• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Poll: do you check strangers cameras on public land?

How do you treat cameras on public land?

• I steer clear

Votes: 96 80.7%
  • I upload the pics but don't alter them

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • I upload the pics and delete photos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I take the SD card to look at pics later

• I take the whole camera

• I share my phone

• I drop trow and shine my moon

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I make sure I’m on camera

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Call the appropriate authority

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Jammintree

SH Member
So you’re out hunting public land and you encounter someone else’s trail camera, do you check it? Perhaps you’re on the trail of a long sought after giant, or maybe it’s in a location you had intended to set up in for the day, or perhaps it’s somewhere you never paid attention to before. What do you all think about people using trail cameras on public and do you simply leave them alone or check them to learn something, or…?

If you explain please tell us about what kind of public you hunt. Responses and feelings are likely different for those who hunt high traffic public vs large remote public.

I’d like poll responses to be private so that people will answer honestly - if votes are public I’ll try and edit the poll structure.

I'm fine with people running cameras on public. Try not to even get my picture taken but I'm sure it does, sorry dude. I also don't feel like your camera lays claim to a spot. if your butt isn't there when I get there it's my spot :tearsofjoy:

I've deleted my picture off of the cards and skimmed the photos before putting it back in the camera before. If I can avoid my picture taken ill leave em be.

I don't really have a problem with checking cards if not locked up. It's a bit of a moralistic gray area that seems to get some dudes pretty heated, but I say leaving personal property in the form of cams and stands on public land makes it accessible to others as long as they don't harm it. Unitented consequence for you? Sure, okay, don't leave it there.

In practice, rarely done it, maybe a handful of times over the years. Don't see much of a need I'm not a cam junkie as a scouting tool.

I've checked a couple that appeared to be abandoned after keeping an eye on them quite some time, and I've also checked a couple illegal masterbaiters to see if they left a photo of themselves I could text my warden buddy.

Last edited:
I feel like this and was always taught, if it’s not mine or don’t have permission from the owner then don’t bother it. I don’t see those wanting to read the cards of someone’s camera on public land any different than parking my truck on public just to come back and find someone was looking through my truck just to see what’s in it! Even if it’s parked on public, it still belongs to me just like cameras on public belong to the owners, if I wanted to see what is in that area then I would place my own camera and retrieve my own pictures. Just as I don’t sit in anyones stand that is left on public either. Just my two cents, God Bless!

I hunt mostly public land. Rules are not allowed to leave cameras or any gear up over night. I’ve spotted some cameras here and there. I just walk by like I own the woods and not care.
as far as mooning I’ve thought about it. But the only other person that need to see the squinting eye is my cancer doctor.

I feel like this and was always taught, if it’s not mine or don’t have permission from the owner then don’t bother it. I don’t see those wanting to read the cards of someone’s camera on public land any different than parking my truck on public just to come back and find someone was looking through my truck just to see what’s in it! Even if it’s parked on public, it still belongs to me just like cameras on public belong to the owners, if I wanted to see what is in that area then I would place my own camera and retrieve my own pictures. Just as I don’t sit in anyones stand that is left on public either. Just my two cents, God Bless!
Well said exactly my thoughts on this

Yes stealing someone’s intel from their trail cameras they worked hard to pay for is stealing, if you don’t own that camera and you mess with it in anyway you are a thief and a dirt bag.
I’ve had cameras stolen, camera chips cleared, SD cards stolen and expensive cameras shot into pieces by guns all on public.
How would you feel if someone found your wallet or phone in a public area and rummaged through it?

I was critical of someone who claimed to make fake scrapes and rubs to attract other hunters to poor areas.

However, I'm not against someone uploading a bunch of fake buck picks into a trail camera that is left in a poor area to fool folks that have no claim to those pictures.

I'd be ok with no trail cameras, but if they are allowed, I don't think folks should be messing with them if they don't own them.

I agree with leaving other people's stuff alone.

I think some states say it's public property if it's left on public land. Still not my thing. If your camera becomes public property.... it is fair game to be tampered with in my opinion. Wouldn't do it myself but I feel like it would be legal, a risk you take running cameras on public in that case

I agree with leaving other people's stuff alone.

I think some states say it's public property if it's left on public land. Still not my thing. If your camera becomes public property.... it is fair game to be tampered with in my opinion. Wouldn't do it myself but I feel like it would be legal, a risk you take running cameras on public in that case
So if I spend $1000 on cameras anyone can mess with them if they want? I would like to see what state says this is legal.

So if I spend $1000 on cameras anyone can mess with them if they want? I would like to see what state says this is legal.
I'll try to look for a state.

If you leave it on public and it becomes public property then, yeah sorry people messed with your now public stuff. I wouldn't. I have 2 cameras out. Risk I take.

I'll try to look for a state.

If you leave it on public and it becomes public property then, yeah sorry people messed with your now public stuff. I wouldn't. I have 2 cameras out. Risk I take.
I can understand people are going to be dirtbags, but It is not legal to steal their equipment.
Public property allow anyone to hunt anywhere, not to steal their equipment. If that’s the case you’re telling me I can take someone’s truck if it’s parked at a public parking area or walk up and take someone’s deer rifle they have leaning against a tree while they’re gutting their deer? According to your statement if it’s on public ground anyone can do whatever they want to do with your equipment.

I can understand people are going to be dirtbags, but It is not legal to steal their equipment.
Public property allow anyone to hunt anywhere, not to steal their equipment. If that’s the case you’re telling me I can take someone’s truck if it’s parked at a public parking area or walk up and take someone’s deer rifle they have leaning against a tree while they’re gutting their deer? According to your statement if it’s on public ground anyone can do whatever they want to do with your equipment.
I'm clearly wrong and have no point. My apologies

Back