• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform help

Matki15

Okay guys so based on a lot of people’s opinions on the treesuit platform I asked a buddy of mine to make one for me. Well due to a combination of lack of certain materials and a mix up in communication the platform I got is HEAVY. I believe the scale said 9.6 pounds. Other than just using it for preset locations, how can I lighten this up? I’m already going to cut off the piece that connects the two legs, because that’s already not supposed the be there54B7A0CC-3B4D-4A7F-B559-D546B627E6E6.jpeg05CAA2FF-ECC6-40DF-9C80-AF1E7EC723FE.jpeg

The only way I see to lighten that monster up is to cut the cross member off at the bottom and shorten the legs up a bit. It's a steel platform so it's not going to be ultralight. But those are very stable platforms. Your only other option is find a great way to carry it so it doesn't seem so heavy.

The only way I see to lighten that monster up is to cut the cross member off at the bottom and shorten the legs up a bit. It's a steel platform so it's not going to be ultralight. But those are very stable platforms. Your only other option is find a great way to carry it so it doesn't seem so heavy.
Do you think cutting off the cross piece in the middle of the platform itself would affect the stability or strength to the point of it being unsafe? Most of the pictures of this style platform, especially the factory made ones, don’t have that piece

I'm not a metal expert but I wouldn't think so since it's all welded together. There are guys on here who do metal for a living who could probably chime in. That's a pretty nice platform though. Your friend did a good job.

Cut off the pieces that connects the 2 legs and the expanded metal on the bottom would be the only thing I do to it, may knock a lbs off it

bang it up on your favourite tree and leave it there, make it out of the same mesh but thin ERW square tubing it's light and thin and will be great for your needs to carry around,regards wayne

Sell it, buy the material you want it made out of, and tell your friend to step up his skills.....
His skills weren’t the problem, I wouldn’t have asked him to make it for me had that been the case. The pictures I sent him of the platform showed it upside down because they were showing measurements so he took it as that’s how it hung on the tree, which is why there’s mesh on the bottom side

I vote for making it a permanent spot. Looks like he did some pretty good work, but he pretty much built it twice with the thickets angle iron he could find. I wouldn't modify it. You could try tying 100 camouflaged helium filled balloons to it. It will barely be noticeable... :)

I make mine out of 1x1x1/8" tube. Weigh 5# 8 oz

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190506-134825.png
    Screenshot_20190506-134825.png
    981.2 KB · Views: 15
I vote for making it a permanent spot. Looks like he did some pretty good work, but he pretty much built it twice with the thickets angle iron he could find. I wouldn't modify it. You could try tying 100 camouflaged helium filled balloons to it. It will barely be noticeable... :)
It’s definitely built well, he didn’t realize I was planning on carrying it with me everytime I went hunting. Tell me more about these helium balloons...I sense the making of a brand new way to get up a tree... “I can get up to 25 feet with no sticks OR aiders”:tearsofjoy:

It’s definitely built well, he didn’t realize I was planning on carrying it with me everytime I went hunting. Tell me more about these helium balloons...I sense the making of a brand new way to get up a tree... “I can get up to 25 feet with no sticks OR aiders”:tearsofjoy:
Don't talk like that! You are going to blow the DRT and SRT hunters minds! Ever watched the movie UP!? same idea... but for saddle hunting!

Back