• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

prepping trees

martian

if you are hunting w/ sticks and saddle , what does prepping
involve? is anyone actually hanging sticks all over the place?

Certain places I hunt I may leave sticks. But I think most that prep trees are pruning lanes or using screw in steps, that kinda thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On private land I place Cranford screw in steps, bow hanger, cut shooting lanes, etc... Just bought a set of bolts and will give them a test run soon. On public land (in PA) I'm leaving my top 4 WE steps (removing the bottom Stepp) on trees that are in good locations and that I would want to hunt multiple times. I use a 4-step aider so 5 WE steps is the most I'll need.

I have gotten pretty use to doing 0 prep. Once in awhile I will have to trim something minor to get into the tree, or something that hits my back and will make noise.

I hunt 100% public land so I don't leave anything behind. This is what I do post season. Prepping trees for me consists of:

-Clearing a climbing lane up a tree that can accommodate sticks or screw in steps. This mainly applies to heavily limbed trees like cedars. I say "lane" because I don't cut anything I don't have to. I keep all the cover I can for myself and my sticks.

- At hunting height, I saw off loud bark if it's a thick bark tree like a pine and I also saw anything that will prohibit me from shooting at my target areas. At height, I take note of what needs to be cleared on the ground for shooting lanes.

- On the ground I cut shooting lanes to my target areas.

When doing all this I try not to over clear, damage, or disrupt anything I don't have to. This helps ensure that deer still feel safe there and keeps other hunters from finding and hunting my spots. Most of the time I don't even tack the trees and when possible I prep the tree on what I consider the back side of it to keep a low profile from other hunters.

One of my primary reasons for going to a saddle was to use a single climbing system. My preferred system consist of bolts and Tree hopper but will use light weight sticks, only in areas I have to. I don't mind a hang and hunt for an evening hunt but going in in the dark and going up a tree around here you may see deer but good luck getting a shot. I prefer to have a tree prepped by drilling and trimming out a few holes to shoot. I try to keep all my trimming minimal and retain as much cover as possible but if you can't shoot when he's in range why are you there. I drop a cheep para cord pull rope if its a tree I think I will hunt more that once if not I just use the one stowed in my pack. The climbing is a tad slower having to install the bolts on the way up. But is better than leaving the bolts or sticks installed in a tree that didn't work out and don't have to go back and pull it to bounce to another spot. Plus I don't have hundreds of dollars tied up in climbing gear in each tree one is all I need.

Back