• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Poll - How accurate are you with your compound bow?

What distance can you hit a 6" bullseye on first shot after not shooting your bow for 3+ months?

• 10 yards

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 20 yards

Votes: 36 24.3%
  • 30 yards

Votes: 51 34.5%
  • 40 yards

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • 50 yards

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Over 50 yards

Votes: 7 4.7%

• Total voters

kyler1945

SH Member
I'll be asking some random poll questions again to pull together some thoughts. So it's September. You haven't shot your bow all summer because of your job, wife, the weather, kids, other priorities, whatever excuse you can come up with. We place a 6" target on the hood of your truck. What's the distance at which you'd feel so comfortable in your equipment and shooting ability, that you'd take the shot?

Replace your truck with whatever thing in life that matters to you enough for the purposes of the exercise. I get it - some people have crappy trucks, and don't like their wife or dog.

If it works better for you, at what distance would you bet me 1000.00 that you hit the target (hit win 1000, miss pay 1000)?

I have used the same bow since 1998, Mathews FX, it’s like an extension of my arm and I refuse to switch, it has never let me down, I pull it out of the case 2 weeks before season and shoot about 6 times and go hunt, 30 yards and under for me.

Ill have to go to the range and see. Is this assuming my pins are still accurate? Known distance?

Well I am not a great shot but I love archery and don’t go 3 months without shooting :sweatsmile: so I’m not voting just commenting for I can follow

Ill have to go to the range and see. Is this assuming my pins are still accurate? Known distance?

This is the point.

You pick up your bow. You don't get to tune it, check pins, any of that.

Yes, the exact distance is known/calibrated to what you had your pins set for the last time you shot your bow.

The exercise is to find out how confident everyone is in picking up a cold bow and flinging an arrow.

You'll have to go to the range once a year to get a good idea. This is just a thought exercise.

Well I am not a great shot but I love archery and don’t go 3 months without shooting :sweatsmile: so I’m not voting just commenting for I can follow

You can vote.

Use your imagination. Imagine you haven't shot in three months. Think back to the last time you didn't shoot for three months. Whatever it takes to get there in your head. What distance are you willing to pony up 1000 bucks to prove your confidence.

Is there a bonus for ego points?? Honestly I say sub 25...same distance I feel confident shootIng at a cagey, pressured, testosterone filled buck(Not saying that I have and will shoot to 40ish yards if stars aligned (of course had mix results))

Edit: Voted 20 because of buck/truck fever

I haven't shot since September. I pulled it out a couple weekend ago. Nocked 1 of my hunting arrows walked to 20 drew, let down, walked to 30, drew, shot, hit where I was aiming, put it away. I voted 20 but it's nice to surprise yourself. But shooting in a familiar backyard is way different than real hunting situation

30 yards no problem. I couldn’t imagine going that long without shooting my bows.

OK, I haven't shot my compound in several weeks, not months, but probably 3 weeks. I've been focusing on shooting the long bow this summer.

I voted 20 but I had to know so I stepped off 30 yards and let one single arrow fly. Guess I can still feel good about my compound even if I'm still feeling shaky some days with the long bow.

Edit: Oh, by the way @kyler1945, you're familiar with the bow that launched this arrow. :)

1624406504273.png

Last edited:
OK, I haven't shot my compound in several weeks, not months, but probably 3 weeks. I've been focusing on shooting the long bow this summer.

I voted 20 but had to know so I stepped of 30 yards and let one single arrow fly. Guess I can still feel good about my compound even if I'm still feeling shaky some days with the long bow.

Edit: Oh, by the way @kyler1945, you're familiar with the bow that launched this arrow. :)

View attachment 48534

Should've gone to 40! You had it in the bag!

Back