• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platow and dump pouches

trapperm

Anyone here use a platow pack and dump pouches on their saddle?

I just moved into a Platow pack from a regular backpack and noticed that the Platow waist belt sits over my dump pouches. I tried moving the pouches off of my saddle and on to the Platow but they then become arm rests (not in a good way) and are sort of in the way. The fox for now is to just ditch the dumps and put my ropes inside the platow pack.

Looking for input/advice on a solution that would allow the use of the dump pouches still.

Following. I basically DIYed my way to a platow pack and I like it so much that I am considering getting the real deal. I do not have this issue even though I wear my saddle with dump pouches in. Could it be a strap adjustment issue? Like can you shorten the straps on the back so the platow rides higher?

I have a platow and use dump pouches on my saddle. I also have pouches on my platow belt. What I do is just wear the platow a bit higher so the belts essential stack on top of each other. On my platow I run a DanO fleece pouch on either side and keep my release in one and gloves or rangefinder in the other. The dump pouches on my saddle I have one on my left hip I use for various items and roll pouch for rappelling on my right.
the pouchI run on my left side is a collapsible condor pouch so if it’s not earning it’s keep it stays folded up. I can provide a pic if that would help.

Anyone here use a platow pack and dump pouches on their saddle?

I just moved into a Platow pack from a regular backpack and noticed that the Platow waist belt sits over my dump pouches. I tried moving the pouches off of my saddle and on to the Platow but they then become arm rests (not in a good way) and are sort of in the way. The fox for now is to just ditch the dumps and put my ropes inside the platow pack.

Looking for input/advice on a solution that would allow the use of the dump pouches still.
The platow is really adjustable, you can shorten the overall length then it should not be an issue. PM me if needed

Do you really need dump pouches on your saddle. I carry my ropes in my C.A.Y.S pack that way I don't have pouches hanging off my saddle and blowing in the wind or swinging when I move.

Do you really need dump pouches on your saddle. I carry my ropes in my C.A.Y.S pack that way I don't have pouches hanging off my saddle and blowing in the wind or swinging when I move.

I don’t really, no. At the tree I have to drop my platow in order to remove my platform and sticks anyway. I kept a lineman’s belt in one pouch before and it was just part of the routine so I wanted to keep that if possible.

I don’t really, no. At the tree I have to drop my platow in order to remove my platform and sticks anyway. I kept a lineman’s belt in one pouch before and it was just part of the routine so I wanted to keep that if possible.
I dunno about the Platow but with my version I found I could take sticks and platforms off with the pack still on.

I dunno about the Platow but with my version I found I could take sticks and platforms off with the pack still on.

I’ll have to try a little more diligently. Seems like your not the only one that’s mentioned the ability to do so.

I just started using the platow for my last 10 hunts. I actually prefer running the dump pouches on the platow waist belt. Feels the same as running on saddle. Once in tree they are out of your way and no swinging. Makes me love the platow even more! I also run a predator like pack up top to store saddle on my walk in with layers on platow. This system is extremely efficient and hassle free.

It's all personal preference. I prefer my ropes on my person in dump pouches.

To the op, I used the Platow all year with dump pouches on my saddle. I have it adjusted such that the waist belt is almost directly over the waist belt of my saddle, riding just a touch high. This gives me access to both dump pouches.

Played with the pack tonight. I wasn’t really able to get too comfortable with the dumps on the saddle but that’s not much of a deal to me. I believe it’s partially attributed to the cheaper Amazon pouches just being rigid and large.

That said- after getting the myriad of straps set up I am pretty satisfied with my purchase and if it holds up for a while I believe it will be a great addition to the Arsenal.

I will be sewing a grab handle on the apex of the top straps though. I seem to find myself grabbing for that often.

I have a platow and use dump pouches on my saddle. I also have pouches on my platow belt. What I do is just wear the platow a bit higher so the belts essential stack on top of each other. On my platow I run a DanO fleece pouch on either side and keep my release in one and gloves or rangefinder in the other. The dump pouches on my saddle I have one on my left hip I use for various items and roll pouch for rappelling on my right.
the pouchI run on my left side is a collapsible condor pouch so if it’s not earning it’s keep it stays folded up. I can provide a pic if that would help.
Pics are always nice and I’d love to see your setup. I have 3 pouches on my saddle and like keeping my stuff in there. With a TideWe pack on I can still access all of them……I’d love to see a pic of this platow

Pics are always nice and I’d love to see your setup. I have 3 pouches on my saddle and like keeping my stuff in there. With a TideWe pack on I can still access all of them……I’d love to see a pic of this platow
Here you go, ignore the dadbod. I removed the right hand pouch from the platow to mod it so you won’t see it in the pic but it normally camps out there. Also the coyote dump pouch on my saddle is my older version, I’m modding the cinch strap on my other one so it’s not mounted in the pic. Hope these help.
The other reason I wear my platow high is I secure my bow across the shoulder straps and climb with it fastened. The loops to fasten the how look high in the pic as I’m still playing with the height but they’re normally a bit lower. Also once the bow is secured the weight pulls them down a bit.
922D9D17-46E8-46DE-82FF-BB1D8ABE1426.png0E34CF21-603B-46FF-83F9-0C83E010DC1B.png613FDABA-C6BF-435C-9E2C-8FF7FE3BA08F.png0F741133-B61B-43C8-A652-AE034E865137.png

That’s pretty sweet! Funny I have those exact same two pouches but on the opposite sides. I also have my hawk sack on there, but don’t really need them all. That roll up pouch is the bomb. Only fear is it bein able to really hold a lot of stuff, like maybe too much. After seeing those G hooks in action I ordered them for my leg straps and put the bolt cutters in action just now….cam buckles are gon!

That’s pretty sweet! Funny I have those exact same two pouches but on the opposite sides. I also have my hawk sack on there, but don’t really need them all. That roll up pouch is the bomb. Only fear is it bein able to really hold a lot of stuff, like maybe too much. After seeing those G hooks in action I ordered them for my leg straps and put the bolt cutters in action just now….cam buckles are gon!
G hooks are my new favorite thing

I have the Platow, how do you take sticks and platform off without taking pack off?

If you still have the plastic buckles whichever you have secured to the bottom just reach behind and unclip.

I must not be flexible enough. I tried unhooking my platform and my sticks and although it’s possible it’s not terribly comfortable or easy enough that I wouldn’t rather just put the pack down.

Must just be all of my bulky muscles?

Back