• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Plywood Primal Platform (PPP) DIY

bj139

I used a platform last year that was made from an aluminum fence post strengthener and a Primal step. I have been trying to build a lighter and simpler platform based on the Primal steps. I have something that seems to work and that anyone with a saw and drill can make. No welder or special equipment needed. I'm going to use this on my opener this Saturday. No more clinking of buckle against metal platform. I will add an innertube section to the buckle just in case it bumps against the Primal step. This design is not final but it seems sturdy enough to hunt with for now. I think 2 vertical wooden pieces might be better as well as using a piece of plywood that hasn't been outside for a year. Of course adding another vertical wooden piece might add a few tenths of an ounce so no sane saddlehunter would consider doing this. :D For around $10 this seems worth it, even as a backup platform. Fast forward to 9:00 if your attention span is limited or you don't want to hear a lot of blathering. :D

Last edited:
Is there an advantage over the older designed plywood platform? Maybe more strength with the supports?

Is there an advantage over the older designed plywood platform? Maybe more strength with the supports?

The other design is a separate wooden platform that is added after the step is attached. I tried that but I had no hands left for climbing while holding two pieces and the wood tended to slip out. My wood fell to the ground when I tried it while hunting. That turned me off right there.

Maybe I can make climbing platforms out of the eight Primal steps I have for the ultimate climbing experience. It would be a "game changer". :D Well, just like most previous "game changers".
Next question: But will they stack? :D

Made a simple 5 minute mod to my Plywood Primal Platform to increase strength.

I had the PPP up a tree today and the wood moved a bit. It needs a slight redesign. It didn't fall apart but tilted slightly. Kind of like a wooden scout. :D

I should just hunt the evening shift. I was in a tree from 9:30 to 2:30 but started getting hip pinch about 4 hours in. My Plywood Primal Platform was not constructed too well and was sagging so I ended up with an angled scout. It was difficult to stand up straight to relieve the pinch. I was in a saddle for 8 hours over the last two days and hadn't sat so long since last year so my hip pinch was set. I planned to sit till dark but decided the season has many more weeks, so I quit. I repurposed my insert plywood from last year and fastened it to the step this morning. It should be better. I hate two pieces when one will do. I only have two hands.

My last version of the PPP moved on the tree from side to side the last time I hunted. It felt like it might turn but the straps should hold it at a level enough position to prevent that. I am going back to my aluminum platform for now. I can get that rock solid.

I built a nice platform using a primal step and tubing, welded though. Tried sending pic but just cannot figure out how LOL, everything to big

I put some pics on Flickr.com and then just post the link on SH. It works great.
@Buckkillr Your platform looks great. It might pull away from the tree with all the leverage you can exert standing on the front edge. Let us know if you have any pull away.

I put some pics on Flickr.com and then just post the link on SH. It works great.
@Buckkillr Your platform looks great. It might pull away from the tree with all the leverage you can exert standing on the front edge. Let us know if you have any pull away.
I never got back to you on my welded platform. As long as it's set and bit in good they do not pull away and the harder the tree bark the better.

Back