• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Prospective saddle hunter from south Jersey

Pineypower609

Hey all thanks for the add , I live in and hunt primarily in south Jersey, Atlantic , Burlington and Ocean counties, recently I have started seeing more and more about saddle hunting and for some reason or another I'm drawn to it , I'm not a small man standing 6,3 and weighing 270 pounds with a size 36 waist I'm looking into putting together a setup in the near future I'm not particularly scared of heights either hunt primarily outta lock on stand that are between 25-35 feet off the ground any info or tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance folks

You got me beat size wise so I will leave the saddle suggestions to the guys of a similar size. Welcome from Maine btw. Saddle hunting drew me in as well and I haven't looked back since.

My only suggestion would be do a ton of research on here and ask questions, these guys will lead you in the right direction! Great group of people!

Welcome from Massachusetts! Here's some advice.... DO IT! You won't be disappointed. I took the leap 2 seasons ago and it changed the way I hunt. I've always been able to kill deer, but with the saddle I feel like I bring the fight to them. It allows me to tactically pursue and set up on and kill all over the woods. It's lighter than tree stands, it's quieter, and it's super mobile. I used to hang a ton of stands, now I hang a couple for fast morning hunts before work. Do your due diligence but pull the trigger.

Welcome from Central Jersey brother. It’s my first season too so I have no real advice but you can learn a lot on here.

Hey all thanks for the add , I live in and hunt primarily in south Jersey, Atlantic , Burlington and Ocean counties, recently I have started seeing more and more about saddle hunting and for some reason or another I'm drawn to it , I'm not a small man standing 6,3 and weighing 270 pounds with a size 36 waist I'm looking into putting together a setup in the near future I'm not particularly scared of heights either hunt primarily outta lock on stand that are between 25-35 feet off the ground any info or tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance folks
I am a big boy myself and new to the saddle game. I ordered a Cruzr XC and a trophy line mission platform, I’ll let you know How they work out. Long time bow hunter just a bit north of you.

Welcome from Missouri! I’m about same size but closer to 40” waist. Your gonna luv it!!

Welcome! I am 6'3" and I go between 230 and 260 depending on if I'm working nights or days lol. I have a size 2 Aero Hunter Kite, and I love it. Depending on your athleticism, just pick the climbing method that you are most comfortable with. It isn't worth it putting yourself at a ton of risk to get a few extra feet, or to do what the cool kids are doing. Best of luck!!

At this point it might come down to what you can get in time to hunt. There is some lag times from some of the vendors. Unless your gonna look at the classifieds. I haven't read any where on here of someone totally ripping a saddle. The most common I have noted is hip pinch from the mantis. But at your size with a 36" waist, I'm gonna say your pretty fit? May not be an issue. As well as they seem to sell used for decent prices.
Are you currently using sticks with your stand? I would suggest some aiders if you want to get higher. Or one sticking it. Plenty of info about it. As always, check out the Map with locations or put a word out and see if anyone can show you there equipment. I bet you will find a few guys near by willing to help.

Welcome from Arkansas. I'm about 6'3, 235 or so. I bought a used Mantis from an individual here on SH, and it's fit pretty well. It was modified, but I was able to compare it to an unaltered version, and it was much more comfortable for me than the stock one. I tried the Kestrel Flex as well, and it was great. I don't have much advice, as I'm new as well, but the best I can say is see if you have some folks local that would be willing to show you the ropes and sit in a saddle to get a feel for it.

Back