• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Predator First Impression

ricky racer

I received my new Predator today and just had to try it out. I put it in a tree in our yard.

First, the Predator is truly light weight.!! I'll need to snug up the pivot bolt so the platform doesn't fall down to the stop bolt. No problem providing it doesn't put stress on the ears that the bolt passes through. If it looks like it my induce stress in the cast ears I may have to disassemble it and add a nylon washer or two. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Stepping onto the Predator I was surprised at the amount of flex in it. Probably not a problem but it will take a bit to get used to and a bit longer to trust that it won't break. I'm still leary of cast aluminum...

The upper bat wing pulled away from the tree even after several resets. I think if the versa button was moved up another inch or so it would have reduced it from pulling away.

When I removed the stand from the tree, the tail of the spring on the buckle dug into the strap and took some fiddling with to get it unsnagged from the strap. In the second picture I'm pointing at the spring tail. I think the buckle needs to be positioned on the right side of the post so the strap is pulled against the side of the buckle opposite of the spring so it doesn't snag the strap like mine did. In the last picture you can see the snag the spring created.

Other than those few concerns the platform just needs a good deburring to get rid of the sharp edges and and some time spent in it to build confidence in it.:cool:

20180817_161023.jpg
20180817_161247.jpg
20180817_164609.jpg

I like it. Good, honest review. I'm going to shoot out of mine this weekend and maybe go sit on a gas line to do some glassing. We'll see if it edges out my ameristeps as my go-to.

Thanks for the review. I’m really surprised about it pulling away from the tree. You’d think they’d take care of that with field testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received my new Predator today and just had to try it out. I put it in a tree in our yard.

First, the Predator is truly light weight.!! I'll need to snug up the pivot bolt so the platform doesn't fall down to the stop bolt. No problem providing it doesn't put stress on the ears that the bolt passes through. If it looks like it my induce stress in the cast ears I may have to disassemble it and add a nylon washer or two. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Stepping onto the Predator I was surprised at the amount of flex in it. Probably not a problem but it will take a bit to get used to and a bit longer to trust that it won't break. I'm still leary of cast aluminum...

The upper bat wing pulled away from the tree even after several resets. I think if the versa button was moved up another inch or so it would have reduced it from pulling away.

When I removed the stand from the tree, the tail of the spring on the buckle dug into the strap and took some fiddling with to get it unsnagged from the strap. In the second picture I'm pointing at the spring tail. I think the buckle needs to be positioned on the right side of the post so the strap is pulled against the side of the buckle opposite of the spring so it doesn't snag the strap like mine did. In the last picture you can see the snag the spring created.

Other than those few concerns the platform just needs a good deburring to get rid of the sharp edges and and some time spent in it to build confidence in it.:cool:

View attachment 5611
View attachment 5612
View attachment 5614
Did you try setting it up with the platform folded, pull the strap tight, slide the whole thing down as far as you can(maybe even step on the top), then open the platform and step on. This should make it super tight and not pull away at the top.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Are you standing on the post when cam locking? It shouldn't pull away

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review. I’m really surprised about it pulling away from the tree. You’d think they’d take care of that with field testing.

I've seen a couple of pics of folks standing on them without the top bracket pulling away. As a stepp guy, sometimes operator error happens. We'll find out as folks continue to get theirs.

Did you try setting it up with the platform folded, pull the strap tight, slide the whole thing down as far as you can(maybe even step on the top), then open the platform and step on. This should make it super tight and not pull away at the top.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Ya beat me to it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

To get it right you want it folded flat and tighten the strap as tight as you can get it. Fold it down and get on it, then stand on the top of the post with one foot and pick the platform up with you opposite toe. It should slide down the tree an inch or two and when cammed back over be rock solid. I’ll try to make a video on it.

I'm a lightweight 215 lbs . Mine didn't pull away. I pulled it tight .Cammed it down & then stepped up on platform ...And then slung some arrows.

You are a lightweight. I'm 250 and thinking the Predator was designed for lightweights. LOL!!
I'll need more time with it to determine if the Predator is for me or not.
I installed it according to the supplied directions and from watching Jared in the Tethrd video.

Last edited:
To get it right you want it folded flat and tighten the strap as tight as you can get it. Fold it down and get on it, then stand on the top of the post with one foot and pick the platform up with you opposite toe. It should slide down the tree an inch or two and when cammed back over be rock solid. I’ll try to make a video on it.

Might want to think twice about that one. More to follow.View attachment 5621View attachment 5621

Ernie's sending out a new one and is going to inspect this one to try and figure out what happened.

Back