• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quick Link Stopper Knot

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Still trying to lock down my quick link. The overhand twist works fairly well but does tend to flip the quick link. Decided to try a Celtic Slinding Stopper Knot and it works great. Just have to remember to slide it down when rapelling to retrieve the rope.
5fa179eceafd72cb87e8f94cb703cad3.jpg
f0e0e702fcfaa13e40a81b1c0ecfa828.jpg
866cc24a0d655833dbdb4517284e23f6.jpg
34eff6e3eb7f7b952795af51e5ec267d.jpg
a984bb663f1aa4df50285057aa988b02.jpg
b1fa126e39405359460e60395714465e.jpg
543fa8a07239347beaee4f0b82a97401.jpg
041a7b66f8d14df0705acf0601877c59.jpg
b1418b470860cabd17c04c36055aca4e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That’s a beauty. I’m hoping that using the 1” tubular webbing friction saver is going to provide enough grip to prevent sliding.

I had a similar idea. I did a different knot though. I did basically the sliding part of a scaffold knot with a separate piece of rope (looks like two wraps around the main rope). Without a loop, this left a tag end on both sides, with one towards the quick link. I left that tag end a little long and then gave it a few wraps of gorilla duct tape. When I slide it down against the quick link, the quick link goes between the tether rope and the tag end of the slider that is wrapped with duct tape to be made stiff. It has worked really well all last season. Periodically, I grab both tag ends of the sliding scaffold knot piece and pull to tighten the whole assembly up. The scaffold I'm discussing would basically be a double fisherman's knot I think, since it isn't forming the loop.

Your knot is smaller, more symmetrical and clean looking, however. I used the the same rope as the tether (predator).

Last edited:
Beautiful knot I'll have to consult my copy of "The Ashley Book of Knots". If anyone wants an invaluable source for knots and their application this is it.

is your plan for line retrieval to travel the know down or push it through the link before descending?

BTW, a 3” NiteIze gear tie will serve the same purpose, but score way lower on the coolness scale.

Good idea. I use my quick link with stopper while climbing and getting around branches (I'm tethered once I'm more than about 4 feet off the ground). Have you used the niteize in that scenario? When climbing, it's nice to be able slide it down out the way quickly without fear of dropping it. It seems the rubber coating on those things grabs everything really well (one of their major pluses).

Good idea. I use my quick link with stopper while climbing and getting around branches (I'm tethered once I'm more than about 4 feet off the ground). Have you used the niteize in that scenario? When climbing, it's nice to be able slide it down out the way quickly without fear of dropping it. It seems the rubber coating on those things grabs everything really well (one of their major pluses).

I’m not entirely sure I understand your question, but it doesn’t slide as easily as a stopper knot of something like paracord.
The gear tie serves dual purpose for me, though. I also use the excess tag end as a handle as I move my tether up the tree. This is a safety measure. I don’t want my hand between my tether and the tree in case I fall. I don’t want my hand caught.

Since I have added a tubular webbing friction saver, I haven’t noticed as much sliding.

I probably missed this but what’s the reason for the quick link instead of girth hitching the rope around the tree? This is for climbing not your tether?

I probably missed this but what’s the reason for the quick link instead of girth hitching the rope around the tree? This is for climbing not your tether?
It's to make quick connections on a climbing/rappeling rope so that you dont have to pull the whole rope through when going around branches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried a double wrap around the quick link? I know that requires a lineman’s belt in order to detach, but I’ll have to do that anyway to adjust my bridge before I rappel. I was using a hollowblock which worked fine, figured I can eliminate a piece from my line in case the rope gets caught on a branch and I have to pull the tag end all the way through. New to this rappelling thing appreciating all these great ideas.

a9317adb1dcd002c883b4d9e8ba474e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back