support Tethrd. Plus having a platform, even if it ends up not being my preferred approach, will be a plus for getting my friends to try a saddle. I only have 1 season under my belt and really felt comfortable on the ring of steps.

Just curious if you will be working a platform into your system or if you still prefer the ring of steps? I recall you were selling off the XOP style platforms "for lack of use".
I have not had my hands on the predator yet (@Erniepower !! :p). I will never stop using steps, but I fully intend on trying to integrate a platform into my setup this year. I've been along on the ride for the design of this platform from day 1 and I can tell you that it is badass. The reason I sold off the xop platforms was because I could never see myself carrying such a bulky thing into the woods and then trying to fiddle with cam'ing it over. The predator platform's design is much more compact and lighter so that is a huge plus. It is a "klemz" style, so setting it up is much easier than cam'ing it over.
My main intention for using the platform is when I'm climbing with spurs or my eonpow climber and going mobile. I find putting spurs back on in the tree to be an act of acrobatics so I just end up rappeling down. The guys using spurs with the platform have no problem putting them back on so I figure I can drop the rappel gear.

I have not had my hands on the predator yet

Really?! Come on @Erniepower! How does that happen? (How was that @redsquirrel?)

Thanks for the input!

I agree with you...I think the predator platform looks awesome. I am extremely interested in putting it to work. I do however really like the ring of steps. And I'm not convinced I will enjoy a platform more than steps.

Attachments

• guilt trip.jpg
    guilt trip.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 38
I’m hoping the platform is as bad ass as it looks! I used the WE steps for a platform last year and not sure I will use them in my set up this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little expectation management...

First of all, the Predator is as bad ass as everyone is saying. #truestory

Second - there are scenarios where I still use a ring style as opposed to a pivot style platform.

For presets, ring style shines
For mobile, pivot style is better for me
With spurs, pivot hands down
Large trees, ring style is better
Small trees, pivot is better

If I was primarily a mobile hunter and only wanted to buy one platform, I'd buy the predator.

If I was hunting mostly presets, I'd setup most of them with ring style platforms.

Anyone that tells you "this is the only way" is being dishonest with you, or they don't have the experience to be recommending anything in the first place.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

A little expectation management...

First of all, the Predator is as bad ass as everyone is saying. #truestory

Second - there are scenarios where I still use a ring style as opposed to a pivot style platform.

For presets, ring style shines
For mobile, pivot style is better for me
With spurs, pivot hands down
Large trees, ring style is better
Small trees, pivot is better

If I was primarily a mobile hunter and only wanted to buy one platform, I'd buy the predator.

If I was hunting mostly presets, I'd setup most of them with ring style platforms.

Anyone that tells you "this is the only way" is being dishonest with you, or they don't have the experience to be recommending anything in the first place.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

This has been a big part of my initial draw and continued obsession with saddle hunting. It is VERY adaptable. Minor adjustments in your gear combinations can make all the difference in being comfortable in a particular tree.

In some trees where cover is scarce, I leave a leafy or pine limb on my weak side, 90 deg from my hanging position at about hip high to help hide me. In this case a deer could hang up on the far side of my tree making a over the bridge or Turing on a platform towards the week side for a shot highly unlikely but a simple step around the tree makes the shot easy while leaving as much cover as possible.

I ordered the Predator also but will be using it in conjunction will a couple Bullman steps for the added around the tree action. Probably drop from 6 steps to 2-3 depending on how it sets up in my practice tree which is 12-14” at hunting height. May try the platform by itself on some smaller trees just to see how it works

Back