• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

POV field dressing video

Hardly_Hangin

Im tired of dragging deer. I do not want to lug a cart/sled or make a second trip back to the truck for it. I want to pack out meat.

There's several videos on field dressing game with varying methods. The common denominator I've found in my research, is you can never tell what the hands and knife are doing, its usually blocked by misc flesh or bad camera angles.

I want one video filmed in POV so i can see exactly whats happening as if i was there watching over their shoulder, with one super detailed take. No shortcuts, i want to immerse in the full process. From the time you walk up to the deer, to when you put on your lack to leave the woods.

If any of you savvy filming guys can do this, you will earn at least one like on your youtube video. Maybe even a subscribe.

Ask not want not, just putting it out there.

I don’t have the video your looking for, but.....

I lay the deer on one side and peel the hide back from the legs and belly and up over the back. Off comes the meat from the hams, shoulders and backstrap. Flip the deer over and repeat.

If you’re a heart and liver guy now is the time to get them and the tenderloins. If you’re not a heart and liver guy then come in below the spine and grab your tenderloins.

How's this?

Ive seen this one, he does a good job. I'm specifically interested in a "gutless" method, but this one is good quality.

I've tried gutting them just from watching videos, always get stuck trying to cut the windpipe and dealing with the anus area. Maybe it's a trial by error/ practice makes perfect deal, but it sucks when you're by yourself and don't know what your doing.

I don’t have the video your looking for, but.....

I lay the deer on one side and peel the hide back from the legs and belly and up over the back. Off comes the meat from the hams, shoulders and backstrap. Flip the deer over and repeat.

I appreciate the response. I guess im a visual learner, just need to shoot more deer to practice.

I fully understand, but that’s the best I can do right now, lol.

Sounds like a good video project though so I might give it a go once the season gets here

@Hardly_Hangin you live in a wonderful state with a 12 deer limit. In just 19 days from now drop one and practice. Dandy Newberg has a gutless video. None of them give a POV on removing the tenderloins because that part is done by feel. If you kill one close to the truck drag it out and practice your gutless method on the tailgate so you don’t have to bend over. You’ll waste some meat the first time. That’s ok. Once you learn how to break them down it isn’t that bad. Of course if you want to get to the liver/heart you’ll have to gut.

I've tried gutting them just from watching videos, always get stuck trying to cut the windpipe and dealing with the anus area. Maybe it's a trial by error/ practice makes perfect deal, but it sucks when you're by yourself and don't know what your doing.

I started by watching videos and I had the luxury or bringing two full deer home and hanging to quarter before having to field dress one.
I had the same problem field dressing. The windpipe and anus.
The only advice I can offer is it sucks to learn through mistakes. But the only way is through.
If I get a deer this season I’ll make the video you want. And it’ll be from the perspective of a guy that barely knows what he’s doing. So you can laugh and learn with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Hardly_Hangin you live in a wonderful state with a 12 deer limit. In just 19 days from now drop one and practice. Dandy Newberg has a gutless video. None of them give a POV on removing the tenderloins because that part is done by feel. If you kill one close to the truck drag it out and practice your gutless method on the tailgate so you don’t have to bend over. You’ll waste some meat the first time. That’s ok. Once you learn how to break them down it isn’t that bad. Of course if you want to get to the liver/heart you’ll have to gut.
12 deer!!! What do they do package em by the dozen? :D

Unfortunately on public land here all we can do is field dress it, the rest of the animal has to be brought out in tact. Living in an apt I'd love to be able to do the gutless method in the field and just pack out the meat. That would make things a lot easier. As is, I still use the basic gutless method when I get home to process the field dressed animal on the ground since there isn't an easy place to hang it.

One tip I guess is to try and get your deer in the morning for the first couple so there's no rush to get it done quickly. Trying something new at night would suck. And maybe watch other deer processing videos that aren't just gutless methods. Seeing the animal from different views and techniques may help fill in the voids.

12 deer!!! What do they do package em by the dozen? :D
Sheeeeeit. Im allowed unlimited does everyday. Come to MD if you need to stock up. Public land has enough alone that we end up donating alot of meat to the homeless shelters. The buck to doe ratio isnt ideal but if you like meat find an area that doesnt look like a "huntin town" (soccer moms and their SUV's instead of pickups witb browning logos) and clean em up!

I missed this comment the first time through. These vids may or may not help, they're two different techniques but both slow and methodical in how they demonstrate what they're doing.

Carry a filet knife for the butthole until you get the hang of it. A VERY sharp knife is your friend here. Cut a ring around the bung getting the knife as far in as you can. When you’ve cut completely around it you can clean up any connective tissue that remains. When cleanly severed it will all come out nicely with the guts.

For the windpipe: I only open the guts from the solar plexus back. I’ve seen a lot of folks that split the ribs as far up as they can, but I don’t see the need. After making the cut to open it up you only have the area behind the diaphragm exposed. Pull the stomach, liver, intestines, bladder and kidneys out now. Then cut the diaphragm all the away around and get the lungs and heart out of the way as best you can. At this time run your hand up as far as you can get it, grab onto the windpipe and raise it up. Pull it tight and reach up with your other hand and cut it free. Pull all that out.

I recommend a short blade knife for this so you don’t cut yourself. Just take your time, he ain’t going nowhere.

I missed this comment the first time through. These vids may or may not help, they're two different techniques but both slow and methodical in how they demonstrate what they're doing.

that second video, the one with the older gentleman, was the first really good and all inclusive deer cleaning video that I watched when I got started on doing my own processing.

Back