• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Post season workout encouragement thread! 2022 EDITION!!!!!

SaddleUpPartner!

Welp my hunting season is all over, the holidays are over, there’s not a lot of parties going on with friends and my gym is closing and it’s the season of New Years resolutions.

I’m personally battling the “Covid 19 lbs” AND I’m violently fighting off this thing that comes with being a new Dad, the Dad bod. Not to mention all the Christmas candy and beer I’d been pounding down. I’m 32 next month, I have a thin build(About 6’1, 170) but am just wildly out of shape.
Time to dust off the old Insanity DVD’s and do the damage! There literally isn’t a better time to get into shape than now. I have one DVD set that I bought years ago that I didn’t even start. So my goal is to do the regular insanity 60 days and then do this 30 day “Asylum” DVD that I never used. Then alternate the two and maybe add in some running and other stuff too(hopefully hockey when the rinks open back up).
So whatever workout you choose, I want to wish everyone good luck. Let’s encourage each other through these dark winter months and roll into spring scouting healthy and ready to look for that coveted big buck.

Back to work as of late December. Working at an account I haven't worked at since I was 27. Everyone has let me know that I am no longer the lean mean fighting machine at 187. Time to hit the kettlebells hard. Still saddle fit and can out lift the bunch of them though.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I am actually in the process of creating an interactive fitness program designed specifically for saddle/mobile hunters. We spend 100's of dollars to save a few ounces and meanwhile could often be 10's of pounds lighter, stronger and be able to enjoy what the hunting we love more if we were in better shape. I'm still working out the details, but will hopefully be ready to go soon. In the meantime, what would be the #1 fitness goal you would like to achieve before the 2021 hunting season?

I am actually in the process of creating an interactive fitness program designed specifically for saddle/mobile hunters. We spend 100's of dollars to save a few ounces and meanwhile could often be 10's of pounds lighter, stronger and be able to enjoy what the hunting we love more if we were in better shape. I'm still working out the details, but will hopefully be ready to go soon. In the meantime, what would be the #1 fitness goal you would like to achieve before the 2021 hunting season?
Working out is for ***** willows. Just get a farm job or cut wood all day and you'll be in saddle shape. Just kidding.... No I agree, I have been on a mission since late last August to lose weight via Carnivore/Keto type diets where you stop consuming carbs and sugar. It has worked immensely I've lost probably 40 lbs. I have about 10 more lbs to get to my 175lb goal. I'm about 69" and my fitness level has increased greatly just by my diet. This deer season I was way more mobile because of my weight loss and I certainly want to keep that rhythm going for saddle hunting and for my over all better health. My problem is I have a desk job but I do have a pretty physical home life doing firewood, trapping, hunting etc. helping on my brother in laws farm sometimes etc. I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee about 5 years ago due to a torn meniscus. They told me not to run anymore do things like biking and swimming etc. so I'm not pounding on my knee. So my knee does begin to ache during hunting season especially if I really pounded on it due to just the climbing, walking, carrying heavier loads on uneven ground, dragging and pulling deer etc. So in answer to your question about my #1 Fitness goal, would be to lose weight to my target weight and then maintain that weight without the types and kinds of workouts that pound on my knees but aren't boring things like gym stints and wussy stuff like that. Sorry guys going to the gym just isn't me.

My goal is to finish Insanity and finish Insanity Asylum and then get to a point where I maintain a high level of fitness. I just want to get healthy overall.

Working out is for ***** willows. Just get a farm job or cut wood all day and you'll be in saddle shape. Just kidding.... No I agree, I have been on a mission since late last August to lose weight via Carnivore/Keto type diets where you stop consuming carbs and sugar. It has worked immensely I've lost probably 40 lbs. I have about 10 more lbs to get to my 175lb goal. I'm about 69" and my fitness level has increased greatly just by my diet. This deer season I was way more mobile because of my weight loss and I certainly want to keep that rhythm going for saddle hunting and for my over all better health. My problem is I have a desk job but I do have a pretty physical home life doing firewood, trapping, hunting etc. helping on my brother in laws farm sometimes etc. I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee about 5 years ago due to a torn meniscus. They told me not to run anymore do things like biking and swimming etc. so I'm not pounding on my knee. So my knee does begin to ache during hunting season especially if I really pounded on it due to just the climbing, walking, carrying heavier loads on uneven ground, dragging and pulling deer etc. So in answer to your question about my #1 Fitness goal, would be to lose weight to my target weight and then maintain that weight without the types and kinds of workouts that pound on my knees but aren't boring things like gym stints and wussy stuff like that. Sorry guys going to the gym just isn't me.

Funny you mentioned that. My doctor just told me this evening that he thinks my recent knee pain is from a torn meniscus. I am in the process of having an MRI scheduled now. I was doing good this fall and was running every morning and feeling great, since the knees issue has gotten worse I've had to stop and don't feel nearly as good as when I was running everyday.

alright i'm in. not sure what/ how yet, but agree with your mindset- I remember my "glory days" about 15-20 years ago when i could run a 5 minute mile. not trying to do that again, but need to get back into decent shape so i'm not huffing and puffing when i hike a few miles in.

Consistency is key! Anybody can workout hard for a week or even a month. Making a lifestyle out of it and being consistent throughout the year is more difficult tho. You’ve got this bud!

For myself, I’ve got a few trail runs planned(hopefully not cancelled due to ‘Rona) and I’m working my way back to doing Murph once a week

Funny you mentioned that. My doctor just told me this evening that he thinks my recent knee pain is from a torn meniscus. I am in the process of having an MRI scheduled now. I was doing good this fall and was running every morning and feeling great, since the knees issue has gotten worse I've had to stop and don't feel nearly as good as when I was running everyday.
The surgery was quick and very straightforward. They tried to solve it with Physical Therapy but the tear would fold over and my knee would swell and I felt like I was 90 years old. So glad they cut that piece out. Pain is gone but no more cushion..... eventual full knee replacement probably someday but I'm no way near that yet and if I stick to biking, swimming and other work and my diet I think I'll do ok. I hope I'll do ok.

Welp my hunting season is all over, the holidays are over, there’s not a lot of parties going on with friends and my gym is closing and it’s the season of New Years resolutions.

I’m personally battling the “Covid 19 lbs” AND I’m violently fighting off this thing that comes with being a new Dad, the Dad bod. Not to mention all the Christmas candy and beer I’d been pounding down. I’m 32 next month, I have a thin build(About 6’1, 170) but am just wildly out of shape.
Time to dust off the old Insanity DVD’s and do the damage! There literally isn’t a better time to get into shape than now. I have one DVD set that I bought years ago that I didn’t even start. So my goal is to do the regular insanity 60 days and then do this 30 day “Asylum” DVD that I never used. Then alternate the two and maybe add in some running and other stuff too(hopefully hockey when the rinks open back up).
So whatever workout you choose, I want to wish everyone good luck. Let’s encourage each other through these dark winter months and roll into spring scouting healthy and ready to look for that coveted big buck.
I just started the prep. I did insanity.a while back,but the red discs were just that,insane.
Good for you on keeping an eye on your fitness. It becomes more important as you get older and makes a big difference in your everyday feel.
My wife has a subscription to the beachbody online app and we both get to use it. Thats a pretty good deal and we get access to a bunch of different programs. It is nice to switch it up.

You should do a home workout program. I had my acl and meniscus repaired 5 years ago and my meniscus is macerated. It doesnt bother me much and working out only helps the knee. Running is pretty jarring and i dont do any of that,but lunges and all the other stuff i can do. I am mason so i get plenty of exercise during work but it is nothing like working out.

The surgery was quick and very straightforward. They tried to solve it with Physical Therapy but the tear would fold over and my knee would swell and I felt like I was 90 years old. So glad they cut that piece out. Pain is gone but no more cushion..... eventual full knee replacement probably someday but I'm no way near that yet and if I stick to biking, swimming and other work and my diet I think I'll do ok. I hope I'll do ok.
You did your knees a huge favor by loosing that weight. You got this,you are being.smart about it. I have a friend that is about to have knee replacement done and he could loose 80 #,maybe more. That is like me carrying a bag of cement all day everywhere. My knee would be done in a week of that.

Bump! How are we doing people!? If you’re having doubts, just believe that you can keep going! You can go further than you think, whether that’s one more mile, one more rep, or using a bigger dumbbell. Just remember, that big swamp buck isn’t going to take a break and neither should you. Keep hammering!

Yes, you can do it everyone! If you need any help I am about to launch "Gutshot Fitness" and looking for 5 more people for a Beta test. No equipment or previous fitness experience necessary. A backpack, rope (linesman would work) and something moderately heavy (log/bag of rock salt, etc) is all that is required. Some space to safely shoot your bow is recommended, but not required. Lose your gut, it time for the rut! PM me for more info.

I started January with a low card diet and a gym membership. I threw around weights for the first time in ten years for three weeks straight and was feeling great! Theeeen I caught the plague and the only real risks I take in terms of the plague is going to the gym. We keep to ourselves and don’t gather in groups or even hang out with our extended family. I definitely got it from Planet Sickness.

to any of my fellow saddle hunters considering hitting the gym, I would suggest you consider waiting.

Back