• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Preventing tether slide

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Since we were stuck inside all day Sunday because of the tropical storm, I started fooling with saddle stuff and I think I came up with an idea to keep the tether from sliding down the tree.
For some of us, its either not legal or undesirable to screw anything into a tree. I made a little bungie gizmo and although I haven't hung or hunted with it, it seemed to work on a tree on the yard.
This post is a little long and hard to explain, but I'll do the best I can.
I'm finding more and more uses for small diameter bungie cord. I bought a 100 foot roll and have been using the crap out of the stuff. In conjunction with the shock cord, I use tiny wire ties for cord locks and it works WAY better than the standard cord locks that are sold. The trick to using wire ties is finding the perfect amount of how tight to snug them. Too loose and they won't hold. Too tight and they won't slide to adjust. When the bungie is stretched, the diameter decreases so the wire tie can be slid to adjust the cord. But when tension is removed from the cord, it resumes its normal diameter and the wire tie holds tighter than any store-bought cord lock. The key of this is finding the proper wire tie tension.
So, back to my tether gizmo...
I took a 12 inch piece of shock cord and doubled 2 wire ties TIGHTLY at the very end to make a cord loop. Next, I took another wire tie and wrapped it around the cord. Slip the thing over the tether loop almost down to the knot. Thread the tether around the tree as you normally do, then slide the bungie gizmo up the loop and tight against the tether rope, essentially now making the loop as small as the rope diameter. At this point, the tether is snug but not quite enough. So take the tag end of the bungie (the end with the double wire ties), go under the vertical tether, and stretch it to and over the tether knot. It tightens the tether to the tree nicely. As I said, hard to describe but maybe these pics will say 1,000 words.

Steps 1, 2, and 3. Tether is now tight and doesn't slide down the tree and no screws.
ba1c25322d6e8ead04551f155b3734b5.jpg
0950a81c6123dfcef81dec533569711d.jpg
e2215d76ddf297604c0fc1a4e452af7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah, a castration band works well for keeping a spliced eye snug on whatever is running through it. I use them on long splices with carabiners clipped in. It prevents dangerous sideloading of the biner when slack is introduced into the system. However, this is a very creative solution. I love the ingenuity. Keep it up!

I'm sure there are a few other ways of how to wrap the bungie. This was what I tried 1st and since it worked, I didn't try any other ways. There's a lot of guys on this site that are more creative than I am...I'm sure you'll come up with what works easiest for you, but a small loop of bungie works wonders for lots of applications.

Here's another cool shock cord invention. I bought some and then I made my own too. I substituted the cord lock with a wire tie and they work even better. These things have a hundred uses...

Last edited:
I'l be out tomorrow evening hanging to practice. I'l snap some photos

Back