• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Plywood platform the next generation.

ThereWillBeSpuds

So I made some tweeks to my previous plywood platform, upped the size, lowered the amount of tilt on the standing surface, added an attachment method that doesn't require tying knots or threading rope through a hole every time. Here she is.

Total weight is up to about 2lb 11oz, but the standing area is much larger. (Size 12 croc for scale)

The rope is 7mm sterling accessory cord I had laying around. I tied a double overhand stopper on one end of the orange rope and a triple overhand on the other (the different knots are just so I can tell the ends apart easily. The green rope is tied to the platform with a poachers knot and then tied to the orange rope with a blakes hitch.

9d3ab4114038566263bcb8ae8ac297ad.jpg
049144c654c973a4ae1dd69b1c2fab7f.jpg
77aa21960d31c9a6d6775d696ecf902f.jpg
ac2b9d02b2ce102594ab72e3ec44e263.jpg
de59b9b39e50147de7ea13f4dae9a0e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am already thinking I will shorten the bottom arm somewhat to get a little of the lean back, at this length its somewhat finnikey to cam over.

I am also thinking I may need a small amount of stiffening of the outside corners.

Lastly, I plan to add a tender to the blakes hitch.

Here is a rough schematic of the parts I cut. Obviously, make anything resembling this platform at your own risk, and never use it as primary life support.

Part number one is the main platform, number 2 is just a blowup of the little hangars I devised for easily and securely attaching the platform to a pack. note the slope on the slot "H" also be sure that the space between "H" and the corner right below it as drawn should be ample, as it is holding tension. The width of slot "H" is determined by the type of rope you use, it should be the smallest slot your rope will fit into readily, to ensure your stopper knot cannot work its way through.

Part number 3 is the block that is attached to part number 1 on the center of the top edge (as drawn) this is what the hinge is attached to, I did not include hinge holes on any of my drawings. I thru-bolted my hinge with 1/4-20 bolts. Part 3 is held away from part 1 a bit by a spacer, to allow space for the camoform tape I used to quiet the contact between the parts. I used 2 washers and a nut on each bolt as a spacer

Part 4 is the lower arm, It is also bolted to the hinge. Note that I intend to shorten part 4's "A" measurement to about 11" to tilt my platform and make it a little less of a PITA to keep cammed over.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 8.53.33 PM.png

Alright so I just hopped around on it, absolute failure. Dont build one of these like this. Lol. I was unable to get it anywhere near tight enough.

Check out the primal steps and wood platform. Very solid platform and definitely safer then just wood

Alright so I just hopped around on it, absolute failure. Dont build one of these like this. Lol. I was unable to get it anywhere near tight enough.

Yep the one I made folded up when I jumped around on it also!

Ive gone back to the original size and shape. Always intended to use this with my squirrel steps so Im also trying out a configuration with the ocb running through the platform in such a way as to more firmly hold it to the tree. This config didn't seem to have bad effects on the stability of the squirrel steps.

Will jump on it later and report back.

I truly think the second design was just too big and oriented too flat for the cam over design with 1/2 inch ply as material.
fb57378c317afd1651da8131f82906f3.jpg

Back