• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quick, long storing snacks

Dave_Collins

Use a vacuum sealer to store up some high protein snacks for longer sits. I usually try NOT to eat if I'm only going to be out for 3-5 hours, just so I'm not adding those new smells (both what goes in and what comes later....) to the woods. But if I AM going to sit for long periods, having a high protein snack in packaging that doesn't crinkle and is easy to open is crucial. Here's what I do:

1. Using 8" wide bags (I use the long rolls, the pre-cut ones are fine, but way more expensive), I cut a section about 10-12 inches long. After I seal across one of the short sides, I then turn it 90 degrees and make two more seals about 1/4" apart, as close to center as possible. I cut right down the center of the little railroad tracks I've formed down the long axis, and I now have two long pouches about 3.5" x 10" long.
Snack_bag_tracks.jpgSnack bag small pouch.jpg

2. Once you have the two pouches formed, go to town with whatever snacks you prefer, for this example I used about 7 tbs of peanuts, and three large hunks of beef jerky, it filled the pouch up about 2/3's, and seemed like a decent sized snack. I cinch the bag up to the sealer as close as possible so I'm not left with wasted space and packaging, and commence the suckage. Once it's sealed, I trim away as much excess plastic as possible, and cut a little "v" notch in one of the long sides, with the most plastic left, to allow for easy opening. After that, stow it away, and enjoy a high protein snack whenever you want without worrying about waking up the whole neighborhood!
Snack bag notch.jpgsnack bag open.jpg

that's a great idea, I have always shyed away from eating because all of the packaging is so darn noisy.

That’s exactly why I never did it. So much of the packaging is so noisy. I was opening a pound of venison burger that I’d vacuum sealed and put a little slit on one side and pulled it open. I was struck by how quietly it opened! Mother of invention and all.....

Hmm, thinking you could fill one with chocolate pudding then just tear the corner and have it like one of those energy gels.

I can’t stand chocolate but whatever rocks your world! I’ve been using the vacuum sealer to break down those mega packs of chicken breast into just a few for dinner portions and most recently for double sealing the venison I harvested after I got it back from the butcher in just butcher paper. Works great and really makes a good deal. I think you’d need to have the pudding fairly frozen for it to work as the suction WILL draw fluids out of the bag. Good luck!

I can’t stand chocolate but whatever rocks your world! I’ve been using the vacuum sealer to break down those mega packs of chicken breast into just a few for dinner portions and most recently for double sealing the venison I harvested after I got it back from the butcher in just butcher paper. Works great and really makes a good deal. I think you’d need to have the pudding fairly frozen for it to work as the suction WILL draw fluids out of the bag. Good luck!
Yeah I have used mine for putting up jerky and backpack hunt meals like oats so I can "cook" in the bag. The pudding though had never crossed my mind until I saw your post. :)

Nice! I’ve wrapped cheese and pepperets and stuff in cheese cloth which is silent.

I actually often don’t eat while I’m out and as an Intermittent Faster I can easily go all day including hiking etc without eating until the evening.

I actually had “breakfast” just now at 3:30 pm and I’ve been up since 4:00 am with nothing but a couple cups of coffee

Now COFFEE is a problem for me but I discovered the local store has plastic bottles of “iced coffee” and one of those in the stand at 2 pm hits the spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back