• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stimputello

Hey all,

I'm a bow hunter and I'm pretty sure I'm going all into a Saddle Hunting system as opposed to the hand-me-down climber I own for a few reasons, the biggest reason is probably the fact that it's hard to find a good climber tree with good sign in the public land I hunt. Now I have been looking into the different platform options you all have posted about and I can't seem to make a decision, so I was hoping to get some people to chime in and see what they think about the system I plan on running.

I'm already planning on buying Wild Edge steps (10 or 12) with an aider as a climbing method and potential platform option, or supplementary steps.

So here are my options:
  1. Extra Wild Edge Steps (2 or 3) as a platform and to allow movement around the tree.
  2. Tethrd Predator Platform because I feel as if I'd be much more confident (and familiar) on a platform that's similar to a hang-on.
  3. Tethrd Predator with extra Silent Approach Steps to comfortably scoot around the tree.
  4. Ring of Silent Approach Steps

I'm currently leaning towards the Tethrd Platform just because of ease of setting up, but any info would be awesome.

I'm not too worried about the extra weight as all of these systems are already way lighter and more compact than my ancient 30lb+ climber. I'm most worried about comfort, confidence with the system, and set up time in a tree. I know it'll take time to get used to saddle hunting in general, so I'm not sure if I'm headed in the right direction. Any and all information is welcome, let me know what works best for you, even a different system!

If any of you also use anything similar, let me know how it feels for you. The more info the better!

I havent seen a predator in person nor a good picture showing how big it is. If its big enough(same as my xop seat) its all you need to shoot 360 around a tree within reason. I hunt a lot of 16" diameter and under trees and no problem. On the bigger trees I sometimes add a step, either wild edge or screw in depending on public vs private

I've been using a ring of Silent Approach Steps and I'm really happy with them. I've used them on both smooth and rough bark trees and they work equally well on both; no issues with slippage. The ratchet and strap they come with are heavy duty and you can get them very tight on the tree. I also have an Ernie platform (with the XOP seat) and like it too, but I find the ring of steps easier to set up. Just my $.02.

I'm with @fbwguy. Simple, cheap, comfy!
fd202253d624fb33e5699ef6b6dcb6df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3 votes for the wooden primal platform. Mines set up like the ones above. I have over 50 hours on mine this season and it’s been great.. and cheap!

Primal and wood. I tried plywood but I was not very smart and cut the wrong grain. And now I need to create one out of real wood now that I know how great it has worked for me. The grain should go right to left and not front to back..
573c4e3b09cca199027a4c8f9a36cf7c.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Another vote for the predator. Super simple to set up, packs well, and is very solid on the tree.

I know you said your getting some WE steps, but if you have climbing sticks I would highly suggest you try out the one stick method. I tried it in the yard today and it was a lot easier than I expected. With a little more practice I believe that'll be my go to climbing method.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Primal and wood. I tried plywood but I was not very smart and cut the wrong grain. And now I need to create one out of real wood now that I know how great it has worked for me. The grain should go right to left and not front to back..
573c4e3b09cca199027a4c8f9a36cf7c.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Say what? Plywood is strong cause they alternate grain with each layer. On a platform I would think you want the grain front to back. Otherwise you could snap the board easily.

Also for guys with this mod, why stand on the end, that's like standing on a step. I keep both feet flat on platform, no pressure issues.

Say what? Plywood is strong cause they alternate grain with each layer. On a platform I would think you want the grain front to back. Otherwise you could snap the board easily.

Also for guys with this mod, why stand on the end, that's like standing on a step. I keep both feet flat on platform, no pressure issues.
I do stand on it flat, but I always push back to the edge to get pictures, otherwise my ole feet block the view! LOL

I just chose that pic so you could see the board better. I stand flat on it most of the time. Pic also demonstrates the ability to put extreme pressure without it pulling away from tree. Also stands up to side pressure really well. All in all it is a fantastic platform, and the price quite simply cannot be beat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've been using a ring of Silent Approach Steps and I'm really happy with them. I've used them on both smooth and rough bark trees and they work equally well on both; no issues with slippage. The ratchet and strap they come with are heavy duty and you can get them very tight on the tree. I also have an Ernie platform (with the XOP seat) and like it too, but I find the ring of steps easier to set up. Just my $.02.
How is comfort with both systems, any difference in foot fatigue or anything else?

It’s a 3/4” piece of plywood painted and a harbor freight step pad on it. It’s slid into a Primal step, a WE step knockoff. I’ve spent 11 hrs straight on it without any discomfort.

Amazing you guys dont get any shifting. Some of mine shift just normal climbing.

Are them primal step platforms holding up pretty good? I could see myself using that as a preset so all I'd have to bring is the plywood and slide it in.

Holding up good. I bought 8 earlier this year. I keep 4 for climbing with the 5th as the platform for public land, and I have 3 set up as presets n my land. I did bend one last week trying to cam over on a public land pine. But I was able to straighten it out. I’m pleased with them for only $42 shipped

Where did you buy yours? Cant seem to find any on the interwebs
Holding up good. I bought 8 earlier this year. I keep 4 for climbing with the 5th as the platform for public land, and I have 3 set up as presets n my land. I did bend one last week trying to cam over on a public land pine. But I was able to straighten it out. I’m pleased with them for only $42 shipped

The primal v step with wood platform could be a viable option. Definitely the cheapest option. I don’t have it though so I can’t really say.

The predator platform is as good as it gets for the small compact pivot style platforms. It makes the xop style platform obsolete. Not that it works so muck better but it’s easier to setup weighs less and is more compact to carry. The gen 2 should be next to indestructible the first model was plenty strong.

I have the wild edge stepps and use them a lot as a climbing method and platform. I don’t think I would use them as a platform unless I was using them to climb.

The ameristeps on a strap I haven’t used yet. I just had some come in the mail today. I got them on a strap and I think I will like them.

The xop hand climber top is a little heavy for a platform but where you can use it to climb also it’s about as light as it gets without drills and carbon bolts.

Back