• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Public land trail cameras

VanceCollins708

Does anyone else try to hide their cameras to go on public land??

92617cf8df295ca5161ff71d210ee974.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hardest thing I have found to camo and has given away more cameras than anything else. The STRAP. You can see a strap around a tree from 60 yards away.
I do like your style though!

The hardest thing I have found to camo and has given away more cameras than anything else. The STRAP. You can see a strap around a tree from 60 yards away.
I do like your style though!

I know! And these are just some wildgame innovations cameras so they don’t have a spot to screw in a mount or else I would use that

Ahhh the catch 22. Now you have a "cancer" hanging off the tree. I think I am going to start cutting a whole out of a tree with a hatch and slide the camera inside the tree, sneaky!

I use the Muddy that you can get at Academy Sports for 24.99 right now, that way if they get stolen I'm not out much. I also put them one-stick high in a tree to discourage theft.

If it’s in a place where I think it could get stolen, what I’ve done in the past is hang it as high as I can get with one stick, then I use tie wire instead of a strap. I’m talking the type of wire concrete guys use to tie rebar together. I take lineman’s pliers with me to tie it with. It’s cheap, a huge roll is only a few bucks and if you stand back 10-15 yards you don’t really notice the tie wire.

I mount my cams high tied to the tree with paracord then brush them in a bit. They blend in so well I have a hard time finding them myself most times.

I hang my cameras two sticks high and add a python lock. One stick is probably high enough but I have never had a problem. I have plenty of pics and video of people looking and pointing at them though. One has been in the same spot for 2 years on a community scrape.

Impressive camo job! I just buy cheap Tasco cams from walmart and hope for the best, but I typically only place cams where I know others likely aren't hunting/scouting.

I've heard of people using fishing line for a "strap" to hide it. I don't own any cameras so can't personally provide feedback...
It’s kind of a pain to tie but yea if you use that green braided fishing line and hang it up in a tree you will not be able to see the line. Doesn’t help a whole lot for the camera itself though.

Funny enough the one camera I hung up in the air didn’t get stolen; however, my buddy got a guy on camera walking around with a stick so if you can put it up there someone can just as easily take it down.

I just don’t get great pictures from the cameras in the tree and I get so many more pictures of nothing triggered by limbs wavy in the wind. How do y’all combat this?

I lock my cameras and if someone is going to mess with it they are going to have to break it or use wire cutters. I don’t worry about hiding them too much. The trained eye can catch about anything. Plus I don’t want my sd card checked by someone else. I check peoples card if they leave it there for me to check. Never steal anything though except some intel.

Back