• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

preseason scouting and some confusion

Schemeecho

Ok, as most of you know. I'm still new to hunting. With about 6 years now under my belt. While I have learned some things about finding the deer, my knowledge has yet to be tested. I have learned how to look at maps as a starting point for scouting. I know that boots on the ground is how you find deer. So with that being said, my confusion is this. Post season scouting I understand. However, preseason scouting not so much. Spring time and summer time things are so different. Deer habits change throughout the season so fast. So what can I really get out of preseason scouting? Other then locating potential food sources for early season, bedding, travel routes and potential tree locations, what else can I learn? I know I'll be able to picture what the woods look like before everything changes colors and the the leaves start to fall. So I was thinking I would take preseason scouting to another level. While I'm out there scouting I plan on taking my saddle for some afternoon to evening sits just to watch and see if i can observe some deer movement. Maybe even give me a chance to see how they react to me and if I noticeable. test some scent control, playing the wind and testing thermals. But what food sources do I look for in preseason? Keep in mind that I hunt public land which is big woods with no ag fields around where I hunt. Am I just over thinking things as I often do and make things more complicated?

You need to read Warrens thread that is pinned up above this one about his style of hunting. Not familiar with hunting SC so cant speak specifically to mast crops there. Here in AR I hunt in the far north part of the state in rolling hill country and in the SE part of the state in big river bottoms. Up north early season mast is generally focusing on the hottest white oak acorns and maybe persimmons followed by red oaks. Down south, Swamp Chestnut and Nutall oaks, persimmon and honey locust are the primary early season mast crops to scout for followed by overcup acorns and wild pecans as season progresses. Down south when the mast crops are mostly played out the deer will transition back to green browse and dewberry is a real good one.

You could get out from now til season and be learning what tree species and mast crops there are in the area you are hunting. Gaining knowledge on tree and plant identification will help make you a better hunter. Understanding what mast in your area falls first and and the general sequence of mast drop as well as deer preference will help guide you on staying on the freshest feeding patterns.

Big thing is knowing what things change, when they change and what doesn't change and what is going on when you'll be hunting. It's really no different than any other animal. Fishing is the same. Even more important for trapping. Understanding the life cycle of the animals is the biggest obstacle to overcome first. Then you can tailor things to account for regional differences and for individual animal quirks if your chasing a specific animal.

Last edited:
You are in SC? Not much changes between July and our September archery opening. All the leaves are still on the trees, its still balls hot, the deer are still hitting adjacent ag fields. Preseason scouting should tell you a lot about what's going on in early season here if you are hunting archery season

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Ok, as most of you know. I'm still new to hunting. With about 6 years now under my belt. While I have learned some things about finding the deer, my knowledge has yet to be tested. I have learned how to look at maps as a starting point for scouting. I know that boots on the ground is how you find deer. So with that being said, my confusion is this. Post season scouting I understand. However, preseason scouting not so much. Spring time and summer time things are so different. Deer habits change throughout the season so fast. So what can I really get out of preseason scouting? Other then locating potential food sources for early season, bedding, travel routes and potential tree locations, what else can I learn? I know I'll be able to picture what the woods look like before everything changes colors and the the leaves start to fall. So I was thinking I would take preseason scouting to another level. While I'm out there scouting I plan on taking my saddle for some afternoon to evening sits just to watch and see if i can observe some deer movement. Maybe even give me a chance to see how they react to me and if I noticeable. test some scent control, playing the wind and testing thermals. But what food sources do I look for in preseason? Keep in mind that I hunt public land which is big woods with no ag fields around where I hunt. Am I just over thinking things as I often do and make things more complicated?

I like your idea of just doing some observation sits. Anything that grows your woodsmanship skills is positive.I feel like you'd learn a ton about deer behavior and maybe how they are using that area (or not using it which is just a valuable). Just make sure you don't bring a weapon with you!

I don't think you can overscout at least when you are starting out. Thats the beauty of post season scouting. you can totally blow out an area and walk all over the place and since you have 9 months till next deer season it's cool! my goal is to just hike until I bump deer. then start breaking down that area. why are they bedded there, etc. Pre-season scouting is not quite as forgiving depending on how close to season you are out there. I usually put some cameras out in July and then call it quits until September season comes in. As I've grown as a hunter, I pre season scout less and less. They are very predictable at that time and since my season doesn't open till last week of September, they are already changing patterns by the time I can arrow one.

Here is my take on scouting priority:
1. in-season scouting is the most important cuz you are getting real time info that affects your hunt that day. Once I changed my in season tactics to scouting 70% of the time and only hunting 30%, my success went way up. before I'd just set up where my pre season scouting told me that deer were and then I'd be bummed when I didn't see any deer.
2. post season- these are the patterns deer are on most of your hunting season (unless your one of those states that open super early)
3. pre-season- still important to be out there when you are learning a new area and learning your woodsmanship skills. this becomes less important once your are knowledgeable of a specific area and how deer use it.

Sorry for th ramble. I just wish someone had told me all this on day 1!

You need to read Warrens thread that is pinned up above this one about his style of hunting. Not familiar with hunting SC so cant speak specifically to mast crops there. Here in AR I hunt in the far north part of the state in rolling hill country and in the SE part of the state in big river bottoms. Up north early season mast is generally focusing on the hottest white oak acorns and maybe persimmons followed by red oaks. Down south, Swamp Chestnut and Nutall oaks, persimmon and honey locust are the primary early season mast crops to scout for followed by overcup acorns and wild pecans as season progresses. Down south when the mast crops are mostly played out the deer will transition back to green browse and dewberry is a real good one.

You could get out from now til season and be learning what tree species and mast crops there are in the area you are hunting. Gaining knowledge on tree and plant identification will help make you a better hunter. Understanding what mast in your area falls first and and the general sequence of mast drop as well as deer preference will help guide you on staying on the freshest feeding patterns.
Getting out now to learn some about the mast and browse and tree species is a real good idea. while doing that i cam mark the locations of white oaks red oaks and monitor them to see which ones are producing when the time is right.

You are in SC? Not much changes between July and our September archery opening. All the leaves are still on the trees, its still balls hot, the deer are still hitting adjacent ag fields. Preseason scouting should tell you a lot about what's going on in early season here if you are hunting archery season

Yes I'm in SC. will be hunting the Newberry and Lexington county and Batesburg Leesville area. the places that I hunt has no Ag fields so I am going to have to rely on other food sources. No Im not hunting bow seaosn this year. That will have to wait until next year after I buy a new bow.

I like your idea of just doing some observation sits. Anything that grows your woodsmanship skills is positive.I feel like you'd learn a ton about deer behavior and maybe how they are using that area (or not using it which is just a valuable). Just make sure you don't bring a weapon with you!

I don't think you can overscout at least when you are starting out. Thats the beauty of post season scouting. you can totally blow out an area and walk all over the place and since you have 9 months till next deer season it's cool! my goal is to just hike until I bump deer. then start breaking down that area. why are they bedded there, etc. Pre-season scouting is not quite as forgiving depending on how close to season you are out there. I usually put some cameras out in July and then call it quits until September season comes in. As I've grown as a hunter, I pre season scout less and less. They are very predictable at that time and since my season doesn't open till last week of September, they are already changing patterns by the time I can arrow one.

Here is my take on scouting priority:
1. in-season scouting is the most important cuz you are getting real time info that affects your hunt that day. Once I changed my in season tactics to scouting 70% of the time and only hunting 30%, my success went way up. before I'd just set up where my pre season scouting told me that deer were and then I'd be bummed when I didn't see any deer.
2. post season- these are the patterns deer are on most of your hunting season (unless your one of those states that open super early)
3. pre-season- still important to be out there when you are learning a new area and learning your woodsmanship skills. this becomes less important once your are knowledgeable of a specific area and how deer use it.

Sorry for th ramble. I just wish someone had told me all this on day 1!
No need to be sorry, I totally get it. I welcome the advice since I'm still new and haven" dropped anything yet. I fully expect that the deer may not be where I think they should be during pre season. Thats just a way for me to learn the area better and maybe see how they move if I'm lucky. Now as far as the scouting when it gets closer to hunting time maybe I can hone in on some key bedding and feeding spots to decide where is best to hunt mornings and evenings. When rut sets in i plan on doing some all day sits. I still plan on jumping deer when I hunt since that has happened a lot last season. The only difference this year will be I still plan on hunting longer instead thinking I blew my hunt and just leave. And if i do jump them and still nothing returns that day I plan on scouting while I'm out there and see if I can figure out what I missed and adjust my tactics for another hunt. I think this year will be the year that I put some meat in the freezer. Every year I seem to get closer So I know I am learning more3 every time I go out. Besides, I'm not a trophy hunter it's not all about the rack. I'll take a big Buck if I can find one but a Doe or smaller Buck works for me too. If it's brown it's down this year

No need to be sorry, I totally get it. I welcome the advice since I'm still new and haven" dropped anything yet. I fully expect that the deer may not be where I think they should be during pre season. Thats just a way for me to learn the area better and maybe see how they move if I'm lucky. Now as far as the scouting when it gets closer to hunting time maybe I can hone in on some key bedding and feeding spots to decide where is best to hunt mornings and evenings. When rut sets in i plan on doing some all day sits. I still plan on jumping deer when I hunt since that has happened a lot last season. The only difference this year will be I still plan on hunting longer instead thinking I blew my hunt and just leave. And if i do jump them and still nothing returns that day I plan on scouting while I'm out there and see if I can figure out what I missed and adjust my tactics for another hunt. I think this year will be the year that I put some meat in the freezer. Every year I seem to get closer So I know I am learning more3 every time I go out. Besides, I'm not a trophy hunter it's not all about the rack. I'll take a big Buck if I can find one but a Doe or smaller Buck works for me too. If it's brown it's down this year
If you were jumping deer a lot last season then your'e definitely in the right spots! SOOOO many of the times I've jumped deer; they come back right before dark to inspect. Their curiosity literally kills them.

If you were jumping deer a lot last season then your'e definitely in the right spots! SOOOO many of the times I've jumped deer; they come back right before dark to inspect. Their curiosity literally kills them.
Deer almost always circle back. That's how coyotes kill deer. They just keep chasing them and when they get tired, the next coyote chases it until the deer's heart explodes.

When I first started bowhunting I used to still hunt a lot and I learned to "back and button hook" in known deer bedding areas (thick) to get multiple shots on deer. I would still hunt until I smelled them usually first, then saw them soon after. Wind usually in my face or cross wind. I usually ended up spooking them at least once before getting a shot off with my bow. I would then back off about 50 to 75 yards and then button hook about 25 to 35 yards towards the way they ran. I would usually intercept them trying to circle downwind of me and be able to get another shot opportunity. This was especially productive during the rut for bucks as the does had to pay attention to both the bucks chasing them and me chasing them and they would usually bring some bucks by. Fun hunting but fast paced. I always thought I was at a disadvantage though because I wasn't hunting out of a stand as all the "experts" said you were supposed to do. It was fun hunting but don't expect to do that every day in the same spot. I would let it rest for three days or so but they got tougher too. The best was early November with some light snowflakes falling, the bucks were running crazy.... action all day. Its hard to draw on a buck though at close range. I learned to draw when I first saw them but still about 30-50% effective. Get to a known bedding area about 150 yards and start your one step, wait. smell look and listen glass. I had a small set of opera glasses (tiny little binocs) that fit right in my hand and I would look around with them at a spot that I may have thought was part of the deer. Usually an ear or tail flicker gave them away most of the time. Sometimes I'd spot an antler. You can smell the deer a lot with the wind in your face going slow.

When I first started bowhunting I used to still hunt a lot and I learned to "back and button hook" in known deer bedding areas (thick) to get multiple shots on deer. I would still hunt until I smelled them usually first, then saw them soon after. Wind usually in my face or cross wind. I usually ended up spooking them at least once before getting a shot off with my bow. I would then back off about 50 to 75 yards and then button hook about 25 to 35 yards towards the way they ran. I would usually intercept them trying to circle downwind of me and be able to get another shot opportunity. This was especially productive during the rut for bucks as the does had to pay attention to both the bucks chasing them and me chasing them and they would usually bring some bucks by. Fun hunting but fast paced. I always thought I was at a disadvantage though because I wasn't hunting out of a stand as all the "experts" said you were supposed to do. It was fun hunting but don't expect to do that every day in the same spot. I would let it rest for three days or so but they got tougher too. The best was early November with some light snowflakes falling, the bucks were running crazy.... action all day. Its hard to draw on a buck though at close range. I learned to draw when I first saw them but still about 30-50% effective. Get to a known bedding area about 150 yards and start your one step, wait. smell look and listen glass. I had a small set of opera glasses (tiny little binocs) that fit right in my hand and I would look around with them at a spot that I may have thought was part of the deer. Usually an ear or tail flicker gave them away most of the time. Sometimes I'd spot an antler. You can smell the deer a lot with the wind in your face going slow.
That's a great point! I often smell deer right before I bump them if the winds right. I love it when I smell that musk!

I have never noticed a deers smell. what does it smell like and how will i know if its a deer
probably impossible to describe to you. You will very likely have to figure it out once you kill your first or if you help someone pack or drag one out etc. If you REALLY wanna know you could go to a processor and take a whiff. Once you smell one though, you'll recognize it always.

Yes I'm in SC. will be hunting the Newberry and Lexington county and Batesburg Leesville area. the places that I hunt has no Ag fields so I am going to have to rely on other food sources. No Im not hunting bow seaosn this year. That will have to wait until next year after I buy a new bow.
I understand. Well if you get permission on private you can hunt bucks only starting some time in August in at least part of the are you are talking about. Even with a rifle. If you are limited to public then yeah you'll be waiting until fall. I have even less experience than you, so I don't think I have any more advice for you.

You’re going to learn something every time you go in the woods. How much you know, what type of shape you’re in, what type of terrain you hunt, what hunting goals you have, the type of learning that best suits you, weather, and many other factors will determine how effective and efficient any scouting will be. The key seems to be being honest with yourself about what you actually accomplished while scouting, what it cost you to do it (time, money, and the lost opportunity to do something else), and if that math makes sense.

personally I don’t get enough value out of off season scouting, that’s not right before or after season, to make it worth doing. Your mileage may very. I would spend an hour or two really thinking about the above math before I did or didn’t spend a pile of time scouting.

probably impossible to describe to you. You will very likely have to figure it out once you kill your first or if you help someone pack or drag one out etc. If you REALLY wanna know you could go to a processor and take a whiff. Once you smell one though, you'll recognize it always.

To me, deer smell like dirty socks crossed with wet dog

Back