• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question on judo points (small game)

Red Beard

SH Member
Really want an air rifle to harvest small game in the future. However, I'm too poor for that at the moment. While I'm selling stuff and saving up, I started thinking about the feasibly of harvesting small game with judo points or something similar.

Having never used small game heads (judo points or bludgeons), I'd like to get some input on how they perform. I've read good things about the VPA Small Game Thumper and regular wire judos. Guess my biggest concern would be busting up the carbon shaft arrows I worked so hard to build this year. For reference, I'm shooting a 605gr TAW (150gr tip) arrow right at 250fps.

The below shots were from 16yds with an EZV.
20201209_155722.jpg

I like the generic wire judo points...the wires catch the grass well on misses and typically kicks the rear of the arrow up in the air

I've shot everything from birds to squirrels to rabbits with standard judo points. I keep one in my quiver that I shoot into the ground or a stump almost every sit before I climb down. Never had a problem with busting up my carbon arrow but I'm shooting a 550 gr arrow out of a recurve at 175 fps.

Judo points work great. I don't reccomend field points as a non lethal hit can result in lost arrow. Also sacrificing 1 fixed blade works fine for a few shots.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Judo points work great. I don't reccomend field points as a non lethal hit can result in lost arrow. Also sacrificing 1 fixed blade works fine for a few shots.

I’ll second this, lost one of my logs this year in a squirrel that wouldn’t go away. He ended up running away with my $30 740 grain arrow buried in him. Never recovered the arrow, lol.

Thanks for the input yall!

I assume everyone suggesting a judo point is talking about the blunt tip ones surrounded by wire and not the ones that look like they have a trocar tip surrounded by wire. Do yall have a brand recommendation or are Chinese ones off Amazon ok? Also, if I go with judos, is there an easy way to bump up tip weight so that I can achieve 150gr like my field tips? Seems most of them sold are 100gr.

Seen this on Archerytalk a few years back.

Take a insert with you to the hardware store. Find Allen head bolts with the correct thread.

Now get wing nuts to thread on the bolt first.

They are deadly and won’t bury in the ground.

We have had good success with just drilling a hole through a field point and gluing a piece of finishing nail in. Poor mans Judo.
Seen this on Archerytalk a few years back.

Take a insert with you to the hardware store. Find Allen head bolts with the correct thread.

Now get wing nuts to thread on the bolt first.

They are deadly and won’t bury in the ground.
Yall got pictures of this?

Ive used the regular cheapo judos, the G5 small game head, and the rubber blunt tips. My favorite are the G5s, they WRECK small game, but they are pricey to buy and shoot. Also, I keep dedicated old squirrel arrows as I always end up losing or breaking my expensive deer arrows shooting at small game while the old spares stay around for years and seem impervious to breakage as they are so much lighter than my 670 grain big game arrows. You just have to know where el cheapos will group relative to your main arrows

I assume everyone suggesting a judo point is talking about the blunt tip ones surrounded by wire and not the ones that look like they have a trocar tip surrounded by wire. Do yall have a brand recommendation or are Chinese ones off Amazon ok? Also, if I go with judos, is there an easy way to bump up tip weight so that I can achieve 150gr like my field tips? Seems most of them sold are 100gr.
Blunt works, trocar works too. Transfer of force should be lethal either way. I have the cheapest ones you can buy on Amazon. Killed a few squirrels.

Also I have heard of people adding a washer behind a field point, but for me they flew inconsistently and still zipped straight through anything I shot them at

Here is what I shoot. You can get them in 125 gr also.

I've liked these g5 SGH tips

20201209_162110.jpg

I shot a squirrel with a regular field point, the point went through the skin on the bridge of the nose, snapped the animals head back and went through his body. I figured it was dead and went to shake it off my arrow, it wasn't. It started flipping and going nuts while I shook the arrow to get it out, and when it was free to darted up a tree and into nest. It was crazy how it went perfectly between bone and skin on the bridge of its nose. A judo point has more oomph on impact, I'd never shoot a field point at an animal again

Back