• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rangefinder advice

Davis21

Looking to upgrade my rangefinder and have narrowed down to vortex, maven, or leauopold. Specifically the HD 4000, rf1, or full draw. Mix of rifle hunting and bow hunting. Each has some pros and cons that I can’t weigh out. Anybody had any bad experiences with any listed?

Only advice I can offer is get one with 6x magnification. I don’t use binos in whitetail woods anymore.
Took the words right outta my keyboard. I only used my 6x Nikon rangefinder for the first 8 seasons until I moved to more open country. I still only use 10x ‘noccers when I’m near a large field, low-light, or after all the foliage is down; they don’t do much that my rangefinder can’t do between Aug-Halloween. I will add though, if the rangefinder does handle low-light well, that’d be a deal-maker for me in deciding which model.

That’s a big reason I like the maven and I vortex 4K. They have 7x mag. Not sure how I’d like the dial on the maven. And I like the flight path indicator on the lewie

Get the Vortex for the warrenty.i have bought a 1000 dollars worth of rangfinders.none of them work.thats why its called a hunting industry.it should be illeagle to sell garbage that doesnt last.its no different than bait and switch theft.and i never used one to harvest an animal.i wont waist anymore money.i just shoot a speedbow.top pin 40 and dont worry.

I have an old Nikon that still works well but recently got a Vortex for the angle compensation feature, bright red display is easier to see in low light and cause I had some Cabelas gift cards burning a hole in my pocket. I've been happy with the Vortex and their warranty/customer service seems top notch.

Vortex binos work great, gather light well, and their replacement plan is second to none as far as I’m aware. I can only imagine the rangefinders are exceptional also. And they offer something in each price category. If I was in the market for a new rangefinder that’s probably where I’d look. I like my Nikon, had it for 11 years with no issues, and I bet the newer ones are great too, just doesn’t do so well in low light.

So I feel like I am missing something. I have been carrying around this old Simon's I purchased for 80$ like 8 years ago?. Ranges out to 300 yards with no issues. Still works. I am far from easy on anything I own. I'm not hunting out west. So for the most part I use it for archery to check my distances. Agree carrying a range finder that doubles as a set of binos is definitely a plus. What do you get spending another $100+ on a range finder I don't know about?

I upgraded my ancient Bushnell rangefinder (went to my kid for Xmas :) ) with the Vortex Viper HD 3000 rangefinder last year before the hunting season. I wanted the angle compensation function.

Works brilliantly, red LED display is awesome in low light, very clear glass and you can't beat the lifetime warranty from Vortex. I didn't go for the top end 4000 since I didn't need the extra range (the 3000 ranges out plenty far for my needs) nor the extra feature or two given the extra cost.

I use a halo xl450. Picked it up on sale a few years ago(appears they are on sale for 75 at Walmart right now normally ~100), works great for my purposes (archery). Apparently people use it for golf too so likely could do fine for rifle ranges as well. I realize that isn't on your list but figure someone else may stumble on this thread in a search

No matter what you do get the lit colored display. It’s ridiculous how the manufacturers that tailor towards hunting in the woods don’t have them all with lit displays. I have the vortex ranger 1800 and love it, lit red display easy reading and 6x magnification which is nice also.

So I feel like I am missing something. I have been carrying around this old Simon's I purchased for 80$ like 8 years ago?. Ranges out to 300 yards with no issues. Still works. I am far from easy on anything I own. I'm not hunting out west. So for the most part I use it for archery to check my distances. Agree carrying a range finder that doubles as a set of binos is definitely a plus. What do you get spending another $100+ on a range finder I don't know about?
I was thinking the same thing. I’ve got an old wildgame innovations that I bought used for $50 around eight years ago. Ranges out to 600 yards and works great. I use it for golf too.

Main reasons in wanting to upgrade is red reticles, faster, angle comp, and little clearer. Also plan on some western hunts coming up and more use on the 3D range

I have the vortex one that goes to 1000. It works great, glass is good but nowhere near as clear as the Binos. But it is clear and takes a pounding. The only thing is if I had to do it again I’d splurge for the red reticle, I really can’t see the black reticle until well after legal light. Which for saddle hunting and never hunting the same spot can be a disaster

If u wanted to save 3 or 4 hundred dollars tidewe has a 6x red display....I've only had for a season but no complaints. Well kinda....the lowest display setting can't be seen super good if the sun's high in the sky and the 2nd lowest setting is kinda too bright at dawn/dusk but I can deal with that to save that much money....pretty simple.to cycle thru display brightness settings

Love my Mavins for everything but the button on the side. Only marsupial makes a case that fits it correctly so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my Mavins for everything but the button on the side. Only marsupial makes a case that fits it correctly so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ever had problems getting in/out pouch? Messing up settings?

Back