• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Please Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieB

SH Member
As I get older, my knees are not what they used to be. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to take advantage of using my arms to pull me up as I climb? Here’s where the dilemma starts… if I use climbing sticks with a linesman’s belt, I am relying almost completely on my knees as I step up if I’m using the climbing belt properly.

I thought of using a hand grip on my tethr above my head. Is there a simple solution that is easy to use? Perhaps using 2 prussics on the tethr, one to tie in and one to use a carabiner(or similar) to pull up?

I also am considering we steps using modified Cain method which would allow me to use the step above me ahead to help pull me up.

Any other suggestions?

Not sure what a cain method is but I will say I had a bum knee quite a bit of this season two things helped:
When using climbing sticks, really focusing on using the step above or the next stick bottom step to pull up a bit paired with taking it sorta easy on distance between sticks or aiders. Just because I can run a 22" aider, 16 or 14 is a lot easier on the joints. Really got comfortable leaning into my lineman's and tether, setting my feet before moving up so knee stress was minimized as much as I could. Just giving myself more time to set up helped so I could move a bit more deliberately and mind my bum knee.

Second was using SRT. Once you get the method/motion down, it's practically no stress on any limbs and you can be as aggressive or casual as you like with how much gain you get per move. You don't also have to put as much downward force in your loop leg as stepping up on stick steps.

Good luck. I hate getting older! Looking at arthroscopic clean up trying to get my knee sorted out a bit.

even if the damage is already done, i encourage people to go to a podiatrist and see about custom molded insoles

if your arch isn't just right, then it puts undue force on your knees

i'm the only male in my family to hit 40 and not need a cartilage clean out because i recognized something was off (low/weak arches) and got insoles in my early 20s

Arch support for sure and start working those leg muscles. Biking and lunges will help get those knees stable.

Arch support for sure and start working those leg muscles. Biking and lunges will help get those knees stable.

OP didn't ask for my free advice, but I have to piggy back one more thing.

Leg muscle tightness has a huge impact on your knees. Tight muscles pull the knee joint out of shape. This includes your calf muscles because the soleus(deep calf) attaches to your femur and if it is tight it will pull your knee just enough to make it bad. When my sciatica was bad, it caused knee pain because it would cause my calf muscle to tighten into a ball. Stretching it gave instant knee relief.

I’d suggest SRT/drt. Also, wasn’t there some kinda mini climbing platform on here awhile back? Not exactly the solution but at least then you’d be putting all your weight on two legs instead of one

I’d suggest SRT/drt. Also, wasn’t there some kinda mini climbing platform on here awhile back? Not exactly the solution but at least then you’d be putting all your weight on two legs instead of one

the mini climbing platform was a single leg one, so I think that would be even worse on the knees

As I get older, my knees are not what they used to be. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to take advantage of using my arms to pull me up as I climb? Here’s where the dilemma starts… if I use climbing sticks with a linesman’s belt, I am relying almost completely on my knees as I step up if I’m using the climbing belt properly.

I thought of using a hand grip on my tethr above my head. Is there a simple solution that is easy to use? Perhaps using 2 prussics on the tethr, one to tie in and one to use a carabiner(or similar) to pull up?

I also am considering we steps using modified Cain method which would allow me to use the step above me ahead to help pull me up.

Any other suggestions?

there are lineman's belts that squeeze the tree (one being called the tree squeeze), these hold like a tether, so you might be able to use one and grab it and pull with your hands as well

i climb with my lineman's belt and my tether up above me

if i needed to grab a stick to climb, i would use the lineman's as a positioning device, keep the tether up above me with minimal slack and then step up one step using my hands, tend my tether to remove slack and then take another step

then you're only introducing one step of slack at a time, once you get used to using a lineman's and tether at the same time to climb then it doesn't really add much if any extra time or hassle

I’m 54 and my knees are my weakest link.
Whatever method I use to climb, I’ve Learned to be very careful not to let my knee get out of line with my foot and hip when I’m stepping up. In other words don’t let my knee go to the left or to the right but keep it straight and keep my weight directly over it. If I do that I’m fine. But if I let my knee kick out to the left or the right, I’m in a lot of pain.

Have you considered putting a hand ascender on a tether and using it as a handhold to get that upper body involved? You can move the ascender up the tether as you climb your sticks and your tether up as you climb.

Have you considered putting a hand ascender on a tether and using it as a handhold to get that upper body involved? You can move the ascender up the tether as you climb your sticks and your tether up as you climb.

this is a good idea

op could advance his tether as a redundant safety feature and have an additional prusik or other friction hitch on the tether rope between him and the tree and have that connected to a sturdy hand hold (piece of axe handle or something)

I’m 54 and my knees are my weakest link.
Whatever method I use to climb, I’ve Learned to be very careful not to let my knee get out of line with my foot and hip when I’m stepping up. In other words don’t let my knee go to the left or to the right but keep it straight and keep my weight directly over it. If I do that I’m fine. But if I let my knee kick out to the left or the right, I’m in a lot of pain.
^^ This. I have a close friend that it a strength and conditioning coach for athletes that focuses on movements. I have the same knee issues at 34. We worked on basic movements like stepping up on a box at knee level keeping those joints in line and strengthening with bands. It has worked wonders. Focus on daily movements and form like walking up the stairs with the joints in line to create the proper behavior is what I've learned. Seems simple but its more difficult than you think.

that is a good suggestion. Do you have any recommendations?

Traditional hand ascenders would work, but may consider looking into the Kong Futura or something similar.

Last edited:
thanks for suggesting the Kong futura, i'll take a look at that as an option!

I have bad knees. Lots of things said about climbing not much about once your in the tree. A JX3 keeps your knees off the tree and your knees will thank you
Also go to a physiotherapist and ask for the strengthening exercises you need

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back