• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pre season broad head flight

Lowg08

Season is right around the corner. How is broadhead tuning and flight going for each of y’all. We just wrapped up my boys and mine. I am super impressed with slick trick grizztricks and Magnus buzz cut stinger. Didn’t have to adjust my boys bow with the stingers nor did I have to adjust mine with the grizztricks. I did have to move mine a tick left to center my field tips up. Mine have the tape measure and my boy has my nephew sitting on it. His is out of a tree stand. So how is everyone else making it. 4BFC4354-C1D5-46D4-A2F5-8F87B4AA2F62.jpeg2E53CAF3-AB42-4D20-B3C8-FFC664129D8B.jpeg3C6E4968-5929-4360-B4F0-4763398C6DB7.jpeg

I'll sling a couple tomorrow. Shot great with field points for the first 10-15 today. Wheels came off after that lol

My plan this week is to finish my set up. New string and have probably shot 300 arrows threw paper. Tried a few different arrow setups. Going with the black eagle rampage (even though I'm not a huge fan of half out inserts) with aae 23s for vanes in 4 fletch. Those smaller vanes are so quiet and plenty of steering for mechanical broadheads. So far mechanicals hit the same at 50. Will try some fixed blades this week for ****s and giggles but I'm a mechanical guy. The broadheads u can lock shut and use for practice are great options. Whatever your process is please shoot your broadheads guys.

My plan this week is to finish my set up. New string and have probably shot 300 arrows threw paper. Tried a few different arrow setups. Going with the black eagle rampage (even though I'm not a huge fan of half out inserts) with aae 23s for vanes in 4 fletch. Those smaller vanes are so quiet and plenty of steering for mechanical broadheads. So far mechanicals hit the same at 50. Will try some fixed blades this week for ****s and giggles but I'm a mechanical guy. The broadheads u can lock shut and use for practice are great options. Whatever your process is please shoot your broadheads guys.
I’m almost positive you can use the inserts for the Easton axis on those and not have the half out.

I’m almost positive you can use the inserts for the Easton axis on those and not have the half out.
Yes. The 4mm hit deep six inserts will fit. Can even get the brass and it can be 50 or 75 or standard steel

Mine shoot great out to 30 but I gotta step back a little further too,not that I will shoot at a deer further than that.

What target is this?

matrix M2, it’s pricey up front but the cells are moveable and replaceable, this way I’m always shooting at the center. To top corner was in the center last year, it’s taken over 500 shots between broadheads and field points. It’s still not quite done yet but I wanted a fresh dot to aim at.

also I usually take one cell with me to camp just to verify nothing got bumped along the ride

About 25 yards, right on an inch apart. Victory rip xv 125gr FP, 125 Helix broadhead. I was shooting much better yesterday ... Top @10 bottom @30, shot 10-30-10-30

Attachments

• IMG_20220814_131713_01.jpg
    IMG_20220814_131713_01.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220813_161120_01.jpg
    IMG_20220813_161120_01.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 14
I shot 1 125gr single bevel Iron Will and a field point at 20,30,40 and 50. Needed to make no adjustments.

I ready to get in a tree!!!

I always want my arrow coming off and flying true in a straight line. Paper shows this or if u can get good enough slow mo video. In the past I've tuned till my fixed broadhead hits with my field point at 50 yards. Sounds good right? Actually my bow had to be out of tune for this to happen. Meaning the arrow is not coming out straight. If your big fixed heads are hitting with your field tips at this range this is probably the case. If the arrow is not flying true u will lose the straight forward energy and arrows can be impacting at a little bit of an angle at close range (hunting distance) until the vanes correct it enough. Broadheads do not fly like field tips because of the extra drag. Big vanes help correct this faster and is the reason most hunters use them for a more forgiving set up. Sorry for rambling. My 2 cents

I always want my arrow coming off and flying true in a straight line. Paper shows this or if u can get good enough slow mo video. In the past I've tuned till my fixed broadhead hits with my field point at 50 yards. Sounds good right? Actually my bow had to be out of tune for this to happen. Meaning the arrow is not coming out straight. If your big fixed heads are hitting with your field tips at this range this is probably the case. If the arrow is not flying true u will lose the straight forward energy and arrows can be impacting at a little bit of an angle at close range (hunting distance) until the vanes correct it enough. Broadheads do not fly like field tips because of the extra drag. Big vanes help correct this faster and is the reason most hunters use them for a more forgiving set up. Sorry for rambling. My 2 cents
I actually think paper tuning is pointless myself. Unless your shooting paper at 20-30 yards. I have stopped about 2 years ago. A good broadhead tune is better in my opinion. Now to say that. I set up with a center shot as a starting place. I use the head to sight in 20 and the rest if needed at 60. I’ve not found any loss of energy. At 60 I’m getting 11.5” of penetration on a rhinehart 18-1 and 14 with my broadhead on the 18-1. I’ve not lost any fps. With that said. I shoot low pro four fletch on hunting set up and 3” feathers on 3d. I also set mine up to spin against the grain. I put a 2* right helical on both. So I’m getting half the spin. I don’t have any wonky flight at all. Just me though.
I was asked this question. If I can’t shoot the same weight arrows together no matter the head is my bow really in tune?

Back