• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quick detach drop pouch/dump pouch

Diesel40

Curious if anyone has made any configuration or modifications to their drop pouch/dump pouch (whatever you call them) to be able to switch them quickly depending on your setup for that hunt. It is something I have been pondering of late. Now I don’t have some of these climbing methods yet, but for example: On the private pieces I hunt I have a lot of preset sticks and don’t necessarily need the same gear as if I would be one sticking or 2TC climbing, vs maybe SRT/DRT/JRB methods. I thought it would be a neat idea if you had different pouches setup for different techniques that you could easily switch on and off. Just a thought.

I plan on trying no pouches as well. I find later in the season that when I have the heavier clothes on that the pouches kind of get in in the way. I plan on trying many deferent pouch setups this off season. I picked up a 5.11 push pack that I plan on trying to use instead of pouches also.

Take a look at TX5 pouches they have quick release buckles. There are others.
I don’t use dump pouches very often.

Not to derail the thread, but how do you guys go without dump pouches? Like what's your system set up like? I feel like they're almost a necessity with how I have everything set up but I'd like to eliminate them if I could.

I started daisy chaining my linesman belt and wrapping it around the back to the opposite linesman belt loop. Which almost removes the need for one of my two pouches. But I then started carrying my tether in one pouch and if I am using sticks I carry my straps for my sticks in the other pouch. This is where if I planned on one sticking or no sticking I could drop the one pouch or both pouches and take my rappelling setup instead.

I started daisy chaining my linesman belt and wrapping it around the back to the opposite linesman belt loop. Which almost removes the need for one of my two pouches. But I then started carrying my tether in one pouch and if I am using sticks I carry my straps for my sticks in the other pouch. This is where if I planned on one sticking or no sticking I could drop the one pouch or both pouches and take my rappelling setup instead.

If I am hunting a preset stick,with my linesman’s belt daisy chained all I really need to carry is my tether and gear hanging method and could probably get away with only one pouch

I'll have to revisit daisy chaining my ropes. I used to and I'd have a wad of mangled sticks, beggars lice and all sorts of crap tangled in them. I've switched ropes and they don't seem to pick up as much. I think the dump pouches have probably become more of a comfort thing I don't really need with a couple small tweaks.

without pouches my saddle is streamlined and is easier to pack or wear in.
ropes are easy to access from a pack pocket, or clothes pocket ( hoodie or thigh) as my linesman/ tether are compact at 8mm. LM is the first thing I grab after clipping my pull up rope to my bow.
If rappelling, kit is kept in a latitude dump pouch in my pack, which is clipped to my saddle or belt with plastic niteize s biner . Rappel pouch is put back in pack or clipped to tree in early season.
I sometimes do the same with ROS. Keeps things tidy and quiet.
S biners can make nearly any dump pouch quick connect . There is typically enough room to run a s biner through nylon webbing under the molle attachment.
pouches aren’t ideal on 2 panel saddles for me.

man is it only January?

Curious if anyone has made any configuration or modifications to their drop pouch/dump pouch (whatever you call them) to be able to switch them quickly depending on your setup for that hunt. It is something I have been pondering of late.

I like that idea. Honestly, I used zipper pouches with molle right on my harness. It's compact and everything fits, but it can be a pain zippering in the winter with heavy gloves on. Thinking of switching to more typical dump style pouches. But like TreeCreep said, I tend to keep the heavy use stuff in my cargo pockets rather than pouches.

Definitely been thinking about a better system for my setup

I'm kinda in a similar dilemma.... I have my public system all dialed in for the long walks on most wma. It's pretty small amount of gear but I do take some luxury items that's are useful for that kinda hunting

But the canoe hunts I only really need the bare minimum... Im just gonna put together a while separate system...I like the surplus vests and surplus molle pouches....it may take a little searching and trial and error but u can put together a totally customizable vest/pouch system for really cheap. As long as u empty the pouch the molle stuff is pretty quick to attach and move around

This year I eliminated one dump pouch for my LB and just daisy chain it as suggested by @Diesel40. I do have a Latitude long pouch on my right side which carries my tether and dynaglyde pull up rope/rappel rope retrieval line with a small snap clip. My rappel rope now resides in a pocket on my pack and doesn't come out until I'm ready to run down the tree. I one stick or go to presets so this works great for me and I have less bulk and weight on my saddle. I do however still use a light pair of suspenders (saddlespenders from CGM) then I don't have to monkey with the saddle sliding down. I have no butt so, well you know what happens. Once at hunting hieght I just loosen the suspenders just a tad to give me full mobility and I'm really liking this system a lot.

I've used Safariland forks and Blade-Tec Molle-Locs to swap out subloads on MOLLE panels:

I've also used Velcro Onewrap to attach MOLLE pouches to belts, etc.

I haven't used this system, but I saw something at Menards for swapping out tool belt components:

This Ulticlip system looks like it might work, but maybe it would be better for smaller pouches than a full-size dump pouch:

Personally, the setup I'm working on is an RCH + fleece saddle. Looking at a battle belt / turkey vest / MOLLE lumbar pack setup for pouches, etc. Walking through the woods, I don't need my ropes on my hips, but I might want to freshen up my scent drag. I won't need my scents in the tree, though. The concept I'm playing with is a sling pack/rope pouch/fanny pack / etc. I can attach to my stick for the climb in, then wear as a belt on the way up the tree. I saw a video of someone who used a modified hip quiver to carry his rappel rope, tether, etc. in one belt-mounted container that he could slide from hip to hip depending on his needs at the moment. That looked really simple and slick to me, and flexible enough to easily adjust for different conditions.

Which is all a long way of suggesting that you might move your pouches from your saddle to a belt. You might have a few different belts set up with different components, for different properties.

I’ve got 3 pouches on my saddle and could maybe get away with 2 of them. I’ve got beastons roll up pouch that could surely hold every thing, but I like an even weighted, more balanced system. I’d rather carry two heavy buckets than one kind of thing. The pouches don’t weigh much, just the junk inside.

Blue Force Gear makes dump pouches with helium whisper molle attachment, which secures with Velcro… on and off in seconds, weighs ounces and stows by rolling into itself.

Back