• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Possible hip pinch solution

Empostarr

I know lots of people have tried to solve this problem, and while not a complete solution and it does have some limitations, it might be something useful for relieving some of the hip pinch experienced with current soft saddle designs.

Disclaimer, I am not a professional and this is to propose my idea and have everyone poke holes in it. It was so simple I can't imagine no one else thought of it and I didn't see it anywhere else when I searched.

Add a Prussik with a biner to your tether. Create distance between your main connection and this second connection. Clip your bridge into both.

Screenshot_20221008-125634_Gallery.jpg

With a long enough adjustable bridge, I can still walk around the tree, and would be able to lengthen or shorten it for standing or sitting. The further the biners, the less the pinch. Also, you don't lose the ability to rotate in the saddle.

Thoughts?

Also, it does make a difference in the direction your tail end connection is directed through the tether eye. The first image above doesn't introduce slack. The image below does. I found in the first image that when i walked around the tree it did not introduce slack neither.

Screenshot_20221008_131447.jpg

Do you mean you need to create that bend around the eye to eliminate slack? Where in the second picture it's just straight through the eye? Looks simple and seems like it would help with hip pinch

Do you mean you need to create that bend around the eye to eliminate slack? Where in the second picture it's just straight through the eye? Looks simple and seems like it would help with hip pinch
Exactly, without that bend, the eye of the tether slid down and created a little slack. With the bend, I didn't experience any issue with slack at all.

Agreed, and I had looked into that before in a lineman's belt application, but not for the main tether and attached to the bridge.

I'll be out tomorrow, so if I end up in a tree I'm gonna a try this for more than the few minutes I did it this morning.

I don't get much hip pinch with my Cruzr XC, but your idea is pretty clever. I don't see why it wouldn't work. How well does your bridge slide through both beaners?

Prussic on bith sides of the bridge would also eliminate this but makes bridge limited to adjustments

I don't get much hip pinch with my Cruzr XC, but your idea is pretty clever. I don't see why it wouldn't work. How well does your bridge slide through both beaners?
If my second biner didn't have vet wrap, it would not be a problem at all. I was still able to rotate just like with one biner, which is an important feature of saddle hunting I wasn't trying to lose.

The biggest limitation would be the length of your bridge. If this truly improves comfort I'll be making a longer rope bridge to replace the webbing that my merlin has. I like the webbing, but a rope one is so much easier to adjust.

Total agree brother. Great job. I will keep your idea stashed in the back of my head for when and if I ever start having problems with hip pinch.

View attachment 73302View attachment 73303View attachment 73304
Just popped out in the yard to try this. I literally just clipped my linesman into the bridge on both sides. Honestly more comfortable for leaning.
The only issue I see with that is if you let up on pressure the linemans could just slide down the tree since it's not girth hitched to the tree. I'd have to try it to confirm. With the tether the way I did it, it's still acting like a tether normally would even when you let up on pressure. And if you wanted to go back to one connection point you just unclip from the prussic biner and slide your tether back to center.

Did you notice any immediate slack or the linemans falling?

If your tethers long enough, can you tie a loop back from the eye? Or does that mess with the angle?

You could definitely do that I'd imagine.

I went with the prussic because it would allow me to adjust it either wider or narrower depending on the tree size and the comfort your looking for. I usually keep the prussic on my tether anyway, slid up to the eye to hold it and to use as a grab spot.

It's like just using your lineman rope rather than the bridge.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

It's like just using your lineman rope rather than the bridge.

Not exactly. Your linemans connects at your hips and doesn't allow you the movement you get from using your bridge with a tether.

This does "feel" like it pulls on your hips similar to using a linemans, but allows the mobility of the bridge and tether. Can still stand and sit, can still swing around the tree, it just relieves some of the hip pressure by changing the angle the bridge is pulling on your hips

The only issue I see with that is if you let up on pressure the linemans could just slide down the tree since it's not girth hitched to the tree. I'd have to try it to confirm. With the tether the way I did it, it's still acting like a tether normally would even when you let up on pressure. And if you wanted to go back to one connection point you just unclip from the prussic biner and slide your tether back to center.

My linesman never moved when I let slack in it. I tried several different tree diameters. I even hunted like this last night

You can also wrap the linesman around the tree twice. That will help it stay put.

Back