• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Practice shooting at height

207bowhunter

SH Member
I now have a new jx3 , and now picked up a trophyline covert. I've been making practice climbs with the jx3 havent tried the covert as of yet.
My question is during my next phase im gonna introduce shooting, do you folks practice at hunting height or is being in te saddle set up as good?

Practice at height. You will learn more.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Definitely practice at height. I'm doing the same for practice and exercise. I'm going to climb and shoot from a tree 2-3 times a week.

At height because it will force you to think about the little movements to navigate around the tree slowly and quietly.

I did both, practice drawing and shooting all the angles a few feet up for ease then I went higher and did realistic reps. Practice on different trees with different branches in your way to know what you can and cant shoot around.

If you can, mount a 3-D deer target on wheels and roll it around the tree for many different shot angles.
Ask your wife nicely, and take her out after, she " helps" by retrieving arrows and moving the target to different shot angles.
Most of the time I get a positive response, very important to get to your hunting height.

If you can, mount a 3-D deer target on wheels and roll it around the tree for many different shot angles.
Ask your wife nicely, and take her out after, she " helps" by retrieving arrows and moving the target to different shot angles.
Most of the time I get a positive response, very important to get to your hunting height.
I'll need to buy my wife a bow so she can shoot those arrows up to me cause there ain't no way in hell she's climbing 20 feet up a tree .

Thanks for the great responses, i will put tem to good use. I could use the practice with climbing and using my pull up rope

You want to shoot at height with the gear you're going to be hunting with.

The first time I practiced from height with my saddle, I was consistently hitting left. Shoot from the ground and dead on. I figured out that I wasn't anchoring my draw as tightly to my face in the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I rehearse everything about the hunt in the backyard from setting up to using different trees to pulling up my gear/bow and then shooting. My wife is nice enough to load the quiver once when she is home. Otherwise I'm back down and up again. This was huge for confidence at height.
I did this with just one stick height in the beginning. This was the gamechanger for me early on.

As far as your arrow flight is concerned there is NO difference between shooting at hunting hight from a hang on vs a saddle and I hope no responsible bow hunter would ever consider bowhunting from any elevated system without first shooting enough at hunting height from whatever elevated system they use to confirm his POA is the same as his arrows POI.
MY 40+years experience shooting bows has proven to me beyond doubt the form I use shooting on flat level ground is almost ALWAYS very different from a stand 15-20' above ground.

Back