• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Playing with FOC

wvfarrier

I was messing around yesterday with different FOCs....im set on 18% but wanted to see what would happen. This is 300 grains at 30 yards. The arrow blew clear thru the deer and pushed the broadhead target back about 2 feet. The shaft was a 30" 250 spine black eagle carnivore. Bow is an Obsession FXL set at 60#.

Attachments

• 20190912_154436.jpg
    20190912_154436.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 47
I was messing around yesterday with different FOCs....im set on 18% but wanted to see what would happen. This is 300 grains at 30 yards.

So you put a 300gr field tip on and that's the result? Which weight tip do you normally use?
I like playing around with arrow weights too. I bought 6 3rdhand archery test kits so i can have 6 arrows to shoot verses only having 2 arrows with getting only 1 test kit. When i have a full quiver of 300s, hitting the target like a freight train, i can hear my chest hairs growing. I just wish i could justify the price of 300gr broadheads.

Here is what gold tip told me about my arrows

IMG_20190912_221532.jpg

I plan on getting into arrow tuning this next offseason. where do you guys recommend buying singles (shafts, heads, inserts, etc.) or test kits?

Just keep in mind that a heavier tip weight also effects the arrow spine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan on getting into arrow tuning this next offseason. where do you guys recommend buying singles (shafts, heads, inserts, etc.) or test kits?
Alaska bowhunting supply used to sell test packages...not sure what the still offer at this point.
But their website is a wealth of info. Anything from Ed Ashby is worth reading or watching. There is a lot of Ashby stuff on the Alaska bowhunter supply site.

The last 2 years i have been doing e.f.o c ( Extream forward of center) arrow experiments , finding the perfect spine by shooting bareshafts and cutting 1/16" slivers off until the arrow just barely moved over to the stiff line.. and then this spring and summer fletched em bareshaft tune, nock tune , & broadhead tuned em. I built 8 big game arrows and 3 small game arrows. The arrows are pretty heavy shafts to start with but they are blackhawk vapor pro whitetails( cant get them anymore cause goldtip bought them out ) aprox 740grains with an 21% f.o.c which brings them into the e.f.o.c range they have 50 grain brass inserts, and grizzlystik 200 grain tanto tipped single bevel maasai heads, i went through 2 broadhead targets this summer ; 2 shots in the same spot and they blow all the way through them.. Im gonna be looking into a rhinehart for next springs u.e.f.o.c ( ultra extream forward of center) build experiments.. Im always moving forward with my builds , always pushing the line and i havent got to a stopping point on how far i can take it yet..

The last 2 years i have been doing e.f.o c ( Extream forward of center) arrow experiments , finding the perfect spine by shooting bareshafts and cutting 1/16" slivers off until the arrow just barely moved over to the stiff line.. and then this spring and summer fletched em bareshaft tune, nock tune , & broadhead tuned em. I built 8 big game arrows and 3 small game arrows. The arrows are pretty heavy shafts to start with but they are blackhawk vapor pro whitetails( cant get them anymore cause goldtip bought them out ) aprox 740grains with an 21% f.o.c which brings them into the e.f.o.c range they have 50 grain brass inserts, and grizzlystik 200 grain tanto tipped single bevel maasai heads, i went through 2 broadhead targets this summer ; 2 shots in the same spot and they blow all the way through them.. Im gonna be looking into a rhinehart for next springs u.e.f.o.c ( ultra extream forward of center) build experiments.. Im always moving forward with my builds , always pushing the line and i havent got to a stopping point on how far i can take it yet..
What have you noticed with all the experiments? Any change in distance, trajectory or bow performance (noise or form changes)?

I'm going to try messing with this next spring and have watched some of ashbys talks and he mentions you should fly farther, straighter and hit harder. I just feel like there has to be some tradeoff. Have you tracked speed?

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

What have you noticed with all the experiments? Any change in distance, trajectory or bow performance (noise or form changes)?

I'm going to try messing with this next spring and have watched some of ashbys talks and he mentions you should fly farther, straighter and hit harder. I just feel like there has to be some tradeoff. Have you tracked speed?

Extreme FOC doesnt necessarily mean a HEAVIER arrow, it just refers to the balance point being farther forward. Arrows should correct quicker (less paradox) which leads to better trajectory and penetration.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

When you shoot heavier arrows your bow is super quiet, also when shooting from 50yrds ( i only hunt out to 40) in a heavy wind ; the wind doesn't noticeably push the arrow sideways at all , still flys like a dart and still hits its mark.
I used to be concerned with speed but i Dont pay much attention to it nowadays. I can notice a difference when its not nock tuned, the arrow seems to fly much faster when theres no erratic flight.
The downside is , ill need a different sight before i do the u.e.f.o.c build experiments next spring due to my pins location bieng maxxed out.

Last edited:
Extreme FOC doesnt necessarily mean a HEAVIER arrow, it just refers to the balance point being farther forward. Arrows should correct quicker (less paradox) which leads to better trajectory and penetration.

Agreed.. My next build will be with tapered shafts which are much lighter than the thick logs i started out with this time. Also , lightening up the rear of the arrow as much as possible helps tremendously..
E.f.o.c is defined as an arrow in the 19%-30% f.o.c. range

Last edited:
That’s

[/QUOTE
That’s why I went with the gold Tip Velocity 300. Lighter arrow to add the weight up front and not be overkill on weight. I had 3 pass through shots last year at hard quarter angle. My trajectory is fairly flat to 40 yards.

Agreed.. My next build will be with tapered shafts which are much lighter than the thick logs i started out with this time.
I've been shooting the tapered shafts from Alaska Bowhunter Supply for ~10 years now. I love them.
I shot cedar, ash, tapered and parallel, and xx75 of different shaft sizes. Those tapered AB (Sitka model) carbons fly the best for me.
AB doesn't sell Sitkas anymore but they do sell a different version of tapered carbon shafts.

I've been shooting the tapered shafts from Alaska Bowhunter Supply for ~10 years now. I love them.
I shot cedar, ash, tapered and parallel, and xx75 of different shaft sizes. Those tapered AB (Sitka model) carbons fly the best for me.
AB doesn't sell Sitkas anymore but they do sell a different version of tapered carbon shafts.

I was planning on trying thier tapered momentums next spring. Along with some ethics inserts.

Last edited:
I was messing around yesterday with different FOCs....im set on 18% but wanted to see what would happen. This is 300 grains at 30 yards. The arrow blew clear thru the deer and pushed the broadhead target back about 2 feet. The shaft was a 30" 250 spine black eagle carnivore. Bow is an Obsession FXL set at 60#.
This is an great read if you haven't ever read it before. The 12 penetrating enhancing factors by Dr. Ed Ashby

Back