• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quiver on quiver off??

Fgirtyman

SH Member
I usually take my quivers off in my stand. I practice my shooting without the quiver.
I'm wondering if a guy should leave it on for both practice and hunting. I'm thinking it would be a lot less
dinkin around on stand taking it off and hanging up. I'm shooting trad and compounds.
What you all think. It's a dilemma every year!

I usually take my quivers off in my stand. I practice my shooting without the quiver.
I'm wondering if a guy should leave it on for both practice and hunting. I'm thinking it would be a lot less
dinkin around on stand taking it off and hanging up. I'm shooting trad and compounds.
What you all think. It's a dilemma every year!
I always want to leave mine on but rarely ever do. I’ve had instances where a quick follow up shot was necessary and it’s just so much easier loading up again with the quiver attached. However, we have constant wind in the fall and my bow would be flapping all over the place if I kept it on.

I always have mine off and hang it close by so I can grab a back-up arrow quickly if I miss (Haha me miss? NEVER) or the deer I shot is spine shot or something and he/or she needs a follow up arrow. It's only happened like twice in 45 years but it does happen. My bow just feels better balanced with it off too and I don't like the idea of the bright colored fletchings I use (4 fletch white/fl.yellow) moving around like a flag to the deer when I'm moving my bow from the hanger until I shoot.

I always have mine off and hang it close by so I can grab a back-up arrow quickly if I miss (Haha me miss? NEVER) or the deer I shot is spine shot or something and he/or she needs a follow up arrow. It's only happened like twice in 45 years but it does happen. My bow just feels better balanced with it off too and I don't like the idea of the bright colored fletchings I use (4 fletch white/fl.yellow) moving around like a flag to the deer when I'm moving my bow from the hanger until I shoot.
only twice in 45 years? you young whipper snapper..lol I'll probably take the quivers off as usual per woodsdog and your advice.
I never say never so we will see.
I found an old single arrow holder I had years ago and may start using it again for a follow up miss that has happened more than I care to admit.
I'm going to try the single bevels for the trad setup so this single holder might work out. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3404.jpg
    IMG_3404.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 28
Funny. I'm the opposite. I keep mine on all the time and practice with it on. Internet opinions vary on this but the idea is that bows can shoot differently with quiver on vs off. Personally, I can tell that each of my bows react differently with a quiver on vs with it off. That goes for both limb mount and riser mount quivers. This, coupled with the thought that I may encounter an animal while on the walk in (because it's happened before), keeps me keeping it on.

Funny. I'm the opposite. I keep mine on all the time and practice with it on. Internet opinions vary on this but the idea is that bows can shoot differently with quiver on vs off. Personally, I can tell that each of my bows react differently with a quiver on vs with it off. That goes for both limb mount and riser mount quivers. This, coupled with the thought that I may encounter an animal while on the walk in (because it's happened before), keeps me keeping it on.
I get your point there. Thats why I'm undecided. Just put that sucker on and set it and forget it seems appealing.

I get your point there. Thats why I'm undecided. Just put that sucker on and set it and forget it seems appealing.
The only quiver I've had that didn't do this to my bows was a very light Apex riser mount. But a heavy riser mount like my current Hex Lite changes the flight pretty badly.

The only quiver I've had that didn't do this to my bows was a very light Apex riser mount. But a heavy riser mount like my current Hex Lite changes the flight pretty badly.
I have a quiver that has valcro that wraps around to hold it on. I got it from bighorn back when G Fred Asbel had it (rest his soul). it pretty heavy never weighed it. Its quite stable actually, I should try it for a while and see if it makes a difference. what you think?

I have a quiver that has valcro that wraps around to hold it on. I got it from bighorn back when G Fred Asbel had it (rest his soul). it pretty heavy never weighed it. Its quite stable actually, I should try it for a while and see if it makes a difference. what you think?
If you've tuned your bow/arrows with no quiver on, go out and take 3 shots without a quiver. Then go retrieve those same 3 arrows, strap on your quiver, install the amount of arrows you'll be taking into the woods minus 1, and fling those same 3 arrows again. You'll either see a difference or you won't ;)

If you've tuned your setup with a quiver on, follow the logic in the opposite direction.

If you've tuned your bow/arrows with no quiver on, go out and take 3 shots without a quiver. Then go retrieve those same 3 arrows, strap on your quiver, install the amount of arrows you'll be taking into the woods minus 1, and fling those same 3 arrows again. You'll either see a difference or you won't ;)

If you've tuned your setup with a quiver on, follow the logic in the opposite direction.
Will do. I'll give it a subjective try and report back. Thanks O bearded wonder.

I have only had one bow that did not like a Quiver on it. Shot like a turd with a Quiver. With the exception of that bow I have never noticed a difference in how the bow shoots with or without a Quiver. I have noticed that the extra weight is something that I like. Right now my quivers are loaded with broad-heads and hanging in the game room. They will go on their bows around the first of September and stay there until they are done for the year.

It depends on the bows for me. If its a heavier bow like my ILF, I don't like shooting with a quiver on because it does change the balance a lot. But with a small one piece longbow that barely weight a pound, I like the EFA quiver on as the added weight help with stability.

But I agree, you should practice with the setup you plan to release that arrow. But the heavier the bow, the less noticeable the amount of arrows in quiver from my experience.

I fought having a quiver on my bow for years. I tried back quivers, single arrow holders, cat quivers, etc. Mainly because I shot through the summer without it and then it felt unbalanced with it on. I finally decided just to get used to shooting with it on all of the time. Now it feels weird without it. It doesn’t take long to get used to it and IMO a bow quivers the most efficient way to carry arrows.

I fought having a quiver on my bow for years. I tried back quivers, single arrow holders, cat quivers, etc. Mainly because I shot through the summer without it and then it felt unbalanced with it on. I finally decided just to get used to shooting with it on all of the time. Now it feels weird without it. It doesn’t take long to get used to it and IMO a bow quivers the most efficient way to carry arrows.

That is true, a bow quiver is the more efficient way to carry arrows around. Do you have any pictures of how you hang your bow+quiver on the tree while saddle hunting? I'm still trying to figured out that part when I use my one piece longbow with a EFA on it.

I always take the quiver off with my compound as soon as I set up. As for trad bows, I struggled with this for a while (and still have fits from time to time.) I love the idea of not having the quiver on the bow. I've tried Hill back quivers, Cat Quivers and tube style quivers. I keep coming back to bow mounted quivers. I really want to like quiver off on my trad bows but so far, I just haven't found it.

Compound I take the quiver off once in the tree. Tradbow is always quiver on, year round. Practice is always with the quiver full minus one.
I’m gonna give Red Beard’s idea a shot this week. Personally I can’t see me NOT taking the quiver off the compound in stand. Thinking I may leave a quiver on the stick…see if makes a difference in accuracy.

That is true, a bow quiver is the more efficient way to carry arrows around. Do you have any pictures of how you hang your bow+quiver on the tree while saddle hunting? I'm still trying to figured out that part when I use my one piece longbow with a EFA on it.
No pics. Use a screw in bow hanger or sometimes a #12 ground wire doubled over and hooked over my tether on the tree. Tether has to be secured tight or wiggles when you move around. Don’t waste money on a 3D printed bow holder that fits on a tether or you will be picking your bow off the ground! Personal experience.

Back