• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

quartering away shot from ground, what are my chances this is fatal?

colin.704

68lb bow 35 yds quartering away, fixed blade. penetration not good. maybe 8in and 1 lung. hit maybe 2nd from last rib at 45degree angle. he didn't run far and I backed out. probably not gonna be bleeding. anybody made shots like this?

penetration not good. maybe 8in and 1 lung.
High, mid, low? 1 lung is never something I personally wanna rush. Stay optimistic. Run your sequence through in your mind. Find a female if you can, I believe they see blood better than males. My wife can find a drop of blood in the Red Sea. I have to search like a detective to find splatter on snow. Many people will have great advice on here.

High, mid, low? 1 lung is never something I personally wanna rush. Stay optimistic. Run your sequence through in your mind. Find a female if you can, I believe they see blood better than males. My wife can find a drop of blood in the Red Sea. I have to search like a detective to find splatter on snow. Many people will have great advice on here.
middle, think I caught to many ribs, arrow still in him. I got a dog thats pretty good but don't know if this will kill him

middle, think I caught to many ribs, arrow still in him. I got a dog thats pretty good but don't know if this will kill him
Don’t go in there with a dog too early. Mid is better than high IMO. It’s gunna be mental torture for you but if you can give him at least 12 hours, predators are your main concern, but it’s better than running him completely off wounded (again, IMO).

Like others said main thing to do is not rush in trying to track him, that is the worst mistake made in bow hunting recovery’s. Since you are questioning the shot, give at least 12 hours and then see what you can find. Good luck and God Bless!

How do you know you have 8 inches of penetration? Did you find the arrow or speculating based on what you saw at the time of shot?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

so he was standing as he is in the pic above. last deer I hit like this, 2yrs ago, went down in 30ft but I got good penetration. I'm worried he won't lay down with the arrow in him like that. looked like he was coughing blood, tracked for about 80yds to a pile of blood where he was standing but couldn't find any past that so I marked it with a chemlight and tacks and came home to give him time and get my dog. there is a large pack of yotes in this area that I'm sure will kill him tonight if he's not already dead or strip him if he is but not much I can do but go out there early morning and start looking again.
How do you know you have 8 inches of penetration? Did you find the arrow or speculating based on what you saw at the time of shot?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I shoot VAP arrows and they have white paint on them at about 10inches.

1/4 away is your best shot angle. Arrow travel is going towards critical vitals such as heart, lungs and major vessels.

Unless you know you were way back, you're hitting lungs and vessels. Stating that he was blowing blood means you got arteries, possibly a major vessel.

Like all things, resist the urge to go in too quick but there's no reason to assume he isn't dead within 30 minutes.

Quartering away can be deadly if shot placement is good. If the arrow is still in him, that broad head is likely still cutting as he moves. He will likely pull it out or break it off. My preference would have been to back out after you saw the shot placement, let him go lay down and come back in the morning to track him. Since you tracked him 80 yards, you may have been pushing him. You found a pile of blood, so he likely temporarily stopped or laid down. You may have jumped him and he could have bounded several feet before blood starts to flow again. So be slow and super diligent looking for blood. It’s hard not to get anxious and search ahead to far and too fast. Be methodical and let the blood take you to him. Based on your description, he’s bleeding good. Hopefully you find him dead. Even waiting overnight, its a good idea to proceed slowly and quietly. You may find him alive and bump him. It is agonizing knowing you wounded a deer you are after. It can eat at you. But there is a good chance he will expire. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

this is where I think I hit. I can't believe that a 444grain arrow @68lbs didn't bury to his front leg at least.
where I hit.jpg

Quartering away can be deadly if shot placement is good. If the arrow is still in him, that broad head is likely still cutting as he moves. He will likely pull it out or break it off. My preference would have been to back out after you saw the shot placement, let him go lay down and come back in the morning to track him. Since you tracked him 80 yards, you may have been pushing him. You found a pile of blood, so he likely temporarily stopped or laid down. You may have jumped him and he could have bounded several feet before blood starts to flow again. So be slow and super diligent looking for blood. It’s hard not to get anxious and search ahead to far and too fast. Be methodical and let the blood take you to him. Based on your description, he’s bleeding good. Hopefully you find him dead. Even waiting overnight, its a good idea to proceed slowly and quietly. You may find him alive and bump him. It is agonizing knowing you wounded a deer you are after. It can eat at you. But there is a good chance he will expire. Good luck and let us know the outcome.
he's been hit by a car before and his back right leg is messed up (I call him tripod) I think if he is still alive the yotes will kill him tonight, hopefully quickly. luckily I am off tomorrow and can do a proper search

Back