• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Possible novel rope climbing method

ThereWillBeSpuds

Please excuse my less than optimal drawing skills. Ok so I am currently climbing SRT and being infinitely frustrated with the throw bag.

This method could allow for climbing a rope straight up the tree, without any throwing, easily going around limbs, and without ever being unconnected from the tree.

A basal anchor is tied to the tree with a climb rated rope.

Two pieces of the same climb rated rope are tied to this rope with blakes hitches on one end, oriented so that they resist a pull down on the main climbing rope. These are put as far up the tree as one can reach, right under one another, and fastened with delta links. We will call these the upper and lower canopy anchors

The climber is attached to the rope with a Prussic which could be made to self tend with a bit of shock cord over the shoulder and a little ring tender.

Then a foot loop or pair of foot loops are attached to the rope with friction hitches.

Walk up the rope until you reach the lower canopy anchor, then advance the upper canopy anchor, going around limbs as needed. Then advance the lower canopy anchor to the same spot and continue upward.

Does this make sense to anyone? I suppose it's just two tether climbing with extra steps, but I'm not sure. I will have to try it.

603b305837bedca75b65308cd19e6d73.jpg

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

I like the idea but I’m stuck on one point. How do you advance the lower canopy anchor without switching to something avoid it and being held by the upper canopy anchor?

I like the idea but I’m stuck on one point. How do you advance the lower canopy anchor without switching to something avoid it and being held by the upper canopy anchor?
I guess I'm hoping you could hold the bottom of the blakes hitch and break it loose and allow it to slide until all the weight is on the upper anchor?

Alternatively, what if the upper anchor isn't a blakes hitch but rather a ring, and you attach to the tag end with a second prussic and one of the foot loops is on the tag end as well?

I guess I'm hoping you could hold the bottom of the blakes hitch and break it loose and allow it to slide until all the weight is on the upper anchor?

There are other friction hitches that will but a Blake’s hitch won’t release under load.

There are other friction hitches that will but a Blake’s hitch won’t release under load.
People rappel on just blakes hitches in drt, but I understand there is less load on the hitch in that case... maybe a blakes hitch isn't the right hitch.

Seems like hard work. If you wanted an SRT system but you don't have a preset, then what I do is one stick up the three...with my rappel rope and once at a branch or where I want to be for hunting height I put 550 cord in there prior to coming down and send the 550 cord to the ground tied in a loop. On the ground I then put the 550 cord and secure it to a branch or put a bolt into the base of the tree and secure the end of the cordage. When I come back to the tree, I send my rope up and girth hitch it to the tree...set up for srt and go up. Or...if I did not bring my gear for SRT, I always have my safeguard and one stick up the tree and advance my safeguard as my capture device.

If you want to get rid of the throw bag, a push pole method works.
You could go as high as you want with a climbing rope and an additional tether.

I don't like sliding friction hitches because they might slide or not slide oppositely to what I want.

I'm not understanding how you are going to advance the main line if there is always load on it.
In theory you can transfer the load to the lower canopy anchor then move the upper one and vice versa, maybe? The more I think about it the less doable this method seems.

In theory you can transfer the load to the lower canopy anchor then move the upper one and vice versa, maybe? The more I think about it the less doable this method seems.

The only way to make it work is like @redsquirrel said with a separate tether kinda like one sticking just hang from that second tether and move your main line! But then you might as well be one sticking, less to deal with but to each his own good luck brother!! Following

Back