• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platfrom

hunter1177

Looking to by a platform but not sure what's better small med xl been looking a lot at the xop edge lw seat platfrom kit seen the new smaller mission

I have not sat in a saddle yet so I have no experience. I def. gather like anything else its a personal preference. I bought a Ridge Runner platform, a ring of steps and since I already owned an XOP hand climber I will try that out as well. I don't plan on using the ROS as my main platform but steps on either side of the hand climber or RR. Where I hunt I will use my RR platform some days and will use the hand climber others. This is why I bought the RR platform instead of just running the XOP hand climber.

I was in the same boat when trying to decide. I know I'll be a sitter more than a leaner so I figured I would like a more medium sized platform since I'll be going back and forth from sitting and leaning. Who knows, I might dislike them all.

For what it’s worth I’m on my third RR platform now because I kept coming back to it after trying others. Had the Mission before and it was an awesome platform. Only reason I sold it was because it was so much like a small tree stand that I started to want to be able to sit down on a real seat while I was up there. So sold it and got a LWCG .5. But I still keep my RR for when I want to go ultra light.

My vote would be to try either the RR or the Mission.

I can’t speak to some of these other similar platforms about to be launched though. If you wait until late spring/summer, you’ll probably see majority of what will be new for this year. Never know what’s gonna come around so if you can wait, might end up being worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if they still have them but Midway USA had the Hawk Helium platform for $59.99 and the one that will fit on the Hawk climbing stick for $29.99. Might check them out.

Everyone is different but it really depends on your style of hunting and what is most important to you.

I have a slanted scout on top of my EWO 1 stick. For after-work/morning/evening/short sits it's really all I need as I'm primarily a leaner. For half-day and longer sits, I'm going to haul my platform out. I had a mission and sold it as I want to try out one of the new ones coming out, either the EDP or the Seeker from Cruzr.

PS, if you're looking for a 1 stick setup with a small platform, I have a mini hawk stick with HSP bolted on. Looking to get rid of it so I'll make ya a deal if you're interested.

1613496671477.png

Looking to by a platform but not sure what's better small med xl been looking a lot at the xop edge lw seat platfrom kit seen the new smaller mission
I just started using a saddle this past season, and because of work I only had a chance to actually hunt 6 days. But I did practice climbing and setting up quite a bit during the latter part of summer into fall. I ended up buying the Treehopper tree suit platform. It's light as a feather, rock solid on the tree with an OCB, and won't break the bank. Overall a great platform.

That being said....the few days I did get to hunt, I hunted daylight to dark. I wear a size 13 boot, and I spent most of the day leaning with the front edge of the platform about centered under my boots. In practice, it wasn't a bad thing. But after a few hours in 30ish degree weather trying to stay still, I found my feet were really starting to hurt, and almost go completely numb.

After coming home a few times complaining about my feet killing me, my fiancé decided the mission would be a good Christmas present. I haven't had the chance to hunt out of it, but I have climbed a little and set it up. It most definitely is like being on a small hang-on. But it is much more roomy, and I feel like I have plenty of room to stand up when I need to. The trade-off is the added weight.

The problems I had with the Treehopper platform are most likely due to my lack of experience in the saddle, and could probably have been corrected by some simple adjustments.

And that is why you made her a fiance. Honestly the trade off for the weight of the mission is a no brainier. It is not like you are carrying 5 extra lbs. You would be carry a platform anyways, so in actuality it is a couple extra pounds. If it is a big deal to everyone, lose 5 lbs of belly weight (I know I have about 20-30 extra lbs there). I have done the side by side with the the predator XL. Hands down mission, no question.

Everyone is different but it really depends on your style of hunting and what is most important to you.

I have a slanted scout on top of my EWO 1 stick. For after-work/morning/evening/short sits it's really all I need as I'm primarily a leaner. For half-day and longer sits, I'm going to haul my platform out. I had a mission and sold it as I want to try out one of the new ones coming out, either the EDP or the Seeker from Cruzr.

PS, if you're looking for a 1 stick setup with a small platform, I have a mini hawk stick with HSP bolted on. Looking to get rid of it so I'll make ya a deal if you're interested.

View attachment 44551
How much

Back